Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

lazyboy97o

It was more cost effective and greatly improved the pace of the attraction. They also redesigned the attraction to focus on the ghost story rather than the TV shows iconography. The WDW version feels like the hotel has a portal into a specific kitschy TV show whereas future versions feel like we are in an episode of that TV show featuring an original tale.
I am definitely one who for a long while would have agreed with this. The 5th Dimension scene is hokey. Instead of again messing with Pirates of the Caribbean or The Haunted Mansion, that’s a scene that should be plussed with better effects. I’ve also though grown to appreciate it more over the years and become more bothered by the hallway entrance of the second generation.

That though doesn’t change the fact that the decision to make the change was very much driven by costs and the constraints under which Euro Disney SCA was operating.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

The 5th Dimension scene is entire dark ride segment that was removed in DCA's ToT. This removal doesn't make the ride better. I liked the 5th Dimension scene and it doesn't matter that others dislike it. The removal not only shortened the ride, the entire look and feel of the ride changed from a full circuit to a mere drop ride. If you think the drop part is the best part, then of course, it doesn't matter that it had depth as a dark ride. I felt it was the successor to Haunted Mansion. Now it falls to Mystic Manor. They should place a clone to Mystic Manor in DCA.

Last edited:

corran horn

It was left off by choice so Disney could make a better and overall more efficent ride by having 3 shafts and 6 elevator cars going at once.
Is this something we're caring about? I don't give a g d how efficient a ride is and how many cars can go at once. That's Disney's problem. I've ridden both multiple times. I prefer the WDW version. Some people don't. And that's ok.

corran horn

An efficient ride means faster load times, faster load times means shorter queue line, shorter queue line means more time to do other stuff in the park. That would be a bit more enticing if there were other things to do at DCA in 2004.
Disney can and should address those things without subtracting from the ride experience. They can have a show that seats 500 guests and lasts 2 minutes and it'll have a lot of churn. So what?

(they can also plus-up the queues to make whatever wait there is more palatable)

DavidDL

Brining things back to Avengers Campus; remember when this patent was filed for a swinging-type attraction? I wonder if this was originally a pitch for a Spider-Man concept (like some believed) or if this actually may have more to do with the unconfirmed E-ticket? The Wakanda concept art shows the riders each having their own, single seat, broken apart from one another. But other art seems to have parties of 4 pretty close to each other (at least for the Quinjet segment).

cspm8aha2qi31.jpg

avengers-e-ticket-quinjet-concept-art-1024x567.jpg

avengers-quinjetride-conceptart-chairs-abovewakanda-700x525.jpg

truecoat

Brining things back to Avengers Campus; remember when this patent was filed for a swinging-type attraction? I wonder if this was originally a pitch for a Spider-Man concept (like some believed) or if this actually may have more to do with the unconfirmed E-ticket? The Wakanda concept art shows the riders each having their own, single seat, broken apart from one another. But other art seems to have parties of 4 pretty close to each other (at least for the Quinjet segment).

View attachment 563356

View attachment 563357
View attachment 563358

Think everyone on individual arms all close together to fly as a quinjet then moving apart and fighting with the Avengers.

Professortango1

The 5th Dimension scene is entire dark ride segment that was removed in DCA's ToT. This removal doesn't make the ride better. I liked the 5th Dimension scene and it doesn't matter that others dislike it. The removal not only shortened the ride, the entire look and feel of the ride changed from a full circuit to a mere drop ride. If you think the drop part is the best part, then of course, it doesn't matter that it had depth as a dark ride. I felt it was the successor to Haunted Mansion. Now it falls to Mystic Manor. They should place a clone to Mystic Manor in DCA.

The ride still contains the same beats. Two show scenes and a drop sequence. Both versions still have darkride scenes. In WDW's, you travel through the second scene, but both still have two scenes. The difference in ride time is largely due to the slower pace of WDW's first half due to not using the drop tower to rise between scenes. I prefer the faster paced version as it keeps the energy ramping up. Both rides still feature lateral movement of an elevator.

WDW's design is far more clever, but I'm riding the ride for the experience, not the tech or design. Considering that I find DCA's pace an improvement, dislike the execution of the 5th Dimension Room, and hate the transition from drop tower to unload at WDW; its a no-brainer which version was a better rider experience for this park guest.

DanielBB8

The ride still contains the same beats. Two show scenes and a drop sequence. Both versions still have darkride scenes. In WDW's, you travel through the second scene, but both still have two scenes. The difference in ride time is largely due to the slower pace of WDW's first half due to not using the drop tower to rise between scenes. I prefer the faster paced version as it keeps the energy ramping up. Both rides still feature lateral movement of an elevator.

WDW's design is far more clever, but I'm riding the ride for the experience, not the tech or design. Considering that I find DCA's pace an improvement, dislike the execution of the 5th Dimension Room, and hate the transition from drop tower to unload at WDW; its a no-brainer which version was a better rider experience for this park guest.
Nevermind, I mis-remembered it.

Last edited:

Professortango1

View attachment 563356

View attachment 563357
View attachment 563358

I'd love to see a swinging coaster themed to Spiderman, but I don't think that's the direction they are going with. I think for a themed coaster experience like that, it would need to be individual cars vs a train which means a really low capacity. I'm sadly expecting something like Soarin but in reverse. We load in at the top of the building in the Quinjet. We experience a brief journey, and then, like Soarin, our rows break apart to form 3 levels in front of screen. Rather than rising up to levels, we would drop into the levels. If the rows are not connected to the surrounding chairs, they can have individualized movement to allow side to side motion as well as up and down.

Poseidon Quest

Overall great video! The only thing I disagree with is that GOTG:MB was an improvement upon TOT.

Fair enough. I wasn't at all a fan of the idea until I actually went through the attraction and the queue. I was surprised at how many hidden details and effort went into it. I was also surprised by how much I liked the pre-show with Rocket. It's a little detail, but I like how there's a little practical effect at the end with Rocket grabbing the Walkman. It's one of those things that a good degree of people would miss if they weren't observant and reminds me of the animated mounted heads in the Country Bears. I enjoy how they aren't the focus of the show, but still make gestures and react to the stage show for those who are observant. Rocket's arm is small and insignificant, but evokes a creative spirit long lost in the parks. I'm not sure how Rohde got wrangled into this project, but it has his signature attention to detail on it.

I think for most people who say they prefer GOTG over TOT it boils down to that DCA's TOT was the less grand and expensive of the two stateside variations on the attraction, therefore a unique attraction is superior than a cheaper clone. If WDW's Tower never existed and DCA's was the only one that was ever built, nobody would say GOTG is better.

I think you definitely hit the right point there. I believe I would be less forgiving if I hadn't initially viewed the DCA ToT as a cheaper knockoff. I did at least really like how it fit into the theme of the park, which at this point has just been utterly destroyed.

D.Silentu

This is unrelated but is that new peter pan ride in DisneySea gonna use this kind of tech?
It sounds like you will ride in some sort of pixie dusted boats. I find this approach perplexing when Disney already has the means to genuinely simulate solo flying with the Flight Of Passage ride system. I would have thought that Peter Pan suited it perfectly.

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

It’s part of the land with no access without accessing the area. The seating area by the theater is part of the area as well now. They cut it off at the beginning of the Hyperion theater. Can’t go there without accessing Avengers Campus.
Is the Hollywood Backlot a dead end now or can you enter AC from the Hyperion theater area?

MarvelCharacterNerd

That's great! I love the characters in those Marvel costumes (saw them the last time they brought them out)!

But if I have to spend hours in a standby line to get into the Avengers Campus, when will I have time to see them? :(

(This is me hoping the line for AC is much shorter now.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom