Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yodascousin

Reports now that USA is 31% Delta.

After a month we should have a better idea where we are with this new variant causing havoc in the UK. This is why it's so bloody frustrating that they have abandoned basic restrictions, at least for another month or so.
Iā€™m sorry but it is not causing ā€œhavocā€ here in the uk we are no longer in lockdown and havenā€™t been for a month the only thing we canā€™t do is large gatherings and the delta variant is only spreading amongst the unvaccinated and children even our remaining restrictions will be gone by July 19th so please stop spreading misinformation about what is happening here

James J

In the Parks
No
Iā€™m sorry but it is not causing ā€œhavocā€ here in the uk we are no longer in lockdown and havenā€™t been for a month the only thing we canā€™t do is large gatherings and the delta variant is only spreading amongst the unvaccinated and children even our remaining restrictions will be gone by July 19th so please stop spreading misinformation about what is happening here

The Delta variant in the UK is being caught by vaccinated people as well, albeit at a much lower rate and in those of an older age or by those who have so far only had one dose. Vaccinated people who do get it are largely either going to be asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms, as with the other variants like the Alpha one. To say it's 'only spreading amongst the unvaccinated and children' would not be totally accurate.

Here's an article we've discussed in this thread before: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/11/delta-variant-is-linked-to-90-of-covid-cases-in-uk

Last edited:

Touchdown

The Delta variant in the UK is being caught by vaccinated people as well, albeit at a much lower rate and in those of an older age or by those who have so far only had one dose. Vaccinated people who do get it are largely either going to be asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms, as with the other variants like the Alpha one. To say it's 'only spreading amongst the unvaccinated and children' would not be totally accurate.

Here's an article we've discussed in this thread before: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/11/delta-variant-is-linked-to-90-of-covid-cases-in-uk
Having Covid become just another cold is an acceptable outcome of vaccination, thatā€™s why no one cares. So long as the very few vaccinated people who get it are (unless they are immunosuppressed) asymptomatic/mild infection the shots worked.

seascape

This is why I don't like weekly reporting. We now have 2 straight days with an increase in Covid19 cases in the US. The Times is reporting another increase of 122 cases. That is a 2 day total of 227 cases. Yes, its only a tiny increase but there are still 3 more days before Florida reports and while I am one of the more optimistic people here, I am a numbers person and want everyone to act responsibly. Please enjoy yourself but use some caution. If you are not vaccinated you are putting yourself and others at risk because the variants are taking over and the risk you are taking is dangerous to you and others. We have Covid19 on the run and must defeat it and we can and will if we all do the right thing. We have 14 statess at 5 cases per 100,000 or more and 37 at 4 or less. Please don't let things get worse.

pixie225

Even for something like travel medical insurance?
Most travel policies will cover pre-existing conditions if you buy within a certain period of time. The company I use (Travelguard) has a 14 day time period. As soon as we book a vacay (that includes Disney, cruises, etc.) my next call is to buy trip insurance as 3 in my family have pre-existing conditions.

DisneyCane

There were zero state mandated restrictions in FL after Sept 2020. Some local governments had their own restrictions but after July 1 it is no longer legal for a local government to implement any covid restrictions in the state of FL. That was passed into law by the legislature and is no longer just an executive order. Businesses are free to implement whatever rules they want, but there will be no government imposed restrictions due to a future outbreak at least in FL and in a number of other states as well.
I don't think that is completely accurate. Based upon my interpretation of the FL law, if there was a major outbreak a local government could declare a State of Emergency and mandate restrictions. However, the length of the emergency is limited to a maximum of 42 days and the Governor has the explicit statutory authority to end the local State of Emergency at any time.

It's a moot issue because the counties which would desire to implement restrictions are also the counties with the highest vaccination rates which make an outbreak that causes a legitimate local emergency (defined as high hospitalizations and deaths) to be very unlikely.

DisneyCane

Tell it to the hundreds of people who have already died after being fully vaccinated.

I see no point continuing this discussion with you.
How many people who are fully vaccinated have died of "not COVID-19" in the same period of time? The answer is a lot more than hundreds.

You are free to do whatever you want and take whatever precautions you feel are warranted. Since you are fully vaccinated, my opinion is that you have an irrational fear of COVID. However, if it makes you or anybody else happier to continue to wear a mask or avoid crowds or whatever you continue to do then, by all means, continue to do it.

DisneyCane

I stop short of this. It bothers me. I see it here a lot, and I get why some say it (probably some are just venting.) I do feel bad for people dying of this no matter their politics or their reasons. I expect most were victims of being misled by someone or other. I'm sure some were just jerks, too, but I still don't wish jerks dead or think "who cares if they die." At this point, most are just senseless deaths.
When relatively intelligent people like one of my best friends won't get vaccinated due to whacko reasons like the mRNA vaccines alter your DNA and won't listen to reason from me (when he normally highly respects my opinion) then I honestly can't care if he gets COVID and has a serious illness. Obviously, I don't want that to happen but I can't worry about it and I certainly don't have any desire to try to protect him beyond being vaccinated myself.

He shares my politics and I still can't make any headway with him. Part of it is that several of his family members including his older sister and older brother-in-law had COVID and none of them had a serious illness and therefore he doesn't consider it a risk to be unvaccinated.

I would care if he dies for sure but I have neither the time nor the inclination to worry about it due to his stance on vaccination.

DisneyCane

The administration says the US will not hit the goal of 70% of all adults vaccinated by July 4th as it will take several weeks longer to hit that target. However, we have already reached 70% of adults over 30 with 1 shot and and they expect to hit 70% of adults 27+ by July 4.

The Biden administration won't reach its "aspirational" goal of getting 70% of adult Americans at least partially vaccinated for COVID-19 by the Fourth of July, White House Coronavirus Response CoordinatorJeff Zients said Tuesday.

Sixteen states and the District of Columbia have reached the goal already ā€“ but some states are at less than 50% of all adults, Zients said at a White House briefing. Still, the goal of at least partially vaccinating 70% of Americans ages 30 and older has been reached, he said, adding that the administration also is on track to hit the 70% target for ages 27 and older by the Fourth of July weekend.

Zients said it will take a few more weeks to reach 70% of all adults but called the current numbers "amazing progress."

"This is cause of celebration, and that is exactly what Americans will be able to do on July 4th, celebrate independence from the virus," Zients said. "We will have a Fourth of July celebration that is beyond anyone's expectations."

Dr. Anthony Fauci, Biden's chief medical adviser, stressed that the press to get more people vaccinated will continue.

"No one should think that when we reach 70% (of all adults) across the country that we are done," Fauci said. "We are not done until we completely crush this outbreak."

That's some epic spin! We reached a goal that didn't exist but didn't reach the goal that did exist. Talking about over 30 vaccination rates hides the issue with people under 40. Since the rate is so high over 65, saying 70% over 30 are vaccinated doesn't provide a true picture.

I think that disappointment should have been expressed about not reaching the 70% and there should have been focus on the Delta variant being a reason to get vaccinated.

It's very bad messaging to have Zients saying that we can celebrate independence from the virus on July 4th but then have Fauci saying we aren't done and still won't be done even if we meet the 70% goal.

Yodascousin

Yes but people would still become positive regardless of the variant as vaccines are not 100 percent but we can agree that the majority of cases are in the unvaccinated I donā€™t regard the few positives in the fully vaccinated as any cause for concern as there would always be breakthrough infections....my problem was with the term causing havoc as I donā€™t believe it is unless you disagree?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

To be totally accurate 93.3% of infections were in people not fully vaccinated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's some epic spin! We reached a goal that didn't exist but didn't reach the goal that did exist. Talking about over 30 vaccination rates hides the issue with people under 40. Since the rate is so high over 65, saying 70% over 30 are vaccinated doesn't provide a true picture.

I think that disappointment should have been expressed about not reaching the 70% and there should have been focus on the Delta variant being a reason to get vaccinated.

It's very bad messaging to have Zients saying that we can celebrate independence from the virus on July 4th but then have Fauci saying we aren't done and still won't be done even if we meet the 70% goal.
The whole point of highlighting the over 30 stat was to point out the disappointment in younger people who arenā€™t getting vaccinated enough. They also pointed out that we would reach the 70% of all adults a few weeks later anyway. I donā€™t think that saying we should be celebrating ā€œindependence from the virusā€ and saying we arenā€™t done with vaccinations have to be mutually exclusive statements. For the nearly 70% of adults vaccinated itā€™s something great to celebrate. The other 30% need to get done. The unvaccinated have nothing to celebrate. They are playing Russian roulette and some will inevitably lose.

havoc315

Well, let's dig a little deeper into Israel. Their 2 week average of cases is up 86% but 2 weeks ago they had 16 cases as their average and today its 29. That really isn't statistically significant but some articles and news outlets would have you think differently. Covid is all but smashed in Israel.

As I said, the problem with using a 7-day average is that it is a lagging indicator. You don't necessarily recognize the start of a new surge until you're already pretty deep into it.
So yesterday, the 7-day average was 29.... Could just be statistical noise, compared to the average of 15-17 in the days and weeks earlier..
Now, just 1 day later, the 7-day average is 54... Israel has now had 3 days in a row of 80+ cases.

Now, context is important. A rise from 15 to 54 is hardly panic time. 54 is still quite low, historically for this virus in Israel. I expect this number to continue to rise. I do NOT expect it to get anywhere close to the peaks of January 2020. NOWHERE close.
So in context, in Israel, with 60% of the population vaccinated, I expect the viral numbers to "stay under control." But I do suspect we are seeing a surge -- it will go much higher than 54, while remaining much lower than January 2020. (when the average his 8,000).
But it does show that, as it turns out, Israel's 60% vaccination was insufficient to create herd immunity, particularly as to the Delta variant. (Different variants can have different herd immunity thresholds, based on transmissibility and vaccination effectiveness).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is the reality we are living in:

Fully vaccinated people are about as protected from the Delta variant as they are from other versions of the virus.

The emergence of that variant could mean that while communities with high vaccination rates continue to return to normal, states where vaccinations lag could suddenly find themselves thrust into a new wave of infections and deaths.

ā€œWeā€™re emerging into two COVID nations,ā€ Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine, told Yahoo News. Hotez pointed to the Northeast, the mid-Atlantic region and the Pacific Coast as having successfully hit their immunization targets, but he said there are ā€œconcerningly low vaccination ratesā€ elsewhere, ā€œespecially among young people in Southern states.ā€ Young people infected with the Delta variant were behind the U.K.ā€™s recent rise in cases.

ImperfectPixie

This is the reality we are living in:

Fully vaccinated people are about as protected from the Delta variant as they are from other versions of the virus.

The emergence of that variant could mean that while communities with high vaccination rates continue to return to normal, states where vaccinations lag could suddenly find themselves thrust into a new wave of infections and deaths.

ā€œWeā€™re emerging into two COVID nations,ā€ Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine, told Yahoo News. Hotez pointed to the Northeast, the mid-Atlantic region and the Pacific Coast as having successfully hit their immunization targets, but he said there are ā€œconcerningly low vaccination ratesā€ elsewhere, ā€œespecially among young people in Southern states.ā€ Young people infected with the Delta variant were behind the U.K.ā€™s recent rise in cases.
"Emerging"? No. We've been two COVID nations from the start thanks to certain actions early on.

Jrb1979

Maybe two separate attitudes at the start, but now we're approaching a period where we see two divergent outcomes.
The problem is there is still too many places with low vaccination rates. There will continue to be outbreaks for awhile. Too much hesitancy out there. The attitude of those vaccinated doesn't help either.

Vaccine passports would have gone a long way to fix things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom