Trouble in paradise officially?

bryanfze55

Privilege is being inherently intelligent and grounded enough to make good decisions, or at least having stable individuals in your life that you can learn from. Having a certain IQ level is privilege. Being born to married parents in a safe neighborhood is privilege. Privilege has little to do with your choices and rather what you were handed. A lot of poor people were handed a sack of crap.

It’s not necessarily common, but there are wealthy people who are unprivileged and poor people who are privileged.

Last edited:

unmitigated disaster

Service jobs you say?, some waiters bring home six figures and work less hours per week than the the salary managers that they report to. You may not be aware that an amount managers in the retail, service and tourism sectors came from the hourly ranks through something called promotion from within.
Yes, that person working the line at Taco Bell makes six figures. What I fool I am. That bagger at Safeway does the same. Who knew?

Today you can come from the middle lass, have that degree, be in your thirties or later and still be making $28,000 a year.

The minimum wage today has the same buying power as minimum wage 28 years ago. The world is more expensive. Would your parents in 1974 have wanted minimum wage from 1956? I'm guessing not.

GaBoy

Yes, that person working the line at Taco Bell makes six figures. What I fool I am. That bagger at Safeway does the same. Who knew?

Today you can come from the middle lass, have that degree, be in your thirties or later and still be making $28,000 a year.

The minimum wage today has the same buying power as minimum wage 28 years ago. The world is more expensive. Would your parents in 1974 have wanted minimum wage from 1956? I'm guessing not.
Yeah you gotta work a couple of those or have a side hustle. I can't be the only one on this board that worked two jobs or had a side biz to make it to the big time...🙄 maybe why I didn't get my Disney vacation till I was 50. Paid vacation was just paid time off to make more money somewhere else.

Lilofan

You are merely generalizing that this is what happens when working in the service industry per your post. Service industry folks hustle to earn a living. News flash - managers including exec level came from the hourly ranks and not just at Disney. Former WDW President George Kalogridis started in the Contemporary as a busboy in the restaurant.

Last edited:

ICanFly

And only privileged people can actually make a comment like this and believe it, especially that it's that easy.
No one ever mentioned easy. Went from making minimum wage at Mickey D’s to six figures and no debt. Only took 30 years of busting tail, education, loads of sacrifice, wise decisions and a guardian angel. If I can do it anyone can. There are hiccups along the way and some outliers but any able bodied person can make it if that’s the path you choose. Along the way I NEVER moaned about other people with silver spoons, privilege and luck. More power to you if you’ve succeeded in achieving what satisfies you. And yes, I can afford the Grand Floridian but choose to stay at Fort Wilderness at 1/4 the price. All of my decisions still have consequences.

ICanFly

Yeah you gotta work a couple of those or have a side hustle. I can't be the only one on this board that worked two jobs or had a side biz to make it to the big time...🙄 maybe why I didn't get my Disney vacation till I was 50. Paid vacation was just paid time off to make more money somewhere else.
✋🏼

ICanFly

Technically, I joined a month or so ago, but have been busy in life and not on any social media much. Heard others say elsewhere that this was a better board now, so thought I'd check it out. Guess whether it's better or not remains to be seen.

However, I've also been on a few other threads here today as well ;)
This thread would’ve been long shut down at the dis.

ICanFly

I will be curious to see what happens in a year or two when this pent up demand eases, will enough people still pay?

As for my family personally, we are no longer going like we use to. We use to plan at least 1 or 2 trips a year but everything has increased substantially while things like ME have decreased. For example I think of a two years ago and their good prices of ~70 for a 1 day pass to each park deal while also getting a room discount too. I find it a bit sad that to think of all the changes, many not for good which is why the last trip we have stayed offsite our last visit and that will probably too.

We are looking for a short trip in January and the Family Suite at Universal are $835 and car Suites at disney are $2054. Now I get it, they are two different places, and I am sure car Suites are better (the room is bigger, theming better, better pools) but is Disney's service and theming worth literally double the price? In the past I would have said it sure was, but now with ME gone, and other perks cut, I have to say no. The price points have changed dramatically in my opinion, and other places are going to get our money.
I truly believe wdw will adjust prices to accommodate demand. Prices won’t go down per se, instead maybe more hotel deals, free dining again, etc. maybe the park passes are another way of controlling their “supply” side of the equation. Or more likely a way of spreading out their supply more evenly.

Regardless wdw is so much less attractive at these price points.

ICanFly

Probably goes without saying that those with extra money understand how to manage money well, however, people without extra money may also know the same thing, except that we don't individually control every situation that might enter our lives. Those that can manage money to the point of having extra also have another unpurchaseable item as well and that is good luck. No one does it on their own, the phrase being in the right place at the right time, didn't just show up on a billboard someplace. It has a basis of reality.
That WAS a response to a post about financing your wdw vacay on a credit card or paying for it outright. no one ever said anything about controlling situations, not having luck or being surrounded by supportive friends.

disneyfreak0710

I’m privileged. Privileged to be alive. Privileged to have good health. Privileged to have some common sense. Et tu?

I would be the first to say I'm privileged, in multiple ways. I'm here on a Disney board aren't I? 😉 For our financial privilege we had to put in a heck of a lot of hard work to get there. We lived barely above the poverty line once upon a time. But I'm also not naive enough to think that all anyone needs to get out of poverty is some hard work. There are more factors at play for most people in poverty.

But at any rate, this is beating a dead horse.

GaBoy

I would be the first to say I'm privileged, in multiple ways. I'm here on a Disney board aren't I? 😉 For our financial privilege we had to put in a heck of a lot of hard work to get there. We lived barely above the poverty line once upon a time. But I'm also not naive enough to think that all anyone needs to get out of poverty is some hard work. There are more factors at play for most people in poverty.

First to say I had a lot of luck and a dang good family along the way. Not as lucky as some, luckier than a lot of others. Its a crapshoot.

Dan Deesnee

Millions of people work hard every day and make good choices, yet can barely survive. So yeah, people here really ought to check their privilege.

Some people are born into great circumstances that result in an easier path to wealth, some aren't and still become wealthy.

Tell Oprah that poor people can't make it.

The attributes that allows a middle class person to rise to much higher levels of wealth are the same as for the lower classes. Determination to succeed, willingness to sacrifice (a lot), learn, continually grow good relationships even if it means leaving the place and people you grew up in and with as soon as possible.

Everyone that didn't die at birth is privileged.

Some have it easier than others but many would rather complain and ask for a hand out than a hand up.

(I was born into a low income crap hole and sacrificed nearly everything to get where I am. Family, friends, fun, entertainment and anything that was toxic and/or holding me back. MANY aren't willing to do that.)

disneyfreak0710

Some people are born into great circumstances that result in an easier path to wealth, some aren't and still become wealthy.

Tell Oprah that poor people can't make it.

The attributes that allows a middle class person to rise to much higher levels of wealth are the same as for the lower classes. Determination to succeed, willingness to sacrifice (a lot), learn, continually grow good relationships even if it means leaving the place and people you grew up in and with as soon as possible.

Everyone that didn't die at birth is privileged.

Some have it easier than others but many would rather complain and ask for a hand out than a hand up.

(I was born into a low income crap hole and sacrificed nearly everything to get where I am. Family, friends, fun, entertainment and anything that was toxic and/or holding me back. MANY aren't willing to do that.)

Just because some can, doesn't mean ALL can.

Lilofan

Yes hard work is not the be all solution to get out of poverty but it is a good start and positive mindset to improve one's life. And when the time is right and as a reward when one can say " I'm going to Disneyworld !".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom