Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanUSC

Hoping not to offend anyone? The primary thing that those who HAVE been fully vaccinated must remember:

Those that, for whatever reason have NOT been vaccinated, are literally ZERO threat to you. Just me - I would worry more about a drunk driver, or some new terrible thawed Tyrannosaurus to human plague :(. The protection stats on current vaccine are literally astounding. Really hoping we can get a Flu vaccine, using the same technology.

Please - if willing and able? Get vaccinated. Then let Nature solve the remaining issues. Nature is very good at this.

As a specific individual, no they aren't much threat. As a population then sort of - as COVID spreads and mutates, rather than being extinguished, it can create vaccine escape variants.

MickeyLuv'r

Is there a portion of the population that has natural immunity to the polio virus? How about natural immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, hepatitis, all the other viruses?
Yes, some people have natural immunity to some of the viruses you list, and not everyone is advised to get every vaccine if they have already had some of the viruses you list.
Are those members of the population encouraged to get vaccinated against those diseases for their own good as well as for "herd immunity"? Is there a good non-political reason that those who can be vaccinated, are excused? Fear of needles and governmental nano-robot tracking microchips not withstanding.
There are also some historical non-political reasons that might be valid, or were perhaps valid in the past. Some of the historical objections/concerns were/are on religious grounds. I'm not posting to debate them with anyone, simple to say they exist. Beyond that, the history of vaccines is nuanced and complicated.

For more information, C-Span put out some good videos on the history of vaccines, and especially the history of the smallpox vaccine. The CDC and WHO have detailed websites on the topic of vaccines, including explanations of prior complications, and reasons people have had for not getting vaccinated.

One reason- long ago- with the smallpox vaccine- again long ago- was that the smallpox vaccine was originally tied to cowpox and thus cows. Strict vegetarians had concerns tied to their vegetarian practices. I'm not interested in debating those concerns, just sharing that you appear to be asking a legitimate question, and it is worthwhile to read about the history of vaccines. Another source of concerns was centered on the preservatives sometimes used in vaccines. Again, I'm not posting to debate the use of vaccine preservatives, just listing that as one area of concern expressed by some people (that isn't political).

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hoping not to offend anyone? The primary thing that those who HAVE been fully vaccinated must remember:

Those that, for whatever reason have NOT been vaccinated, are literally ZERO threat to you. Just me - I would worry more about a drunk driver, or some new terrible thawed Tyrannosaurus to human plague :(. The protection stats on current vaccine are literally astounding. Really hoping we can get a Flu vaccine, using the same technology.

Please - if willing and able? Get vaccinated. Then let Nature solve the remaining issues. Nature is very good at this.
I am fully vaccinated as are my wife and as of 11:46 am today my oldest son (technically 11:46am 2 weeks from today:)). My 11 year old probably won’t be vaccinated until Sept. I can’t do much about that, but those who can get vaccinated and have chosen not to for whatever reason are a direct threat to him. Once he is fully vaccinated I will be 100% on board with the letting nature solve the remaining issues. As of today my son is unfortunately still part of the remaining issue and I don’t want him to get sick, even if it’s extremely low risk for death or serious illness.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
As a specific individual, no they aren't much threat. As a population then sort of - as COVID spreads and mutates, rather than being extinguished, it can create vaccine escape variants.
No please don't let vaccine escape variants really gonna happen soon.:eek:

correcaminos

Is there a portion of the population that has natural immunity to the polio virus? How about natural immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, hepatitis, all the other viruses? Are those members of the population encouraged to get vaccinated against those diseases for their own good as well as for "herd immunity"? Is there a good non-political reason that those who can be vaccinated, are excused? Fear of needles and governmental nano-robot tracking microchips not withstanding.
Every vaccine listed was also told to parents that we are helping with herd immunity. In grade schools medical exemptions are allowed (immune issues or allergies) as well as a harder to prove religious exemptions.

MaryJaneP

Isn't this a GLOBAL pandemic and not limited only to the USA only? Doesn't the vaccine status of all various international visitors impact each individual's protection and thus compel getting vaccinated? Even with a 99% effective measles vaccine, wasn't there a recent outbreak of measles at Disneyland?

ImperfectPixie

Isn't this a GLOBAL pandemic and not limited only to the USA only? Doesn't the vaccine status of all various international visitors impact each individual's protection and thus compel getting vaccinated? Even with a 99% effective measles vaccine, wasn't there a recent outbreak of measles at Disneyland?
There was. An international traveler brought it with them and the children of some anti-vaxx parents contracted it.

lazyboy97o

There was. An international traveler brought it with them and the children of some anti-vaxx parents contracted it.
Children too young to be vaccinated also contracted measles along with several people who were vaccinated. The outbreak extended to several states as well as Mexico and Canada.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Measles is also one of the most contagious viruses out there. From the CDC:

Measles is one of the most contagious diseases

Measles is so contagious that if one person has it, up to 90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected. Infected people can spread measles to others from four days before through four days after the rash appears. Measles virus can live for up to two hours in an airspace after an infected person leaves an area.

The hope is that even though a lower percent of people are immune to covid than measles we won’t see a large number of mass outbreaks because it’s not as contagious. Outbreaks will happen, but hopefully we can contain them and they don’t become widespread community spread again.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Looks like Royal Caribbean has caved to political pressure. Vaccinations will not be required for passengers on cruises leaving FL and TX. I wouldn’t be caught dead on a cruise ship any time soon anyway, but that seems like a real recipe for disaster. My biggest concern for the US from this is these ships stop at other International ports so unvaccinated guests could get off and come back with these more contagious variants. They won’t require you to show a negative covid test before getting back on the ship. At least with International flights everyone has to pass a Covid test before coming back into the country.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Looks like Royal Caribbean has caved to political pressure. Vaccinations will not be required for passengers on cruises leaving FL and TX. I wouldn’t be caught dead on a cruise ship any time soon anyway, but that seems like a real recipe for disaster. My biggest concern for the US from this is these ships stop at other International ports so unvaccinated guests could get off and come back with these more contagious variants. They won’t require you to show a negative covid test before getting back on the ship. At least with International flights everyone has to pass a Covid test before coming back into the country.

I'm scared for this big surge for US when they have more contagious variants to make more outbreaks soon.....I don't want another problem in NJ and NY soon....:eek: I don't want this happen very soon!:(

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm scared for this big surge for US when they have more contagious variants to make more outbreaks soon.....I don't want another problem in NJ and NY soon....:eek: I don't want this happen very soon!:(
So far the vaccines are still effective vs the known variants. In some cases the vaccines have a decrease in effectiveness vs the variants but are still considered highly effective. Since the US is far ahead of most other countries it would be wise that we are cautious with cross border travel to avoid bringing more of these variants here.

Polkadotdress

My favorite quote from this article:

“Despite removing the proof of vaccination requirement, he (CEO Michael Bayley) pointed to company data that claims 90% of Royal Caribbean consumers are "either vaccinated or planning to get vaccinated in time for their cruise."

So, maybe we need Royal Caribbean to head up the vaccinatio effort for the country, if they tout a 90% success rate???

Animaniac93-98

I hope their bookings plummet as a result of this, but the opposite is just as likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom