News Disneyland modifies mask policy - UPDATE 7/28/21

el_super

I wonder how long it'll be until the mask-wearers are seen as "selfish" because they haven't done their "duty" of getting the vaccine.

I would think it's the opposite? The mask was always a protective measure for the people around them, so if they choose to not get the vaccine, but still choose to help protect society by wearing a mask, good on them.

Tamandua

I would like to remind people that Fauci was on TV in March 2020 making the case that masks make you less safe because they cause you to constantly touch your face, they get dirty, accumulate bacteria, etc... In his recently released emails, he reiterated that masks don't protect the people that wear them, only others to some degree... So anyone thinking that masks are protecting them... Time to do some homework.

SoCalDisneyLover

Where I'm at, if you're vaccinated, then there's no need to wear a mask anymore, and that's in accordance with all the guidelines.

BUT....if you're not vaccinated, then the guidance is to wear masks indoors, and I think that these are the people who ruin the whole situation. If we're going on the honor system, then anyone who violates that is a Public Nuisance, although unfortunately there appears to be no way to hold them accountable, or limit their access and right to do whatever they want.

It's like someone speeding down the freeway, going 30 mph over the limit, but since the cops are all on vacation, it's kind of like, "oh well."

I still worry that the sudden lifting of all restrictions is going to hurt vaccination rates, and we still have a ways to go. Both as a State, a Country and a World. If CA is now open to visitors from other states, some with low vaccination rates, then we continue risking spread of the virus. Which brings us full circle to the real problem, and that's people who are not getting vaccinated, even though they can.

DanielBB8

I have no desire to expend any energy getting on people who wear a mask. I have no idea if those people a) have chosen not to get the vaccine or b) have been vaccinated and still choose to wear a mask for personal reasons. Time for all of us to move on and start living life again.
c) recovered from Covid-19 and chose to wear the mask. These people don't need to be vaccinated since they have natural immunity.
I still worry that the sudden lifting of all restrictions is going to hurt vaccination rates, and we still have a ways to go. Both as a State, a Country and a World. If CA is now open to visitors from other states, some with low vaccination rates, then we continue risking spread of the virus. Which brings us full circle to the real problem, and that's people who are not getting vaccinated, even though they can.
We're barely a few months from vaccine availability to everyone should already be vaccinated. There are still many countries that haven't gotten the vaccine or low availability. International travel is still highly restricted. Many companies with office workers still have remote work due to uncertainty about reopening (mine included). We need more patience and this is just the beginning. The reopening already has it's own conditions so everyone should follow the CDC. Funny how we came full circle with CDC guidance.

Wendy Pleakley

c) recovered from Covid-19 and chose to wear the mask. These people don't need to be vaccinated since they have natural immunity.

You should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19. That’s because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. Even if you have already recovered from COVID-19, it is possible—although rare—that you could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 again. Studies have shown that vaccination provides a strong boost in protection in people who have recovered from COVID-19.

Old Mouseketeer

I don't think a Resurgence of Coronavirus would be "interesting" at all.

My bad. That was sloppy writing, which I hate. I should have said it will be informative in that we will have more insight into how and where any resurgence occurs and how that may relate to early relaxing of restrictions as well as the spread of variants. Scientists around the world are fine tuning their understanding of the spread because of the massive scale. There will be benefits to fighting future pandemics as this information is sifted and analyzed. Our best epidemiologists and public health experts have been having to make fast recommendations based on years of painstaking research while responding to new data from a fast-moving pandemic. It will take years to assess what worked as expected and what new knowledge emerges.

Old Mouseketeer

It’s actually the other way around, just sayin’. It protects you, not me. Anyway, Where do you pull up all those random “facts”? Where’s the data?

It has been widely reported throughout this pandemic that wearing a mask does more to protect others than yourself. There have been plenty of demonstrations of how a mask prevents the spread of airborne particles from people who are infected. The reason that wearing a mask doesn't protect me as much as when an infected person wears a mask is because those airborne droplets can settle on me and on the surfaces all around. Yes, I can wear a mask, maintain social distancing, avoid touching my face, and wash my hands often. But it's better to also prevent the spread at the source.

And the news from Vermont this week has also been all over the news.

TP2000

I'm going to guess, that your place of business is not an international destination that was the site of a measles outbreak.

If you are concerned about Measles, I'm going to guess that you never got your Measles vaccine?

MMR shots are highly effective (covering Measles, Mumps and Rubella together, hence MMR), are covered for free by all insurance and Medicare, and are available today at every pharmacy or WalMart or Target in the country.

Don't want to catch Measles? Get vaccinated. Don't want to catch Covid? Get vaccinated.

SoCalDisneyLover

I had liked the vlogger Paul, because he seemed down to earth, and his videos are all mellow and not all over the place like some other vloggers.

Come to find out via his video at Olga's this morning, that he hasn't even received the 1st vaccine shot. I guess he's much too busy hitting up the theme parks, to find a few minutes to stop into a CVS. In his video, he claims that he's still going to wear a mask indoors, except he wasn't at Olga's, because he was eating and drinking. Well.....except during the 30 minutes he spent mainly talking into the camera during his livestream.

I'm sure he's not alone though. And I guess he's still got friends like Spencer & Katie, who bitched about the parks being closed for months, and then have spent the last month and a half, complaining about still having to wear face masks. They've practically been having an orgasm since Disney announced earlier this week that they were lifting all restrictions.

TP2000

Here's the latest today from the embarassed Cal OSHA Board of Directors with their tails between their legs...
  • Masks are no longer required of vaccinated employees in California.
  • Employees can "self-attest" to their employer that they are vaccinated, no CDC card check or documentation required.
  • Governor Newsom will sign an executive over-ride today to make this change effective immediately, instead of waiting until June 28th for the "10 day waiting period" per the state laws that regulate Cal OSHA mandates.

I'm sure the YouTubers will let us know the moment they see their first Disneyland CM not wearing a mask. 😷

Stevek

Are we really still arguing about mask effectiveness and use? Can we take it to private messages if you want to carry on with that.
As a reminder from the admins...time to move on.

Season 1 Please GIF

TP2000

It's official! Governor Newsom has signed the executive over-ride and tossed the Cal OSHA mask mandates for California employees, effective tonight at Midnight. The ruling also removes the requirement for plastic shielding and partitions.

Vaccinated workers in California will no longer have to wear masks in most jobs, after Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday afternoon signed an executive order he said would become effective Friday.

Newsom had said earlier in the day that he would wait for a vote by Cal/OSHA on its new workplace rules before he signed the order. The agency, under heavy pressure from Newsom and businesses, voted Thursday afternoon to do away with mask requirements for vaccinated employees and align with state rules.

The only ‘no’ vote came from Laura Stock, whose concerns about continued workplace outbreaks, the dangerous new Delta coronavirus variant, and large numbers of unvaccinated workers echoed the worries of many employee representatives calling into the agency’s meeting.

“No matter how tired we are of restrictions, the pandemic is not over,” Stock said.

But employer representatives expressed concerns that continued restrictions by Cal/OSHA would harm California’s economic recovery, and many called for the agency to end its emergency pandemic rules and rely on increasing vaccination numbers to keep people safe.

Eric Berg, deputy chief of research and standards for Cal/OSHA, said early in Thursday’s meeting that the new rules would take away “burdensomeness” from employers while “providing robust protection of employees.” Still, Berg also noted a “significant percentage” of workers, particularly low-income workers and workers of color, are not fully vaccinated. Unvaccinated workers are still required to wear masks under the new rules, and masks are required for jobs in certain environments including transit, K-12 schools and health care facilities.

The California Department of Industrial Relations, which includes Cal/OSHA, said last week that “employers must verify and document the vaccination status of fully vaccinated employees if they do not wear face coverings indoors.”

Newsom said Monday he expected verification of workers’ vaccination status to be a matter of self-attestation, adding that he hoped people would be honest. Berg also said self-attestation by employees is an option for employers.

The new rules will also remove the requirement for partitions in workplaces where people cannot be kept distanced. Employers will also have to provide face coverings for employees at no cost upon request, and must ensure that unvaccinated workers wear them indoors and in vehicles. Businesses must provide N-95 respirators or the equivalent upon request to unvaccinated employees. Physical distancing would only be required after major outbreaks.

Callers during Thursday morning’s public comments about the proposed rules broke down mainly between representatives of employers and workers.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

It's official! Governor Newsom has signed the executive over-ride and tossed the Cal OSHA mask mandates for California employees, effective tonight at Midnight. The ruling also removes the requirement for plastic shielding and partitions.

Vaccinated workers in California will no longer have to wear masks in most jobs, after Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday afternoon signed an executive order he said would become effective Friday.

Newsom had said earlier in the day that he would wait for a vote by Cal/OSHA on its new workplace rules before he signed the order. The agency, under heavy pressure from Newsom and businesses, voted Thursday afternoon to do away with mask requirements for vaccinated employees and align with state rules.

The only ‘no’ vote came from Laura Stock, whose concerns about continued workplace outbreaks, the dangerous new Delta coronavirus variant, and large numbers of unvaccinated workers echoed the worries of many employee representatives calling into the agency’s meeting.

“No matter how tired we are of restrictions, the pandemic is not over,” Stock said.

But employer representatives expressed concerns that continued restrictions by Cal/OSHA would harm California’s economic recovery, and many called for the agency to end its emergency pandemic rules and rely on increasing vaccination numbers to keep people safe.

Eric Berg, deputy chief of research and standards for Cal/OSHA, said early in Thursday’s meeting that the new rules would take away “burdensomeness” from employers while “providing robust protection of employees.” Still, Berg also noted a “significant percentage” of workers, particularly low-income workers and workers of color, are not fully vaccinated. Unvaccinated workers are still required to wear masks under the new rules, and masks are required for jobs in certain environments including transit, K-12 schools and health care facilities.

The California Department of Industrial Relations, which includes Cal/OSHA, said last week that “employers must verify and document the vaccination status of fully vaccinated employees if they do not wear face coverings indoors.”

Newsom said Monday he expected verification of workers’ vaccination status to be a matter of self-attestation, adding that he hoped people would be honest. Berg also said self-attestation by employees is an option for employers.

The new rules will also remove the requirement for partitions in workplaces where people cannot be kept distanced. Employers will also have to provide face coverings for employees at no cost upon request, and must ensure that unvaccinated workers wear them indoors and in vehicles. Businesses must provide N-95 respirators or the equivalent upon request to unvaccinated employees. Physical distancing would only be required after major outbreaks.

Callers during Thursday morning’s public comments about the proposed rules broke down mainly between representatives of employers and workers.
Oh my non-binary, inclussive, gender neutral diety

Tamandua

Here's the latest today from the embarassed Cal OSHA Board of Directors with their tails between their legs...
  • Masks are no longer required of vaccinated employees in California.
  • Employees can "self-attest" to their employer that they are vaccinated, no CDC card check or documentation required.
  • Governor Newsom will sign an executive over-ride today to make this change effective immediately, instead of waiting until June 28th for the "10 day waiting period" per the state laws that regulate Cal OSHA mandates.

I'm sure the YouTubers will let us know the moment they see their first Disneyland CM not wearing a mask. 😷
Cool! I will attest that I have been vaccinated. The truth is that I've received many vaccinations. As long as they don't specifically ask if I'm vaccinated for covid then I'm golden!

TP2000

Laura Stock must be fun at parties

I thought the exact same thing when I read her "everybody stay scared!" quote. The poor dear. 🥳

According to her Cal OSHA bio, she has been working in the industrial hygiene program at UC Berkeley for "over 35 years". I think she should maybe step back, take a break, and find a fun new hobby. Time to get your hands dirty, Laura! :D

mharrington

So I saw an article on the park, which showed that almost everyone there was maskless. I sure hope they did prove that they were vaccinated because few people, if anyone, wore masks and it was packed, almost like it was March 1, 2020 all over again.

SoCalDisneyLover

I sure hope they did prove that they were vaccinated because few people, if anyone, wore masks and it was packed, almost like it was March 1, 2020 all over again.
Proof? LOL! It's the "honor" system, and plenty of Americans have none of that. Some of the the unvaccinated & maskless may get severe cases of Covid, and some may even die. Too bad for them, at least they had a fun day at Disneyland before they passed.

I just hope that the vaccines continue to show their efficacy, and that a variant doesn't come along which is resistant to the vaccines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom