Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joesixtoe

It always reminds me of the old phrase..View attachment 564182

or…

View attachment 564184
Some minds can never be changed and we all just have to live with it.
Is that why Florida has around the same covid rates as California and New York despite having the highest elderly population in the United States, and being open for about a year longer than they were??? Is that why Florida has a lower unemployment rate as well? It's possible people simply ask questions instead of believing the "science" and politicians all the time. People have been questioning things and been told how wrong they were only for the truth or possible truths to come out later. Hence lab leak theory is greatly possible. Hence opening up the economy to soon is "barbaric" only to show its the exact same as when others don't open. It's ok though cause New York and California are the top 2 states people are moving away from, and Florida is the state people are moving to the most. But I suppose you probably believe the dumb ones are moving away while the smart intelligence ones are staying.

correcaminos

This. I think it helps explain some of the lag in GA and MS as well and Midwestern states with Native reservations; they have a higher percentage of rural, minority populations who justifiably do not trust the health care system.
I did see some communities pushing for their own here and there among these groups to gain trust, but really it's a lot harder to overcome. Though easier than the tin foil hat people who believe covid was a hoax. My cousin who is a mix like me, claims she refuses to be a guinea pig, but denounces her heritage and listens to her tin foil hat white boyfriend. So she's now not just a Hispanic woman who fears medicine, but one of the crazy hoax believers. I have a harder time reasoning with her than I do with other loved ones. Being in a trial helped so many not fear. But unless you have a personal connection that goes back far enough, the medical distrust is real and hard to get over. They require a different set of ideas to get over than the hoax believers.

CosmicRays

Woah...it went all “civil war” in here today, didn’t it?
Are-We-The-Baddies.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is that why Florida has around the same covid rates as California and New York despite having the highest elderly population in the United States, and being open for about a year longer than they were??? Is that why Florida has a lower unemployment rate as well? It's possible people simply ask questions instead of believing the "science" and politicians all the time. People have been questioning things and been told how wrong they were only for the truth or possible truths to come out later. Hence lab leak theory is greatly possible. Hence opening up the economy to soon is "barbaric" only to show its the exact same as when others don't open. It's ok though cause New York and California are the 2 states people are moving away from, and Florida is the state people are moving to the most. But I suppose you probably believe the dumb ones are moving away while the smart intelligence ones are staying.
We don’t need to do this again...

but perhaps the development of therapeutics that lessened severity after the “ground zero” flash points did a lot of the dirty work?

dumb luck is great...just accept it and don’t decide to splain it away

MaryJaneP

On the contrary there are folks called reverse snowbirds. Some that move to TX move back to MN for example , Minnesota Nice beats out Texas Friendly. Another version of reverse snowbirds is when FL retirees live up North to escape the long hot summers in FL.
Do we know anyone that has relocated from Florida to the North to escape the long hot summers in FL? If so, why wasn't WDW built in a more temperate area?

aliceismad

This. I think it helps explain some of the lag in GA and MS as well and Midwestern states with Native reservations; they have a higher percentage of rural, minority populations who justifiably do not trust the health care system.
A lot of the reservations, including some of the ones I grew up near, are doing quite well with vaccination rates. It did take some time to get there, though. Some of these stories are out of date, but there has been a lot of progress made.

lazyboy97o

Do we know anyone that has relocated from Florida to the North to escape the long hot summers in FL? If so, why wasn't WDW built in a more temperate area?
Remember that Walt Disney World wasn’t supposed to be a vacation resort. Downtown EPCOT was essentially planned to be a giant enclosed shopping mall connected to other areas by transit. The recreational activities were secondary to the need for land and a willing government. It has also gotten hotter over the decades while we have been collectively conditioned (pardon the pun) to air conditioning.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
You really are asking for it on this forum. Probably one of the rudest posters here.

also; thanks for proving my point for me with your comment about Northern VA and South Florida. Shows it’s more then just a black and white “because they’re southern they’re idiots”. It's a hesitancy across various regional and cultural spectrums, all for different reasons.
It's really tough to have a civil conversation when someone won't even hear you out and automatically goes on the defensive. There are some that are really great at it, at least listen and hear you out. Others like said poster above, try to simply post a cnn article to prove a point, which is being completely missed by him, and then offend essentially everyone in the South, in which I live. Not really productive or needed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think @Heppenheimer hit the nail on the head; while there are problems in specific region, a common theme is high vaccine acceptance among Americans who are older (84 percent plus last I looked in 65+). It’s the younger groups for the most part who are lagging regardless of location.

it’s also pockets of demographics and politics...even in “Yankee” states.

that’s a problem everywhere. I’ve seen it/heard it in one of the most “covid conservative” ones

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But I'm a southern idiot that loves carrots ;)

I must be an anti-vax'er/anti-masker, that cares about no one else, that is going to continue to let scariants spread.
You’re not that at all...I’m appalled...

...you do seem a little to willing to swallow what Disney is spraying at times though 😉

DonniePeverley

You know, like, basic facts and stuff.

Turns out my comment was outdated from an article I had read just a few days ago. Way back then, it was doubling every two weeks, now it's every 7-10 days.

And we're not even getting good data out of Florida - only once a week - so it will take 3 weeks to even begin to spot a trend.

Quote:
"As of Sunday, the Delta variant was responsible for about 10.3% of US Covid-19 cases, according to Dr. Eric Topol, the founder and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, whose outbreak.info has been tracking variants throughout the pandemic.
The may not seem like a lot, but the speed with which it's spreading is a concern.

"It doubles every seven to 10 days, which means when it gets to three weeks from now, this variant will be dominant," Topol said. "That means we have two to three weeks to just go flat out with vaccination to stop this trend."

Vaccinations generally seem to keep variants in check. The Alpha strain, for instance, is the dominant strain in the United States and has been since about late April. But with exceptions such as Michigan, it didn't cause surges in cases in most parts of the country.
Topol said that the US was able to "ante up" and go "full tilt on vaccination" when the variant arrived in the United States.

Most blue states will make Biden's July 4 vaccine goal. The red ones won't.
Most blue states will make Biden's July 4 vaccine goal. The red ones won't.

With the Delta variant, Topol isn't as optimistic.
"This is the most troubling variant by far, because it's another 60% more contagious than the Alpha, so it's a super spreader strain," Topol said. But the vaccination rate is stalling.

While 43.9% in the US is fully vaccinated, according to the CDC, the rate at which people are getting vaccinated has been slowing down.
In Mississippi, nearly 29% of population is fully vaccinated. In Alabama it's less than 31%. In Arkansas, less than 33%. In Louisiana, Georgia, and Wyoming it's less than 34%, according to CDC data."

The USA's vaccination rate is not that high. The Delta Indian variant will become the dominant strain - and then we will see cases go up again.

You only have to look at what is happening in the UK. The rates in the UK have gone up 200% in a few weeks, which a more tranmissible variant.

I'd enjoy the parks now before rates go through the roof again.

Touchdown

Can’t we all embrace “and”

Fact: The Southeastern United States has the worst vaccination rate in the country

Fact: If you get more granular you find a more nuanced reasons, but because the SE has a much higher amount of white non college educated men, Republicans, and African Americans than other regions accounts for this poor showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom