News Disneyland modifies mask policy - UPDATE 7/28/21

Stevek

Speaking of all that.... is there any state in the union that has any formal process to force people to show their vaccination status before they purchase a product or service from a private business? Or from any state or local government office or service?

I can't think of one, can anyone else?

There is no federal system of vaccination tracking, and likely never will be. And I don't know of any state in the union that has a statewide vaccination tracking system that allows (or prevents) anyone in that state from accessing public accomodations.

Can anyone think of a US state that is doing that with vaccination records or proof? I can't.
Are we talking about covid vaccine or any vaccine? If the latter, schools have been requiring proof of vaccination for years. Assume that's still a thing?

October82

Or travel anywhere

Less than half of Americans have a passport. I'm guessing there's substantial overlap between those who "choose not to get vaccinated" and those who "chose not to travel".

Of course, those who are most vulnerable to suffer from Covid aren't getting vaccinated for the same reasons they aren't traveling or able to send to children to college, none of which is by choice.

Jefro

Speaking of all that.... is there any state in the union that has any formal process to for2ce people to show their vaccination status before they purchase a product or service from a private business? Or from any state or local government office or service?

I can't think of one, can anyone else?

There is no federal system of vaccination tracking, and likely never will be. And I don't know of any state in the union that has a statewide vaccination tracking system that allows (or prevents) anyone in that state from accessing public accomodations.

Can anyone think of a US state that is doing that with vaccination records or proof? I can't.
We are for residents re-entry from the mainland or travel between islands without quarantine or pretest in Hawai'i. And with the pretest costing $150 still out here, and a mask mandate still in effect for indoors, vaccines are necessary to travel and visit family. Long term, when we hit 60% vaccinated, mainland folk will need the same to bypass pretest or quarantine options.

So no mask here, good luck finding a place to not have a mask and be served. We as restaurants and service industry people are required by the department of health to ask for a mask otherwise we'll be shut down, which is already happened in our community. And it's an economic issue because when we're shut down we can't make any money, so we will choose losing customers over losing days worth of business.

The same rings true in areas like California there is an outbreak in a business they are shut down. For some the risk that just isn't worth the time or effort to placate the people that just want to move on with life.

I don't mean to be rude, but you guys come across as a little bit hard-hearted towards the business owners and what we're actually going through. I already lost a thriving business this year due to covid related issues and have worked really hard to keep my people paid and insured in spite of that.

You are "voting" but the message isn't getting you anything.

Last edited:

TP2000

Are we talking about covid vaccine or any vaccine? If the latter, schools have been requiring proof of vaccination for years. Assume that's still a thing?

I was talking about Covid vaccine. And I was specifically talking about private industry and commerce.

Public schools are a bit of a one-off. And yes, they generally require vaccines to attend; MMRV, TDap, Meningitis ACWY, and sometimes Twinrix or HPV. Add Covid to that list of public school vaccines. In my day it was just a Measles and a Polio shot before September, but that list has grown quite a bit since then as science has thankfully advanced.

But because we're mainly talking about Disneyland (a private business), I was focused on private businesses. So I'll ask again... Is there any state in the union requiring Covid vaccine proof to get into a supermarket, or an Applebee's, or a Bank of America, or a Target, or a Six Flags park? I can't think of one. 🧐

Currently, I can think of no working vaccine tracking system at the federal level or at any state level to regulate a person's access to private industry and public accomodation.

George Lucas on a Bench

I had my first Mask Complainer today on a job. The customer said the Mother was Immunocompromised, so of course I grabbed an N95 mask, as I'm more than happy to do. Otherwise, it's been smooth sailing 5 or 6 households a day since the mandate was dropped and I showed proof of my pathetic fake-looking Vaccine Card that's too big to fit in my Universal Studios lanyards. Absolutely no Maskers or other Mask Requests at this point, although I still wear them in Old Folks Homes even though they're all vaccinated and it more than likely is just Health Theatre.

Tamandua

I had my first Mask Complainer today on a job. The customer said the Mother was Immunocompromised, so of course I grabbed an N95 mask, as I'm more than happy to do. Otherwise, it's been smooth sailing 5 or 6 households a day since the mandate was dropped and I showed proof of my pathetic fake-looking Vaccine Card that's too big to fit in my Universal Studios lanyards. Absolutely no Maskers or other Mask Requests at this point, although I still wear them in Old Folks Homes even though they're all vaccinated and it more than likely is just Health Theatre.
What do you do for work?

TP2000

We are for residents re-entry from the mainland or travel between islands without quarantine or pretest in Hawai'i. And with the pretest costing $150 still out here, and a mask mandate still in effect for indoors, vaccines are necessary to travel and visit family. Long term, when we hit 60% vaccinated, mainland folk will need the same to bypass pretest or quarantine options.

So no mask here, good luck finding a place to not have a mask and be served. We as restaurants and service industry people are required by the department of health to ask for a mask otherwise we'll be shut down, which is already happened in our community. And it's an economic issue because when we're shut down we can't make any money, so we will choose losing customers over losing days worth of business.

Hawaii is among the highest states for vaccination rates. But they are also the last US state with indoor mask mandates in place according to my AARP newsletter, in spite of their high vaccination rates.

#1 Vermont = 64.3% Fully Vaccinated
#13 Hawaii = 50.9% Fully Vaccinated
#18 California = 48.3% Fully Vaccinated
#50 Mississippi = 28.9% Fully Vaccinated

But there still is no requirement in Hawaii that private businesses require proof of vaccination for a person to do business with them. All patrons in Hawaii just have to wear a mask indoors.

I'm still confident that no state in the union has any sort of system in place that requires a customer to show proof of vaccination to gain entry to a business, or receive products or services from a private business. I just don't see that happening in the USA. Ever.

The same rings true in areas like California there is an outbreak in a business they are shut down. For some the risk that just isn't worth the time or effort to placate the people that just want to move on with life.

I don't mean to be rude, but you guys come across as a little bit hard-hearted towards the business owners and what we're actually going through. I already lost a thriving business this year due to covid related issues and have worked really hard to keep my people paid and insured in spite of that.

I think you'll find that many of us here are very sympathetic to the plight of small business owners over the past year. What some state governments (California in particular) put their small business owners through is nearly criminal, and the destroyed businesses and ruined livelihoods left behind in their bureaucratic wake is shameful. Just ask Disneyland. :oops:

I'm not up to speed on what Hawaii's bureaucrats in Honolulu did to damage private business and small family firms across the islands, but it sounds like it was just as horrific as what happened here in California. Again, it's criminal.

That said, I know of no business in California that was shut down because of a specific Covid outbreak. California's contract tracing program is not nearly efficient enough or effective enough to track and trace such a thing to a specific business. There have certainly been groups of employees who all contracted Covid. But Sacramento then coming in and manditorily shutting down that business because of that? I don't know of any case of that happening in the Golden State in the past year.

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I'm Just a Gigolo
Time to change your name to Deuce Bigelow on a Bench.

1624480640138.png

cmwade77

Hawaii is among the highest states for vaccination rates. But they are also the last US state with indoor mask mandates in place according to my AARP newsletter, in spite of their high vaccination rates.

#1 Vermont = 64.3% Fully Vaccinated
#13 Hawaii = 50.9% Fully Vaccinated
#18 California = 48.3% Fully Vaccinated
#50 Mississippi = 28.9% Fully Vaccinated

But there still is no requirement in Hawaii that private businesses require proof of vaccination for a person to do business with them. All patrons in Hawaii just have to wear a mask indoors.

I'm still confident that no state in the union has any sort of system in place that requires a customer to show proof of vaccination to gain entry to a business, or receive products or services from a private business. I just don't see that happening in the USA. Ever.

I think you'll find that many of us here are very sympathetic to the plight of small business owners over the past year. What some state governments (California in particular) put their small business owners through is nearly criminal, and the destroyed businesses and ruined livelihoods left behind in their bureaucratic wake is shameful. Just ask Disneyland. :oops:

I'm not up to speed on what Hawaii's bureaucrats in Honolulu did to damage private business and small family firms across the islands, but it sounds like it was just as horrific as what happened here in California. Again, it's criminal.

That said, I know of no business in California that was shut down because of a specific Covid outbreak. California's contract tracing program is not nearly efficient enough or effective enough to track and trace such a thing to a specific business. There have certainly been groups of employees who all contracted Covid. But Sacramento then coming in and manditorily shutting down that business because of that? I don't know of any case of that happening in the Golden State in the past year.
Actually, Foggia in Lakewood was shut down for a few weeks due to a COVID outbreak among their staff. The owners (who were not in contact with those affected) sanitized and donated all perishables that they could that would have gone bad during that time to a local food bank. But I don't believe they were forced to do so, they did it out of an abundance of caution when a couple of their employees tested positive. I did hear of a couple of businesses in central California that were forced to shut down because they refused to require people that were 90 years old to eat outside in 110 degree heat though. Owners were even arrested over it.

If a business in Hawaii is still requiring masks because the state stupidly says they have to, I get that, but in California, they don't have to and I absolutely will vote with my wallet here.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
According to WUL50, here's the updated mask policy for CM's -

"Effective Saturday June 26th the first adjustment to health and safety guidelines for cast take place.

Cast physical distancing and secondary PPE will become OPTIONAL for all cast members. Face coverings for vaccinated cast members will become OPTIONAL outdoors. Face covering will be required outdoors for cast not fully vaccinated. All cast are still be required to wear face coverings indoors, select health operations, and in enclosed vehicles.

Cast who feel more comfortable using Disney issued face covering and other secondary PPE (shields, googles, etc.) will still be allowed to do so. Vaccination is still available through health services. We expect these safety procedures to evolve over time."

SoCalDisneyLover

Cast physical distancing and secondary PPE will become OPTIONAL for all cast members. Face coverings for vaccinated cast members will become OPTIONAL outdoors. Face covering will be required outdoors for cast not fully vaccinated. All cast are still be required to wear face coverings indoors, select health operations, and in enclosed vehicles.
Is the vaccination proof based on the honor system, or do cast members need to provide something showing they've been vaccinated?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
According to WUL50, here's the updated policy for vaccinated CM's and indoor masks -

"COVID Operations Update July 7th

Cast Member health and safety guidelines were updated and implemented today. Face coverings for cast members who have attested to being vaccinated will no longer be a requirement when working outdoor and indoor. Vaccinated cast may voluntarily wear a face covering. Face covering are still required in specific situation (riding in a company vehicle for example)."

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disneyland is in process of updating their site -

As with Disney World, beginning July 30, Cast Members and Guests ages 2 and up must wear face coverings in all indoor locations at Disneyland regardless of vaccination status.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom