Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

I know. I was just being snarky with another stereotype in response.

I am actually an aspiring northerner. I am sick of the heat and humidity almost year round and I want seasons. Lol. So I may end up there someday
Don't try Boone NC. The locals are sick of Floridians invading their small town not far from the Blue Ridge Mountains.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here‘s the thing, the reason for lower vaccine rates only matters if the people in charge actually care to change that. If they don’t then it’s a purely academic debate and pointless. I don’t care to play the blame game and point fingers at others. Red vs blue, rural vs urban, poor vs rich, etc…At the end of the day I’m interested in the “why” people aren’t getting vaccinated purely to see if there is something states or regions can do better to change that.

I don’t see any way that we will have that discussion here without it blowing up into people being insulted that someone is calling out a demographic group they are part of. If people in Mississippi where 45% of adults have 1 shot aren’t worried about their own state and don’t care to dig into why so many people aren’t vaccinated then why should a person like me from PA spend too much time worrying or even better someone living in Canada. I get why we all focus on FL due to WDW being there and because it’s a National attraction it draws people from all over but vaccination efforts need to be focused, local and targeted to the demographic groups most hesitant. Nothing positive comes from being overly negative towards people.

correcaminos

A lot of the reservations, including some of the ones I grew up near, are doing quite well with vaccination rates. It did take some time to get there, though. Some of these stories are out of date, but there has been a lot of progress made.

Yes, these are the stories I was thinking of for Natives. It took their leaders taking charge to change for the better. Something I left off outside of distrust is also access. Not all have equal access or ability to be vaccinated. Transportation, work schedules, child care all play in too.

Joesixtoe

Can’t we all embrace “and”

Fact: The Southeastern United States has the worst vaccination rate in the country

Fact: If you get more granular you find a more nuanced reasons, but because the SE has a much higher amount of white non college educated men, Republicans, and African Americans than other regions accounts for this poor showing.
I’m not that confident,” Cuomo said, adding: “You’re going to say to the American people now, ‘Here’s a vaccine, it was new, it was done quickly, but trust this federal administration and their health administration that it’s safe? And we’re not 100 percent sure of the consequences.’ I think it’s going to be a very skeptical American public about taking the vaccine, and they should be.”

How about the political nature of the last 4 1/2 years made people just a tad bit skeptical and your new york fearless leader even said it was ok for us to be. I'm following Coumo on this one, he seems like a smart guy. In reality you do understand as much as you critize those who don't jump to get an un-approved FDA that hasn't had much of a trial period to it vaccine, they in turn think negatively towards you as well. They just believe your falling for anything without any serious critical thinking behind it. So it goes both ways. Why not just say do what you feel is best. Move on, your covered your vaccinated. Live life, breath easy.

DonniePeverley

Here‘s the thing, the reason for lower vaccine rates only matters if the people in charge actually care to change that. If they don’t then it’s a purely academic debate and pointless. I don’t care to play the blame game and point fingers at others. Red vs blue, rural vs urban, poor vs rich, etc…At the end of the day I’m interested in the “why” people aren’t getting vaccinated purely to see if there is something states or regions can do better to change that.

I don’t see any way that we will have that discussion here without it blowing up into people being insulted that someone is calling out a demographic group they are part of. If people in Mississippi where 45% of adults have 1 shot aren’t worried about their own state and don’t care to dig into why so many people aren’t vaccinated then why should a person like me from PA spend too much time worrying or even better someone living in Canada. I get why we all focus on FL due to WDW being there and because it’s a National attraction it draws people from all over but vaccination efforts need to be focused, local and targeted to the demographic groups most hesitant. Nothing positive comes from being overly negative towards people.

Most likely because if rates go high again, and we see mass hospitalisations then we will see restrictions placed on our freedoms again. No government will say 'oh screw those who haven't got vaccinated'. If you have high numbers they will have no choice but to put curbs in place again.

Imagine a scenario like last year when New York was out of control, do you really think the local leaders will just keep everything going, no restrictions, nothing? Nope they won't do that. We may get smaller restrictions like social distance again, masks, in Disney's case limiting numbers again, etc

The Indian Variant has taken over the UK and cases have risen massively. The UK government did not say 'oh well people chose not to have vaccinations so forget them' - they actually extended the lockdown a further month.

DisneyDebRob

Is that why Florida has around the same covid rates as California and New York despite having the highest elderly population in the United States, and being open for about a year longer than they were??? Is that why Florida has a lower unemployment rate as well? It's possible people simply ask questions instead of believing the "science" and politicians all the time. People have been questioning things and been told how wrong they were only for the truth or possible truths to come out later. Hence lab leak theory is greatly possible. Hence opening up the economy to soon is "barbaric" only to show its the exact same as when others don't open. It's ok though cause New York and California are the top 2 states people are moving away from, and Florida is the state people are moving to the most. But I suppose you probably believe the dumb ones are moving away while the smart intelligence ones are staying.
Would love to have a civil conversation with you but have no idea why you quoted my post and went on that rant. I never said anything about southern states. You missed the point entirely. It’s was 2 meme’s about people anywhere that doesn’t believe the facts and data on vaccines. I don’t care if you are from the north, south or, as my grandma used to say, from gapeep.( not sure if that’s how you even spell it but it means from wherever)
Edit-Just looked it up.. it’s a Italian slang word spelled Japip.

Tom P.

Look, I caught a few minutes of a local radio talk show host, one who I used to respect and even guest hosted for on occasion. He was ranting about how we need to go down to the local health food store and get vitamins and supplements to protect us from Covid and stop being obedient little servants of the governor and rolling up our sleeves when he says to. And then I looked at his Twitter feed and the first post was him retweeting how the January 6th riot at the Capitol was an inside job planned by the FBI.

Something has just caused a sizeable segment of the population to lose their minds in the last few years. And I don't think we're going to change that. The best thing we can do is keep trying to appeal to everyone else to get vaccinated and move on with life. Sad, but true.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Look, I caught a few minutes of a local radio talk show host, one who I used to respect and even guest hosted for on occasion. He was ranting about how we need to go down to the local health food store and get vitamins and supplements to protect us from Covid and stop being obedient little servants of the governor and rolling up our sleeves when they say to. And then I looked at his Twitter feed and the first post was him retweeting how the January 6th riot at the Capitol was an inside job planned by the FBI.

Something has just caused a sizeable segment of the population to lose their minds in the last few years. And I don't think we're going to change that. The best thing we can do is keep trying to appeal to everyone else to get vaccinated and move on with life. Sad, but true.
But it's such a nice day outside! Blargh.

Meanwhile, am I still calendared? It's a race to July 1st. MTA, your move (or rather, our fearless leaders).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Most likely because if rates go high again, and we see mass hospitalisations then we will see restrictions placed on our freedoms again. No government will say 'oh screw those who haven't got vaccinated'. If you have high numbers they will have no choice but to put curbs in place again.

Imagine a scenario like last year when New York was out of control, do you really think the local leaders will just keep everything going, no restrictions, nothing? Nope they won't do that. We may get smaller restrictions like social distance again, masks, in Disney's case limiting numbers again, etc

The Indian Variant has taken over the UK and cases have risen massively. The UK government did not say 'oh well people chose not to have vaccinations so forget them' - they actually extended the lockdown a further month.
There are no real National covid mandates or restrictions. They are all state based. States with lower vaccination rates could see more substantial outbreaks going forward but the states with the lowest vaccination rates generally had little or no statewide Covid mitigations to begin with so it’s unlikely they start that now.

Lowest states by percent of adults with 1 shot:
  1. MS 45.1%
  2. AL 46.9%
  3. LA 47.2%
  4. WY 48.4%
  5. TN 50.4%
  6. AR 51.3%
  7. ID 51.6%
  8. GA 52.2%
  9. SC 52.4%
  10. MO 54.0%
These states have lower vaccine rates, but it’s still much better than where we were in Dec/Jan for the last major wave. There will be regional or local outbreaks but I don‘t see nationwide restrictions reimplemented. I also don’t think states with high vaccination rates will implement new restrictions if cases spike in MS or AL.

The Indian variant is more contagious but so far all signs point towards the current vaccines still being effective against it. It will likely spread through the unvaccinated population especially in areas where that group is substantially larger.

ImperfectPixie

There are no real National covid mandates or restrictions. They are all state based. States with lower vaccination rates could see more substantial outbreaks going forward but the states with the lowest vaccination rates generally had little or no statewide Covid mitigations to begin with so it’s unlikely they start that now.

Lowest states by percent of adults with 1 shot:
  1. MS 45.1%
  2. AL 46.9%
  3. LA 47.2%
  4. WY 48.4%
  5. TN 50.4%
  6. AR 51.3%
  7. ID 51.6%
  8. GA 52.2%
  9. SC 52.4%
  10. MO 54.0%
These states have lower vaccine rates, but it’s still much better than where we were in Dec/Jan for the last major wave. There will be regional or local outbreaks but I don‘t see nationwide restrictions reimplemented. I also don’t think states with high vaccination rates will implement new restrictions if cases spike in MS or AL.

The Indian variant is more contagious but so far all signs point towards the current vaccines still being effective against it. It will likely spread through the unvaccinated population especially in areas where that group is substantially larger.
And the bolded is NOT good.

hopemax

Unfortunately, with our local governments having more of a say than the Feds, people who don't have the first hand experience Boris Johnson has with the virus, I don't expect many of the places with larger outbreaks will put in controls, even when they should. People will just end up sick, some will end up with devastating consequences that may be death, hospitalization and long COVID. And since all of this ends up piggy backing, those that do end up with long COVID will likely face more difficulties getting the care and services they need than elsewhere (because those places already have less than elsewhere, and then throw in more need/demand). The time delay between now and when the uglier consequences are likely to arrive, will also make it harder for places to restrict anything. People have moved on, the virus still doesn't care.

aliceismad

Yes, these are the stories I was thinking of for Natives. It took their leaders taking charge to change for the better. Something I left off outside of distrust is also access. Not all have equal access or ability to be vaccinated. Transportation, work schedules, child care all play in too.
I agree. Access is a big hurdle for vaccination, especially in rural areas, and it's one that our leaders can focus on positive solutions for. Bringing vaccinations to the people is important.

There are also many people who cannot afford to take the time off to get the vaccinations and/or recover from any side effects they may have, or they feel they will be penalized at work if they take that time off.

If you want to encourage people to do something, make it enormously easy for them.

willtravel

Is this Indian variant something that naturally occurres?

correcaminos

I agree. Access is a big hurdle for vaccination, especially in rural areas, and it's one that our leaders can focus on positive solutions for. Bringing vaccinations to the people is important.

There are also many people who cannot afford to take the time off to get the vaccinations and/or recover from any side effects they may have, or they feel they will be penalized at work if they take that time off.

If you want to encourage people to do something, make it enormously easy for them.
I totally agree! While the shot is free, we have not made it easy or equal for all. Many low income and rural people do not have it easy to get. Most I feel like I can do is offer rides and childcare. Employers should help by giving appropriate time off and hosting clinics when possible. We need more mobile clinics for those without reliable transportation. Our government could give grants so to speak to offset work issues and childcare

DonniePeverley

Virus mutate - ironically caused in regions when the virus is ripping through people quickly. The UK, Brazil, India all have that in common.

Like i say we are in a good place in the USA now, but i do worry about 'claiming some sort of victory', when the Indian variant has not arrived in large numbers in the US yet - but nearly everyone predicts it will become the dominant strain. Then numbers will start to rise again, and i wouldn't be surprised if we have to go back to some restrictions. Like i mentioned earlier, go see what's happening in the UK.

Really need to push as many people as they can to get vaccinated and deploy all methods at their disposal - one would be vaccine passports. If you had to have a vaccine to enter Disney, travel abroad, etc then you would see any uptake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom