FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Unless Disney is different from every other hotel in the world (they’re not), running 91% occupancy and taking in revenue of 2-3 billion dollars per year should generate 1-2 billion in profits. How they allocate that on their internal P&L is irrelevant to what would be different if they were running at 66% occupancy which is the relevant question here.

In addition DVC prints money. Riviera probably cost something like $200-$300 million to build and will sell for in the neighborhood of $1.2 billion. If attendance dropped by 1/3 like in the scenario I was responding to DVC sales would drop by 1/3 AND Disney would lose some of their pricing power so they’d maybe get $900 million and it would take an extra 18 months to sell it.

they are different.

but again...I’m not going to plead the same case I’ve been doing for decades.

You’re also debating the fundamental concept of DVC. It isn’t/wasn’t to “profit”
Off initial construction. It’s getting you there and charging you for what you pass through your bellies/suitcases.

I apologize...this is going down the rabbit hole.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I’d sign for a $25 a day maxpass program right now...if they’d give it to me.

but I don’t think I’m anywhere in the ballpark
Agree and agree.... Shanghai admission is 400RMB on off peak days. Premier access (which is what replaced fast pass there) starts at 180RMB for a package of three and goes up from there.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
100% timeshare? I'm just a regular guest... no dvc or anything like that... and I can book rooms there. Is that just because not all the rooms are sold and they're runoffs?

because Florida laws require some rooms to be available for sale at all times.

that’s not a mixed use...the one canceled near fort wilderness was supposed to be. Like boardwalk is.

thats 100% DVC. The first since Saratoga. All the others in between were conversions/retrofits...which actually eliminated rack rooms in most cases.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agree and agree.... Shanghai admission is 400RMB on off peak days. Premier access (which is what replaced fast pass there) starts at 180RMB for a package of three and goes up from there.

that price point is too low.

what’s gonna happen is whatever price...and we need to look around town...is announced is gonna get two very distinct reactions:

1. indignant outrage for the price.
2. Effusive praise for Disney for doing the greatest thing ever.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
that price point is too low.

what’s gonna happen is whatever price...and we need to look around town...is announced is gonna get two very distinct reactions:

1. indignant outrage for the price.
2. Effusive praise for Disney for doing the greatest thing ever.
If I’ve said it once I’ve said it 100 times, everyone’s take is that Disney should limit lines Right up to the point where I can still barely afford it and not a penny more.

except for me, my take is that they should manage capacity problems by building a second Walt Disney World somewhere else in the US. Preferably somewhere that’s not so hot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If I’ve said it once I’ve said it 100 times, everyone’s take is that Disney should limit lines Right up to the point where I can still barely afford it and not a penny more.

except for me, my take is that they should manage capacity problems by building a second Walt Disney World somewhere else in the US. Preferably somewhere that’s not so hot.

magic kingdom: Portland?

with the Tinkerbells magical mushroom kingdom as a mini theme land?

hopemax

You’ll get on what you’ve paid for.
I have always been a proponent of benefits of the old ticket book system. People say today it will never go for it. But if people won’t do it for an attraction, directly, but would do it, indirectly, by buying an add-on package of select Fastpass access, I might hurt myself from laughing too hard.

Could there be one book / package that got you one E-ticket Tier 1 ride FP and 3 Tier 2 / C or Ds and unlimited A’s? and another one that got you 3! E’s and 5 C-Ds? Could you purchase additional Es FP at $100 a pop for your group? Yes, I’m getting silly now.

Although I may be misinterpreting what you are implying in your comment about getting what you pay for. You could just mean an exorbitantly priced unlimited like a pseudo VIP tour without the plaid. Or something else.

Jrb1979

In an ideal world that would be the best of option. We know that's not happening so the best option right now is pay more for shorter waits. I don't really understand the hate for paying high prices for FP? Unless it's due to being priced out of the happiest place on earth.

Chip Chipperson

100% timeshare? I'm just a regular guest... no dvc or anything like that... and I can book rooms there. Is that just because not all the rooms are sold and they're runoffs?

They reserve some percentage of rooms for Disney to rent out for cash. There's also a provision that allows for any rooms not booked with points to be rented for cash 60 days out, which led to some consternation when some people noticed that the points charts for 2022 required more points than previous years since that meant more opportunities for rooms to be rented for cash and less opportunities for members to book stays similar in length to previous years. I believe DVC amended the points chart to correct their "mistake" after receiving member feedback.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have always been a proponent of benefits of the old ticket book system. People say today it will never go for it. But if people won’t do it for an attraction, directly, but would do it, indirectly, by buying an add-on package of select Fastpass access, I might hurt myself from laughing too hard.

Could there be one book / package that got you one E-ticket Tier 1 ride FP and 3 Tier 2 / C or Ds and unlimited A’s? and another one that got you 3! E’s and 5 C-Ds? Could you purchase additional Es FP at $100 a pop for your group? Yes, I’m getting silly now.

Although I may be misinterpreting what you are implying in your comment about getting what you pay for. You could just mean an exorbitantly priced unlimited like a pseudo VIP tour without the plaid. Or something else.

two things would suck:

1. Pay as you go
2. Block pricing

if I had to pick: I’d pick pay as you go

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just announced: Disney Genie will be the source of FastPasses in the form of Magic Lamp "loot boxes." For $10, three Magic Lamps will appear on your smartphone. You 'rub' each one with your finger. Some lamps have no prizes. Most will have a coupon for a snack, like a pretzel or a bag of pop corn. And one out of ten times, you get an any-ride any-time FastPass!!

CaptainAmerica

Just announced: Disney Genie will be the source of FastPasses in the form of Magic Lamp "loot boxes." For $10, three Magic Lamps will appear on your smartphone. You 'rub' each one with your finger. Some lamps have no prizes. Most will have a coupon for a snack, like a pretzel or a bag of pop corn. And one out of ten times, you get an any-ride any-time FastPass!!
flukeR1-300x207.jpg

Nickp1983

What? did Electronic Arts design the app?

doctornick

I wouldn’t be surprised to see FP become a perk of staying on site. They did away with their version of Magical Express so you will need an alternate reason to get people to stay on property. I feel like free FP for hotel guests would be the best option for Disney to not have to pay for magical express busses which I’m sure was expensive. Now they just give free FP which costs them nothing at all and they still get guests choosing to stay on their property.

I know Martin has already said this won't happen, but I still feel like making FP an "included" resort only perk seems like the most elegant solution. It allows the company to charge for FP without directly billing and seeming "greedy" the way those "other lesser parks" charge for line access. It provides an incentive for staying on property where the real massive amount of profits come from.

Tiering the number of included fastpasses with the level cost of the hotel also helps drive guests towards higher costed rooms, where apparently the occupancy rate has been lagging in recent years. I've suggested before that something like 3 FP per day for Deluxe, 2 for Moderate, 1 for Value would be a big differentiator among the properties but still allow for their to be some upside to the more affordable rooms compared to off site.

Not to mention that right now if the perfect time to develop and announce this to be effective on (say) January 1, 2022 so it coincides with the loss of DME. The amount of FP distributed by this would be much less than previously given out and would not result in as much wait time inflation for the standby.

You could even include FP as part of a higher tier AP so that you aren't implicitly excluding locals but would result in charging them as well if they want such access.

CaptainAmerica

I know Martin has already said this won't happen, but I still feel like making FP an "included" resort only perk seems like the most elegant solution. It allows the company to charge for FP without directly billing and seeming "greedy" the way those "other lesser parks" charge for line access. It provides an incentive for staying on property where the real massive amount of profits come from.

Tiering the number of included fastpasses with the level cost of the hotel also helps drive guests towards higher costed rooms, where apparently the occupancy rate has been lagging in recent years. I've suggested before that something like 3 FP per day for Deluxe, 2 for Moderate, 1 for Value would be a big differentiator among the properties but still allow for their to be some upside to the more affordable rooms compared to off site.

Not to mention that right now if the perfect time to develop and announce this to be effective on (say) January 1, 2022 so it coincides with the loss of DME. The amount of FP distributed by this would be much less than previously given out and would not result in as much wait time inflation for the standby.

You could even include FP as part of a higher tier AP so that you aren't implicitly excluding locals but would result in charging them as well if they want such access.
tenor.png

Roy G. Dis

Sounds like T-Mobile tuesdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom