Tusker House, Cape May Cafe and more dining returns to Walt Disney World

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Menu and price updates for Tusker House -

View attachment 561491

View attachment 561492

Natalie Portman GIF

Weather_Lady

The menu is a generic retread of Liberty Tree Tavern or Garden Grill. Come celebrate the diverse and beautiful flavors of Africa with... an extremely limited menu of herb roasted chicken, green beans and macaroni and cheese. :( Don't think you've fooled me because you threw in a couple words like "Berber" and "Curry" either, Disney. I've seen (and, regrettably, tasted) your tepid, flavorless, Americanized interpretations of such terms before!

With this announcement, Tusker House just went from "among the top ten restaurants we haven't tried but would like to," to "I have no desire to ever set foot in there" for me.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
The menu is a generic retread of Liberty Tree Tavern or Garden Grill. Come celebrate the diverse and beautiful flavors of Africa with... an extremely limited menu of herb roasted chicken, green beans and macaroni and cheese. :( Don't think you've fooled me because you threw in a couple words like "Berber" and "Curry" either, Disney. I've seen your tepid, flavorless, Americanized interpretations of such terms before!

With this announcement, Tusker House just went from "among the top ten restaurants we haven't tried but would like to," to "I have no desire to ever set foot in there" for me.
It went from one of our top places to go to over and over to nope not going there. Never thought I'd say UNI's food is looking better but here we almost are:(

Chi84

Premium Member
Places like Boma and Tusker House need the buffet setup in order to remain unique and interesting. I love Boma but always skip the carving station and usually choose the least familiar (and therefore least popular) items. If they bring out a platter of what most people choose, there’s no point in going there.

Weather_Lady

Places like Boma and Tusker House need the buffet setup in order to remain unique and interesting. I love Boma but always skip the carving station and usually choose the least familiar (and therefore least popular) items. If they bring out a platter of what most people choose, there’s no point in going there.
At this point I find it very puzzling that Disney isn't reopening its buffet restaurants as such. Universal did it months ago (with the precautions you'd expect re: PPE, distancing and a boatload of plexiglass) -- along with club lounges at the reopened Universal hotels.

I know Disney is allegedly being "cautious," but putting itself more than a year behind its closest competitor with respect to reopening a popular category of dining seems short-sighted, unless it's part of a larger, long-term cost-cutting plan for which COVID has provided a convenient excuse. The cynic in me suspects that Disney is going to make the change permanent. Soon to be gleefully announced as a response to "overwhelming guest demand": the same, unending roster of mac and cheese, green beans and potatoes, a salad, a platter of roasted meats, and the dryest and most flavorless desserts available, now to be served forever and ever at every formerly-interesting buffet. :(

Phonedave

At this point I find it very puzzling that Disney isn't reopening its buffet restaurants as such. Universal did it months ago (with the precautions you'd expect re: PPE, distancing and a boatload of plexiglass) -- along with club lounges at the reopened Universal hotels.

I know Disney is allegedly being "cautious," but putting itself more than a year behind its closest competitor with respect to reopening a popular category of dining seems short-sighted, unless it's part of a larger, long-term cost-cutting plan for which COVID has provided a convenient excuse. The cynic in me suspects that Disney is going to make the change permanent. Soon to be gleefully announced as a response to "overwhelming guest demand": the same, unending roster of mac and cheese, green beans and potatoes, a salad, a platter of roasted meats, and the dryest and most flavorless desserts available, now to be served forever and ever at every formerly-interesting buffet. :(

Agreed,

Most of WDW dining was repetitious, save for a few places that did not follow the "proteins with a different sauce" script. Now it looks like many of those are being "updated" to the same menu.

thomas998

More interested if pricing goes up for an arguably lesser character experience.
I think we all know it will. Just look at the Boo Bash which is basically a stripped down Not So Scary Halloween Party but at a higher price. Apparently Disney has decided that if they can only accept half as many visitor they will have to double the price on the ones they do get.

thomas998

I think the reality is Disney is hoping that the customers accept the cut backs they've made in which case they may never go back to full on buffets. I mean if it is cheaper to just push out the family style crap at the full buffet price why wouldn't they just do that forever? The whole pandemic has just provided Disney with a big excuse to make all sorts of cuts and price increases. I would be shocked if they didn't try to hold on to those cuts as long as possible... the price increases, well they aren't ever going to go away.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just look at the Boo Bash which is basically a stripped down Not So Scary Halloween Party but at a higher price.
No, it's not. It's just like other Disney After Hours events in which the price is to be in an 'empty' park and hit many, many rides. This one just happens to have some Halloween additions.

There's a huge difference in the number of guests in the park.

GaBoy

Agreed,

Most of WDW dining was repetitious, save for a few places that did not follow the "proteins with a different sauce" script. Now it looks like many of those are being "updated" to the same menu.
Looks like renting a cabin and bringing my own rib eyes and shrimp may be the route for the foreseeable future. Hard to pay that premium for an Applebee's adjacent experience.

mickey0825

Just saw the Tusker House is reopening, which was such exciting news. It is our favorite breakfast spot on property. Used to have a great buffet with all types of food. I get that even with things improving that buffets are essentially still non existent but when I saw the menu and price point, I was absolutely blown away. So $42 plus tax and gratuity for basically scrambled eggs, waffles, bacon and some pastries? Still no personal encounters with characters even though they're walking around. So for my family of 5 (kids are all over 12) it will cost us between $225 - $250 with tax and tip.....anyone else think this is just madness?

Jrb1979

Just saw the Tusker House is reopening, which was such exciting news. It is our favorite breakfast spot on property. Used to have a great buffet with all types of food. I get that even with things improving that buffets are essentially still non existent but when I saw the menu and price point, I was absolutely blown away. So $42 plus tax and gratuity for basically scrambled eggs, waffles, bacon and some pastries? Still no personal encounters with characters even though they're walking around. So for my family of 5 (kids are all over 12) it will cost us between $225 - $250 with tax and tip.....anyone else think this is just madness?
Its there way of pricing more people out.

mickey0825

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom