So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 19 - Madcap Circus [CONCLUDED]

monkey92514

Avatar teaser for act four now up. Yes, it is Seuss themed, haha. While we did kind of jump the gun with Walt's Vault a little bit, one thing I can tease is that @ThemeParkPriest opening the Vault has unleashed a rather UNSAVORY element of the Dr. Seuss cannon in to the next prompt. Should be fun! Stay tuned ;)
It's a Small World but with that multilanguage sequence from the old Cat In The Hat cartoon

Sharon&Susan

Team Bailey - MesoVision Review

This team out of the three had the most uphill battle throughout the project. For one, it was dealt the most inactive week but most of it not the fault of the players themselves but rather external circumstances. That makes it really hard to come together and get passionate around a project. That all said, I think Sharon led the team out of the ashes and really was the driving force in assembling this concept into something very interesting. Picking a park that I don't believe has ever been chosen for an imagineering project before is definitely something to be commended. And I think with the limited workspace time, choosing a concept like Dinosaurs where you were able to reign in and come together to form a cohesive narrative for the attraction made a lot of sense.

I really like the description of the rotating theater as I think that provides the context necessary to understand what will happen going forward. I also love the blog post style - I find a blog style is a simple way to make something stand out, it's a simple change from third to first person that makes the experience feel 'real' in the respect that someone either is currently visiting the attraction or describing their experience on the attraction.

The attraction write-up is well outlined, albeit to me, possibly a bit too eclectic. There are a ton of different dinos in here and I feel like it might benefit from a focus on a few rather than so many. I like dinosaurs myself, but I felt myself trailing off after reading through several dino descriptions that were set-up very similar just focused on a different dino. Other than reducing the # of dinos I'm not sure how to rectify that or if that's just me having dino fatigue but the end of the show. Great job though with the research behind these dinos despite the extraneous circumstances this project had on the team.

And speaking of the team as it might not have been mentioned previously, but I wanted to give a shout out to @DashHaber - who for the past year has been at the top of pretty much every imagineering competition we've had. Placing in the top 5 in 1986, and a finalist in SA, this is a well-deserved respite from big competitive imagineering, as you're one of the best we have on this board. Hope to see you still around either in OSC, the discussion threads, or in your Imagineering Toybox thread when you're feeling up to it.

In the end I think this team while being split up probably as I type this, overcame a lot this round to produce something very strong presentation and bold conceptually. While a little dry in the middle I think it was a worthy effort all things considered.

Creativity - 10/10
Realism - 9/10
Detail - 10/10
Presentation - 9/10
Teamwork - 8/10
Bonus + 5
----------------------
51/50 = 102%
I should just point out that there was an active component of the team all week - and that was the separate PM for the main show experience where Dash and PerGron brainstormed which we forgot to invite you too. Oops

In retrospect I wouldn't have split the two PMs up as by the end everyone, but Shannon was in there making it very pointless.

spacemt354

Chili's
I should just point out that there was an active component of the team all week - and that was the separate PM for the main show experience where Dash and PerGron brainstormed which we forgot to invite you too. Oops

In retrospect I wouldn't have split the two PMs up as by the end everyone, but Shannon was in there making it very pointless.
In that case consider teamwork 9/10 vs 8 - the relative inactivity in the PM I saw was the reason for that score. It doesn't change the overall rankings for me as I'd break the tie giving it to Barnum, but at least I like to be consistent with the grades /10 so basically being active and good companionship will net a 9 or 10/10 teamwork easy.

AceAstro

we forgot to invite you too. Oops
Any side DM’s from Team Bailey moving forward:
EF72B6EA-3C8F-44D1-90B0-797D5E27C94C.jpeg

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I think RMC T-Rex could fit to build at Six Flags Over Texas or Six Flags Great America in between 2024 and 2026. That would be greatest addition for Six Flags park.
Project 2 Elimination and Team Swap
As mentioned on the podcast, we unfortunately had to eliminate @DisneyFan32. They did some interesting work during the first round, but it unfortunately came down to selective activity during Project 2.

Now, onto the new teams. After @Garfield Fan opened Walt's Vault, they chose six people to stay a part of their original team. The rest of you (mostly) have been swapped around. Tiki and I are both very excited to see how you all do with your new teammates. Good luck!

Project 3 incoming.
I have many projects so why you kicked me out?:cry::( Even this is going to be weirder and very wrong.😡

JokersWild

Original Poster
I think RMC T-Rex could fit to build at Six Flags Over Texas or Six Flags Great America in between 2024 and 2026. That would be greatest addition for Six Flags park.

I have many projects so why you kicked me out?:cry::( Even this is going to be weirder and very wrong.😡
Hey I’m sorry, but you haven’t been playing with your team. You made one post in your team’s PM and then never responded past that. We figured that you didn’t want to play anymore since you were active in the One Sentence Competition, but not in your team’s PM.

In any event, please keep participating in One Sentence Comp. it should still be going on for a while and your ideas have been great. And there’s always next season!

ThemeParkPriest

Avatar teaser for act four now up. Yes, it is Seuss themed, haha. While we did kind of jump the gun with Walt's Vault a little bit, one thing I can tease is that @ThemeParkPriest opening the Vault has unleashed a rather UNSAVORY element of the Dr. Seuss cannon in to the next prompt. Should be fun! Stay tuned ;)
I do not like Green Eggs & Ham! I do not like them, Sam-I-Am!

Orange Cat

We're doing the racist books, aren't we?
That was my thought too

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member

Don’t get down on yourself. You’re pretty new to all of this and still getting your bearings on how the team games work. Keep participating in 1SC, I’ve been noticing your write ups getting better and better. If you keep at it I think you’ll have a very bright future here!

Sharon&Susan

In these early rounds of the game, participation is key. Unless if you land with an absolute flop of a project that everyone on the team worked hard on, there's at least one out of the 20 people on one of the three teams who did less than you did. It only really starts heating up when three teams turn into two teams.

TheOriginalTiki

Tiki's Reviews: Act Two - Sgt. Ha Ha's Laughing Hearts Club Band
1623553216354.png

Alright, so right off the bat I just want to say that this is pretty much the opposite of my big disappointment in the cartoon dark ride project from last season. The Yogi Curse has been Reversed! I want to make it clear that while one team took the win by a pretty clear margin for me, all three of these projects were stellar in their own right. Were all still getting our sea legs when it comes to managing the game and personal schedules, so with that said I absolutely had a blast with these concepts!

Team Barnum

Let's not even beat around the bush with this one. All the projects were great, this was ICONIC. Seriously. Visually the movie posters on their own is just CLASSIC SYWTBAI creativity at its finest. It's interesting that Space thinks realism was your weakest point, because I thought it was one of the stronger points. I think something like this would absolutely elevate the park its in and the surrounding area. It'd be an awesome people eater to divide the crowds out between the two big E-Tickets on Sunset, and I think a creepy movie theater would fit the tone as much as a haunted hotel would. I think the park really needs an attraction that's an AA showcase above all else after the loss of the Great Movie Ride and this delivers that in spades.

I want to make it clear that we had a team swap planned in Project Three from before the game started, but with that being said just HOW strong this team is with the group work department definitely makes me glad were switching things around. I like having ya'll play with as many people as possible, as you never know what sort of cool dynamics are going to come out of different peoples skill sets and styles. With that said, holy moly did we draft a POWERHOUSE with the original Team Barnum. Even though ya'll only last two rounds as a cohesive unit, I wouldn't doubt for a second that this grouping will go down in the record books.

I tend to agree with Space that perhaps the pacing could have been relaxed just a little. That being said, fast pacing is the current trend with Disney, and this approach allows a bigger capacity as well as the ability to add a lot of variety. I really appreciate attractions with an element of chance to them, and the different B-Movies were a perfect way to do that. Speaking of variety, I really got into the huge mix of multimedia used within the different scenes. This variety is a big reason why I gave in and gave you guys the E-Ticket bonus points. Very excited to see how each individual person on this team fares throughout the game, because I think that all of them on their own have winners upside.
Creativity: 10/10
Realism: 10/10
Detail: 9/10
Presentation: 9/10
Group Work: 10/10
+5 Bonus Points
Total: 53/50

Team Bailey

I want to start off here by giving big kudos to the venue of choice. It was a really outside the box pick and the thing that helped drive the idea home was how enthusiastic the blog posts were. I can totally relate to the feeling of playing to a crowd of very few people who are actually excited about future projects that might be off the radar for most guests. (Hello Discovery Kingdom vlogs where I rant endlessly about the potential I see in the park's upcoming spinning wild mouse which comes complete with a themed queue and new reptile house exhibit. It's funny because I feel like once again this project is almost a little too realistic. Don't get me wrong, you nailed the dry museum humor really well, and my god is there a ton of variety in the scenes. I guess perhaps my main issue with how this was presented is it was hard to take in my mind's eye what was facts being presented and what was actually happening with the AAs. With that in mind I would have liked to have seen either individual blog posts for each of the scenes or some sort of more distinct visualization for stage direction.

That's really kind of nitpicky though. Like I said, the huge variety of show scenes is what really sold me on this. Seems to be a common theme with these projects. Now I do need to address the E Ticket vs. D Ticket of it all. Personally, I'm going to classify it as a D Ticket since there's not a ton of stand-out "wow" moments and the motion while definitely a cool feature doesn't feel as deeply integrated into the storytelling as the other two projects.

With that being said, I think ya'll got the FORMULA of an AA show down to a science, and that's something you can hang your hats on as the best of the three teams. The scenes moved along at a great pace providing really interesting information and just when it felt it started to drag it would keep going. That's pretty darn accurate to a museum type of show, and as much as I love it even something like Carousel of Progress. Like I said, a few more big "wow" moments would have made it stick out as an E-Ticket, but as a solid addition to an already well established museum it'd certainly be great in its own right.

It's tricky. Like...if something like this were installed at the Walt Disney Family Museum it would be the biggest draw of the place for a while, so the "E-Ticket". But I still don't think it would count as an E-Ticket when stacked up against the average park attraction that goes by that terminology. Honestly I think this is an example of the tier system maybe working against you. I think this concept would have been perfect for Dinoland and using the big Disney $$ could have REALLY made this thing pop and give it the wow factor that seems to be the one thing missing here. Even if you didn't get the bonus points, I think it would have been worth it because that's what the IDEA was more fit for. Use the tiers to your strengths. If your concept can really kick butt in a lower tier, I'd say go for it. While the museum was a really creative choice, Dinoland would have slid this into "icing on the cake" territory.

Alright, enough moaning about what could have been. This was still a really fantastic effort, especially this early into the season and with so many people on your team under major time crunches.

Creativity: 8/10
Realism: 9/10
Detail: 8/10
Presentation: 7/10 - I loved the opening of the blog format, but really wish you would have utilized individual entries more
Group Work: 8/10
+3 Bonus Points
Total: 43/50

Team Ringling

Woooah boy. This is a lot. And I mean that mostly in a good way! So first off I want to give you props for that classic sort of edu-tainment vibe that I'm just a sucker. I'm talking the sort of 1950's Ward Kimball Man in Space type stuff that they just don't make anymore. This feels like classic EPCOT Center but elevated. It's a great sort of melding of the groundbreaking parts of both Spaceship Earth and American Adventure, so Kudos to that. I found the choices of the main artists to be really clever in the sort of "hey, I know that name!" kind of way (ahem...Leo DiCaprio Pointing) I really love the visualization of how the walking AAs would work. It feels like a super natural evolution of what we've seen from Hondo, Olaf, Rocket etc blended with old school trickery used in American Adventure.

Speaking of old school trickery...my god, if there's one thing I have to give ya'll props for, it's a TERRIFIC use of forced perspective within the scenes themselves. I was transfixed with the sets and they were easily the thing I was looking forward to most as I was scrolling from scene to scene. Not gonna lie, I think that using voice acting would have really brought the script to life and reading it in text form, while fun...just didn't have the same sort of impact I think the talent on display deserves. That's a reason why I'm really stressing to push presentation further this time around.

Something as simple as setting up a Streamyard or Skype recording of a couple scenes would have really elevated stuff. Come to think of it...I might be able to scramble together a pool of voice talent ya'll can use in the future. I'll have to talk to Evan about that and it won't be for at least a couple rounds...but I could see production being an in-between to voice performers being a good solve-all for teams who might not want their voices on public display and a good outlet for me to give my friends creative projects of their own. Stay tuned. It could really be a win-win.

With all that said, despite the nitpicks you had a KILLER foundation with the opening and closing animations giving me a great glimpse into the technology at play throughout the rest of the show in my mind's eye. While I didn't personally like the interactive elements just because audience participation type stuff isn't really my taste, I do think you pulled it off well and earned the E-Ticket status. While this is a minor nitpick, I do wonder if this would have worked better at EPCOT.

I don't know how much the humor and history would translate to a Japanese audience (I mean by all means, @JokersWild can OBVIOUSLY speak more accurately about that haha) I do think this going into the United Kingdom would fill in one of those long-overdue expansion pads and also give the European side of the park a high scale American Adventure counterpart. I dunno, just food for thought. Overall another really well done project that was really close to firing on all cylinders.

Creativity: 9/10
Realism: 9/10
Detail: 9/10
Presentation: 8/10
Group Work: 8/10
+5 bonus points
Total: 48/50

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom