Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don’t disagree that there is a growing element of hipsterism here
1623212762110.png

Poseidon Quest

It may be similar but I do not believe this is Triotech’s system.

I've seen them credited online numerous places, though now just researching it, I can't seem to find a primary source. For what it's worth from Amusement Labs though:

"While I didn't explicitly say where the sensors/cameras were, they're actually in the left and right hand corners pointing diagonally down. Allegedly this is something that Disney developed themselves, but I have serious doubts that it's any different than a slightly altered Leap Motion design and tracking method simply to avoid paying for the equipment and licensing. They're basically using the equivalent of security cameras with some AO thrown in as opposed to Leap Motion's tracking. Both have the same goal, tracking hand movements in 3D... -Some people are also alleging that it's not by Trio Tech, again, there's too many similarities to really dissuade me from thinking it could be. Disney rarely ever makes things themselves. They design things sure, but they certainly do not fabricate them. The bus bar design is nearly identical. So if they did make it themselves... If they were students in school they'd get busted for plagiarism..."

mickEblu

Not defending the ride, but I am defending the tech. It's absolutely new; the tech powering the Kinect is not the same tech powering this ride, and to reduce it to that undercuts the milestones in computer vision and ML on display.

A better argument is that tech alone doesn't determine the quality or experience of the ride.

If you get a boarding pass for the ride do you have to wait until your boarding group number is called or can you walk in earlier/ anytime you want? Also, if you do have a boarding pass, can you walk in and out of the land as you please?

Last edited:

Professortango1

In addition, you quite literally can go to LegoLand and get the same experience. The WEB Slingers technology is sourced from Triotech, a company that specializes in low budget, screen based dark rides. It's an adaptation of the ninja star throwing mechanic on this ride here, which has been open since 2016:
The same technology at the root, however the tech in WEB Slingers is a bit more advanced. Claiming they are the same since they have the same roots is like saying Rocket Rods is the same as RSR since they share the same ride system ancestor.

waltography

If you get a boarding pass for the ride do you have to wait until your boarding group number is called or can you walk in earlier/ anytime you want? Also, if you do have a boarding pass, can you walk in and out of the land as you please?
You'll have to wait until your boarding group number is called to enter the land (there's a separate side entrance for boarding groups behind Carthay). Once you leave the land, you can't return without having to wait in the standby line.

mickEblu

You'll have to wait until your boarding group number is called to enter the land (there's a separate side entrance for boarding groups behind Carthay). Once you leave the land, you can't return without having to wait in the standby line.

Thank you. Not the answers I was hoping to hear but makes sense

waltography

Thank you. Not the answers I was hoping to hear but makes sense
Yeah, it's not ideal. I can't wait for restrictions to be lifted and for the hype around AC to die down. We stayed in the land for 4 hours and while there were plenty of character interactions available, that time period apparently wasn't enough time for them to cycle out the characters you could see, so we left before I could see the new Cap which was disappointing.

el_super

Different stories have different rules. That has always been true. The rules of the Wizarding World are not the same as Marvel Cinematic Universe or Star Wars or Back to the Future. Park attractions are a shared medium but not necessarily a shared story. The rules of the Jungle Cruise or Soarin’ are not the same as those of Avengers Campus. Even when similar rules are at play, presentation affects their reception. The Jungle Cruise jumps between places but it isn’t at visibly defined points whereas the walls between screens on WEB Slingers is right there, the entire transition and depth visible.

Yes, but the constant in all of these is a willful desire to suspend belief, even momentarily, in order to enjoy the experience. A lot of animals on the Jungle Cruise don't move. Some of them have spotlights at night. Sometimes the skippers make references to fake rocks and animatronics. You can't perfectly hide the fact that you are on a ride, in a fake jungle in Anaheim.

Any attraction can be nit-picked apart if you want to interpret them in the strictest sense. We don't, because we generally accept the older rides as being what they are and give them a pass, but we are far too harsh on newer rides that don't have the nostalgia and familiarity imbued.

I don’t disagree that there is a growing element of hipsterism here, but that doesn’t negate the good faith arguments put forwards,

I do think there are a lot of good faith arguments for ways that Web Slingers could be improved, but much like the transitions in Soarin, I don't think it's worth the effort. What they did on Soarin was almost comical.

And yet that's the legacy of Disney parks. What has always set them apart is their artistic merit and dedication to quality. If you want Six Flags, then by all means, start planning that vacation.

What I want is a fun experience from a Disney park, and that's what I am getting. If you have some problem with mediocrity at a Disney park, feel free to book that vacation to Bali.

In addition, you quite literally can go to LegoLand and get the same experience. The WEB Slingers technology is sourced from Triotech, a company that specializes in low budget, screen based dark rides. It's an adaptation of the ninja star throwing mechanic on this ride here, which has been open since 2016

I think you're assigning way too much weight to this idea that the tech already exists so it isn't worthy of being in a Disney park. If that were true, Splash Mountain wouldn't exist.

lazyboy97o

I've seen them credited online numerous places, though now just researching it, I can't seem to find a primary source. For what it's worth from Amusement Labs though:

"While I didn't explicitly say where the sensors/cameras were, they're actually in the left and right hand corners pointing diagonally down. Allegedly this is something that Disney developed themselves, but I have serious doubts that it's any different than a slightly altered Leap Motion design and tracking method simply to avoid paying for the equipment and licensing. They're basically using the equivalent of security cameras with some AO thrown in as opposed to Leap Motion's tracking. Both have the same goal, tracking hand movements in 3D... -Some people are also alleging that it's not by Trio Tech, again, there's too many similarities to really dissuade me from thinking it could be. Disney rarely ever makes things themselves. They design things sure, but they certainly do not fabricate them. The bus bar design is nearly identical. So if they did make it themselves... If they were students in school they'd get busted for plagiarism..."

Working with Disney is the sort of thing that Triotech would be making known, even if indirectly. While Disney does not fabricate a lot themselves anymore, they still typically utilize custom show and ride controls.

Yes, but the constant in all of these is a willful desire to suspend belief, even momentarily, in order to enjoy the experience. A lot of animals on the Jungle Cruise don't move. Some of them have spotlights at night. Sometimes the skippers make references to fake rocks and animatronics. You can't perfectly hide the fact that you are on a ride, in a fake jungle in Anaheim.

Any attraction can be nit-picked apart if you want to interpret them in the strictest sense. We don't, because we generally accept the older rides as being what they are and give them a pass, but we are far too harsh on newer rides that don't have the nostalgia and familiarity imbued.
It is contextual as to how the experience is presented. The Jungle Cruise makes jokes about rocks because it is farcical and has taken that angle. A deliberate decision was made to set WEB Slingers across the land instead of just within its own facility. Going around walls in a facility you don’t know makes sense, it doesn’t when you switch back and forth between a defined, recently seen place, and a show facility. Newer rides have this tendency to make very specific references, so it is going to be more noticeable when they are contradicted.

DanielBB8

Like I said before, when the doors close, that's the transition. I watched the YouTube videos again and confirmed that when the screens close, the entire corridor becomes the tunnels again. It isn't merely the corners that reinforce the tunnels as the transition. (You're also hitting the tight corners maybe once or twice, not the entire route.) Each door can tell you what to expect (Chemical Storage or Pym Technologies), but sometimes it's just an emblem (Avengers). In at least two screens, you're not stationary just looking in. In the Collector's Fortress, you're moving down like you're in an elevator. In the Avengers Headquarters, you're moving forward with the Quinjet. Moving with the screen action is the suspension of disbelief since it's already obvious the vehicles are on a track. This is not a trackless ride.

This is nitpicking about a flaw that was already fixed since the entire track is going through tunnels.

Last edited:

britain

Maybe they should repaint the Tower of Ter.... GotGMB Blue, grays and silver tpo match the rest of the land.

It’s not supposed to match the rest of the land. It’s supposed to look like someone who’s not really welcome has inserted his building - WHAM! - amongst the rest of the campus. It’s the villain in the background of a movie poster looming ominously behind the heroes.

It’s also supposed to be earth-toned so that it is not super distracting while riding Radiator Springs Racers

Anjin

Finally made it back to Disneyland on Monday (I couldn't believe it had been 3 years). We made our way immediately to Avengers Campus since our boarding group was called before the park even opened. My wife put it best when she described it as underwhelming. Since she doesn't follow all of this as closely as I did, she expected the land to extend into Hollywood Land where the previous Marvel meet-and-greets took place. I think she's right that the Avengers deserve something more grand than this little corner of the park.

mickEblu

Maybe just maybe Disney sees what a hit the GOTG coaster is (assuming it will be a huge hit) and decides to build an Avengers version of that here instead of that Avengers screen ride they were planning. Or any coaster inside a show building will do. Leave the big blue box at Epcot though.

mickEblu

Possible. I was thinking about the avengers ride. I just can't see them do what they said it does/concept art without it not having a high height requirement. They might change it or change it to something completely different.

Wouldn’t a coaster or a FOP/ Soarin kind of ride be around the same? 40 -44 inches. Are you I talking about going lower than that? That would be a big mistake for an Avengers themed E ticket

mickEblu

In the concept art and if I'm mistaken they talked about it as well that you would load all together and then each vehicle or seats would separate from each other. Disney's ruling to ride alone you must be 7 years of age if you're under the age of seven you have to have somebody old enough to sit next to you or at least behind you to keep an eye on you.
But if it is true that the seats / vehicles separate I don't see how they can have somebody watch over you if you're under the age of seven so that is why I think it'll be a higher height requirement if they go that route

Oh I see what you mean. Well, we re just basing this off one piece of concept art. Maybe the ride system being planned didn’t exactly qualify as a child being by himself even if it ends up the way for part of the attraction. Whatever it is, I doubt that the height requirement would be over 44 inches.

truecoat

Maybe just maybe Disney sees what a hit the GOTG coaster is (assuming it will be a huge hit) and decides to build an Avengers version of that here instead of that Avengers screen ride they were planning. Or any coaster inside a show building will do. Leave the big blue box at Epcot though.

If I remember correctly, @marni1971 initial comments on the GOTG weren't to get your hopes up on that coaster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom