Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Brer Panther

We've been over this sooo much I'm really tired of it, but I have to ask: "SOS is after the civil war, and the folks he's talking about were 'happy sharecroppers', right?'
Yeah. The main problem, from what I've heard, is that it still paints a romanticized picture of a time when blacks had it rough. But I've seen that exact same complaint thrown at The Princess and the Frog, too.

Rich T

Yeah. The main problem, from what I've heard, is that it still paints a romanticized picture of a time when blacks had it rough. But I've seen that exact same complaint thrown at The Princess and the Frog, too.
Not to keep repeating myself (I posted a synopsis of the film a couple of weeks ago), but one of the major problems with the film’s story is the point when Remus suddenly packs up and leaves, abandoning his friends, his home of many, many years, his girlfriend, his extended family and all the black kids who love his stories... all because he can’t tell any more stories to ONE RICH WHITE KID HE’S JUST MET. It’s a moment that absolutely ruins the character.

And there’s no sweeping this under a rug: One of the animated setpieces revolves around the visual embodiment of a particularly awful racial slur. Yeah, that’s a problem.

Sharon&Susan

"...when we opened Tower of.. something or another, all the kids were watching the brand new Outer Limits episode that aired every night on HBO. Sadly that is no longer the case especially after we sold the Alfred Hitchcock show to that eye company making it less Disney. We decided to retheme it to the most Disney property we could think of, Guardians of the Galaxy TM."
-Bob Chapek

No Name

For the record Bob Chapek never said the ride depicts happy slaves and I’m not sure why that’s being tossed around here. He said the ride is based on Song of the South which is based on stories that depict happy slaves. That’s only sort of incorrect. It feels like he doesn’t truly understand the issue but he’s trying to remember what someone from his staff told him.

Ugh, am I defending Bob Chapek? While I’m at it… getting the opening date of an attraction wrong isn’t really a huge deal.

I think the most interesting discussion from that clip would be about his criticism of “superfans” and whether them not wanting anything to change is true.

Practical Pig

For the record Bob Chapek never said the ride depicts happy slaves and I’m not sure why that’s being tossed around here. He said the ride is based on Song of the South which is based on stories that depict happy slaves. That’s only sort of incorrect. It feels like he doesn’t truly understand the issue but he’s trying to remember what someone from his staff told him.
I've been wanting to say this since this thread was started , but didn't feel like entering the feeding frenzy. Please, nobody get me wrong, he definitely spilled blood in the water and invited the sharks, but he didn't say that Splash the ride depicts or was based on happy slaves.

George Lucas on a Bench

I think the most interesting discussion from that clip would be about his criticism of “superfans” and whether them not wanting anything to change is true.

This is also wrong and along the same lines as Cam Irving believing everything they do with the classic attractions is great and anyone who dares question these changes is a curse. It's only a matter of time until Cheapek parrots WDWMagic's favorite line: "Disneyland is not a museum!"

Rich T

The degree to which my interest and opinion of Disney has dropped in that year is pretty remarkable.
For me too, but it has nothing to do with Splash. It’s about the emphasis on Star Wars, Marvel and other purchased franchises, upcharges, endless sequels and remakes, and much more. Disney has made themselves as “magical” as Comcast, and with just about as much charm and personality. And, I gotta say, the new CEO is the perfect spokesman for what they’re becoming. Blech.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
"...when we opened Tower of.. something or another, all the kids were watching the brand new Outer Limits episode that aired every night on HBO. Sadly that is no longer the case especially after we sold the Alfred Hitchcock show to that eye company making it less Disney. We decided to retheme it to the most Disney property we could think of, Guardians of the Galaxy TM."
-Bob Chapek

Whats that show called again? Its 60 years old I think. Based on a door in the stars or something?

Kate F

And there’s no sweeping this under a rug: One of the animated setpieces revolves around the visual embodiment of a particularly awful racial slur. Yeah, that’s a problem.
I get that the term has been used as a slur, but at the same time there are also black people who are still telling the story today with that same terminology. In fact just yesterday I saw an Instagram post by a black woman referencing the tale.

It’s supposed to mean a sticky situation but unfortunately it got turned into a slur.

Last edited:

Kate F

I don’t know anything about you, but for some reason I think @Kate F and @Brer Panther would be great friends IRL. The two of you have so much passion for Splash Mountain and knowledge about the Br’ers. Have you two ever met?
I have been DMing him for the past year since I know he feels the same way about this whole situation as I do, but other than that, no, I haven’t met him in real life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom