Rumor Avengers E-Ticket More Dead Than You'd Think

Tamandua

Don't let anyone tell you you're alone in feeling that way, because my interest in all things MCU has dropped off dramatically since Endgame too. I've attempted to watch WandaVision, but never finished it. I haven't even thought about starting the other 2 series. I probably will see Black Widow when it comes out... and Thor: Love and Thunder just because I'm a Taika Waititi geek. But as far as being excited for the MCU's future? I don't know... It just doesn't feel as special anymore.

I also never bothered to read any subsequent books that JK Rowling put out after Deathly Hollows either, so maybe its a trend for me.
I actually watched wandavision but I didn't like it. I haven't watched the other series. Maybe wandavision helped kill my interest. Our family has subscribed to the Disney+ annual plan twice, but I'm pretty sure we're going to let it expire in a couple months. I haven't watched anything on there in a while and my kids watch the same stuff over and over. They'd be better off with dvds.

Mac Tonight

I actually watched wandavision but I didn't like it. I haven't watched the other series. Maybe wandavision helped kill my interest. Our family has subscribed to the Disney+ annual plan twice, but I'm pretty sure we're going to let it expire in a couple months. I haven't watched anything on there in a while and my kids watch the same stuff over and over. They'd be better off with dvds.
About the only thing I currently watch on D+ is The Simpsons and the old Medford College movies starring Kurt Russell. I enjoyed 2/3 of The Imagineering Story, and Prop Culture was pretty interesting. And of course, Spin and Marty was a great dose of nostalgia.

I wish they would do more Parks specific content, including older attraction ride-thrus. A guy can dream, right?

Last edited:

Tamandua

About the only thing I currently watch on D+ is The Simpsons and the old movies Medford College movies starring Kurt Russell. I enjoyed 2/3 of The Imagineering Story, and Prop Culture was pretty interesting. And of course, Spin and Marty was a great dose of nostalgia.

I wish they would do more Parks specific content, including older attraction ride-thrus. A guy can dream, right?
I think they are doing a Behind the Attraction thing soon, but if it's anything like the disingenuous Imagineering Story then it will be bland and pointless.

Mac Tonight

Pixar has some really zealous defenders. In my opinion they probably bat 50/50, with most of the misses just being meh. I think Pixar got kind of lucky that they have an excuse to dump stuff on Disney+. I don't think the likes of Luca would have fared well in a traditional release.
Agreed. I was (and basically still am) a Pixar fan... but I honestly think they get a pretty generous pass from a lot of people, simply based on their name.

I'm honestly trying to recall the last Pixar film I was truly blown away by... *cricket chirps*... I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Mac Tonight

I think they are doing a Behind the Attraction thing soon, but if it's anything like the disingenuous Imagineering Story then it will be bland and pointless.
While I don't doubt the presence of some corporate back-patting, fingers crossed, I have slightly more faith in that since it's being produced by Dwayne Johnson and directed by the guys behind The Toys That Made Us, which is a FANTASTIC series on Netflix (if you're into toys, that is).

Sharon&Susan

The site that must not be named has pictures of concept art that are displayed inside Disneyland Paris' new Marvel hotel. Not sure how much of it is new.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can one dislike something that's popular? Sure. No problem.

Can one dislike something that's popular and then assume it's no longer popular? ROFL. No. That's denying reality.

For the most part, Pixar and Marvel MCU content (Theater and D+) are both insanely popular, profitable, and get high ratings from critics and audiences.

If you don't like them, that's OK. Just don't assume everyone feels the same, especially when there is *evidence* that *many many* people still enjoy it, and it's just not the opinion of one person v. another. It's the opinion of a minority v. a large majority.

The people's enjoyment of Marvel and Pixar are their opinions. That there are insanely large numbers of people who enjoy them is fact, not opinion.

Tamandua

Can one dislike something that's popular? Sure. No problem.

Can one dislike something that's popular and then assume it's no longer popular? ROFL. No. That's denying reality.

For the most part, Pixar and Marvel MCU content (Theater and D+) are both insanely popular, profitable, and get high ratings from critics and audiences.

If you don't like them, that's OK. Just don't assume everyone feels the same, especially when there is *evidence* that *many many* people still enjoy it, and it's just not the opinion of one person v. another. It's the opinion of a minority v. a large majority.

The people's enjoyment of Marvel and Pixar are their opinions. That there are insanely large numbers of people who enjoy them is fact, not opinion.
The debate was never about how popular they were. The question is whether their popularity is diminishing. I've heard a fair number of people say the same thing I've said about marvel fatigue. It's not some outlier opinion. I'm sure a lot of new fans have come around since it all started, but it's far from anomaly for people to be tired of marvel.

As for Pixar, their reputation has been in decline for years, despite what the rabid fan boys and girls say. If Disney/Pixar felt like they had a series of guaranteed hits on their hands, they would have postponed the releases like they did for the marvel movies, jungle cruise, etc. Instead they saw an opportunity to save face on some movies with questionable appeal and took the easy path through streaming for free. Not even premier pay tier... Just Disney+ subscription releases for Soul, Luca, and Onward*.

*Onward flopped at the start of covid and was quickly put onto Disney+. How much of it was due to covid is debatable.

Robbiem

I'm I the only person that watched all the MCU movies up until Endgame but now feels like I want to stop? I like most of the movies but it starts to feel overbearing trying to keep up and remember everything going on from all the movies. I was 25 and had lots of time when the first Marvel movie came out. Now I'm 38 and have kids and much less time for it. And now there's all these TV shows tying into it making it even more complicated. None of the upcoming Marvel movies sound really appealing to me, and I think I'm going to stop seeing them. Maybe someday I'll go back and watch them at my convenience, but the days of me going to the theater to watch the Marvel movies is over.
I watched through the Marvel movies last year when disney plus came to the UK. Most were OK, some were rubbish some were great but I have to say other than set pieces I don’t remember much of the plots etc. The TV series on Disney plus I haven’t enjoyed that much. I got through wandavision but I bailed after two episodes of falcon and will probably do the same for Loki. I think you just need to know too much history from the movies to understand them.

Endgame came at the right time precovid. It will be interesting to see if the new movies do as well or if it will be a slow decline especially with the gap between movies

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I know you all hate Jim Hill but he explicitly said on his podcast this week that this is still on, just delayed indefinitely, and the current delay has more to do with the death of Chadwick Bozeman than Covid.

DavidDL

Anecdotally, I had MARVEL fatigue kick in shortly after Age of Ultron. I was super hyped for that one but left disappointed. I did go and see Ant-Man afterwards because I had the good fortune to be working on the film but after that I entered a lull until 2018's Infinity War. That movie alone pulled me right back in and rekindled my affection for the franchise.

So, I guess all it takes is one piece of media that one thinks is well made enough to get the engine running again.

Last edited:

Anjin

The debate was never about how popular they were. The question is whether their popularity is diminishing. I've heard a fair number of people say the same thing I've said about marvel fatigue. It's not some outlier opinion. I'm sure a lot of new fans have come around since it all started, but it's far from anomaly for people to be tired of marvel.

As for Pixar, their reputation has been in decline for years, despite what the rabid fan boys and girls say. If Disney/Pixar felt like they had a series of guaranteed hits on their hands, they would have postponed the releases like they did for the marvel movies, jungle cruise, etc. Instead they saw an opportunity to save face on some movies with questionable appeal and took the easy path through streaming for free. Not even premier pay tier... Just Disney+ subscription releases for Soul, Luca, and Onward*.

*Onward flopped at the start of covid and was quickly put onto Disney+. How much of it was due to covid is debatable.
Like you, I have read and heard from several people who have speculated that Marvel's popularity has been waning since Endgame. Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell if this is based in some evidence or just anecdotal. With no box office releases to gauge against since Spider-Man: Far From Home, it's not like we even know what the demand is. The TV shows have their proponents and detractors so that may be an indication. But I think that we won't know for sure until movies start coming out whether there is a Marvel Fatigue or not.

This may seem off topic, but I think it is instructive. Back in the early 2010's, everyone (press, pundits, and industry insiders) knew that the home video game console business was dead and that everyone would be playing games on mobile devices. They thought it was just a matter of time. But then the new consoles were released (at the time, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) and they sold like gang busters. The industry was caught flat-footed and had to rush new games into development to meet the demand. Even a generation later, the manufacturers can't keep up with demand for new systems.

I bring that up to make this point: we don't know if there is demand until the product it released. Maybe Black Widow, Shang Chi, Doctor Strange, and Thor will all release to a dull thud. Or maybe they will be the embers that spark the next wave of excitement and anticipation. It's too soon to say one way or another.

UNCgolf

Anecdotally, I had MARVEL fatigue kick in shortly after Age of Ultron. I was super hyped for that one but left disappointed. I did go and see Ant-Man afterwards because I had the good fortune to be working on the film but after that I entered a lull until 2018's Infinity War. That movie alone pulled me right back in and rekindled my affection for the franchise.

So, I guess all it takes is one piece of media that one thinks is well made enough to get the engine running again.

Age of Ultron was one of the worst Marvel movies, so not surprising.

Tamandua

Like you, I have read and heard from several people who have speculated that Marvel's popularity has been waning since Endgame. Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell if this is based in some evidence or just anecdotal. With no box office releases to gauge against since Spider-Man: Far From Home, it's not like we even know what the demand is. The TV shows have their proponents and detractors so that may be an indication. But I think that we won't know for sure until movies start coming out whether there is a Marvel Fatigue or not.

This may seem off topic, but I think it is instructive. Back in the early 2010's, everyone (press, pundits, and industry insiders) knew that the home video game console business was dead and that everyone would be playing games on mobile devices. They thought it was just a matter of time. But then the new consoles were released (at the time, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) and they sold like gang busters. The industry was caught flat-footed and had to rush new games into development to meet the demand. Even a generation later, the manufacturers can't keep up with demand for new systems.

I bring that up to make this point: we don't know if there is demand until the product it released. Maybe Black Widow, Shang Chi, Doctor Strange, and Thor will all release to a dull thud. Or maybe they will be the embers that spark the next wave of excitement and anticipation. It's too soon to say one way or another.
Black Widow is getting the Disney+ premiere release at the same time as the theatrical release, which will certainly hurt the theatrical numbers. As they don't release Disney+ data, at most we'll be able to guess how popular it is, though if it does make a relative flop I bet piracy will be blamed. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people went to see Black Widow just to feel normal again after covid, but then again I think a lot of people are happy to leave the theatrical experience behind.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the Marvel movies, for the most part anyways, but there's a lot of Marvel content I'm paying for on Disney+ that I'm not even watching. I think the new entries in the series will be the most telling. The eternals or whatever that is. If those fail to bring in audiences then we'll know that Marvel is in decline, and if Disney starts doing the simultaneous streaming releases for those, you'll know they're starting to lose confidence as well. IF Marvel is going to maintain its level of popularity, it's going to need a lot of younger viewers to make up for those of us aging out of it.

I think in Captain Marvel, when they reveal that Nick Fury's eye was taken out by a cat, I said to myself "If they're not taking this seriously anymore, then I'm not going to either."

CaptinEO

You can apply this to Star Wars as well. They even had a movie that failed a few years back. Disney is really pushing certain brands to fatigue.

To summarize:

Disney greenlit too many Star Wars movies at once and released Solo just a few months after the Last Jedi. Solo lost money for the company.

Now Mandalorian is popular and Disney has greenlit too many Star Wars TV Shows at once and most likely history will repeat its self.

Remake fatigue has to be growing as well I'd imagine.

No Name

I'm I the only person that watched all the MCU movies up until Endgame but now feels like I want to stop? I like most of the movies but it starts to feel overbearing trying to keep up and remember everything going on from all the movies. I was 25 and had lots of time when the first Marvel movie came out. Now I'm 38 and have kids and much less time for it. And now there's all these TV shows tying into it making it even more complicated. None of the upcoming Marvel movies sound really appealing to me, and I think I'm going to stop seeing them. Maybe someday I'll go back and watch them at my convenience, but the days of me going to the theater to watch the Marvel movies is over.
You were 25 and now you’re 38. Someone else was 12 and now they’re 25. The MCU may never reach Endgame levels again but it’ll probably do fine.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

What data do you have that shows that interest in Marvel and Pixar's popularity is in decline other than "everyone knows."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom