FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Besides the logistics/software part, why couldn't WDW roll out a maxpass type system? Paid only . No guarantees of anything. No paper alternative. Give it to resort guests for free (or don't!). Let everyone else fork over a variable cost per day. People who want to pay to skip lines, can.

that could be what ends up happening.

but as far as resorts for “free”....frankly - they don’t value that business that much. And we don’t make them either...so it’s on us.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
None really, since that is what Project Marlin is shaping up to be.
1621138209754.jpeg

UNCgolf

yeah...but the 90,000 numbers is low. As one poster put it: that really might only cover on property rooms. Prior to the “plague”...there were close to 600 hotels in Orlando...I think?

Yeah, but they were talking about only giving FastPasses to Disney resort guests, which is where that 90k number came from.

No Name

The thing about the fastpass system having been butchered for the park passes doesn't make much sense. I'm no expert but I've built some basic systems, and it's not hard to copy the components of the original so that you don't lose it. Like if you typed up an important paper, would you just edit the original copy to write something else? No, obviously not. In this case it's not quite that simple because there's things like database management and maybe a little machine learning involved, but it's the same general idea, and it's really a matter of copying files. If they did that, it shouldn't take more than a day's work to get it running again. I'm wondering what I'm missing, or if Disney is operating on a new level of stupid.

No Name

Also worth noting that Disney's theme parks have, for many years now, been the only major parks to not charge for their line-cutting system. I know you can book earlier with hotels and whatnot, but at its core, fastpass has always been included for everyone who purchases a ticket. This positively differentiates Disney from the industry standard and probably goes against Bob Chapek's core values, so I'm surprised it's stayed that way for so long, and I'll be sad to see it cost money.

bryanfze55

i love you (no seriously...I do)

but you didn’t answer the question/identify the problem there.

opening a water park with small attendance that the majority of travelers don’t go near isn’t gonna fill that kinda gap.

putting carnie rides in the Epcot parking lot...or the terrible useless hole in the center...is honestly more effective
Honestly, it seems to work for the California Adventure park

MurphyJoe

Honest opinions. What do you feel the reaction would be if Disney copied Universals completely?

Deluxe hotels grant you unlimited fast passes per day.
Then for the rest, you had the option to say increase your ticket per day by 50 bucks to get 1 fast pass per ride. Or 85 per day to get unlimited.

In a previous discussion, I ran the math and with the average occupancy rate of the deluxe resorts there would be 23,962 people who would have unlimited or 5,990 per park divided evenly; which happens to be about twice of Universal's daily unlimited with room numbers. With that many unlimited peeps walking about, it's realistic that certain popular attractions could be nearly shutout for everyone else. If Disney isn't offering free parking (and charging more for parking at the deluxes because they can) then I can't imagine them offering a massive park benefit like this. Yes, I know Universal charges for parking too. However, Universal never offered free parking at their hotels with the benefit either, from what I recall.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, but they were talking about only giving FastPasses to Disney resort guests, which is where that 90k number came from.
So torpedo a large part of your daily business catering to hotels you stopped building (more or less) since the 90’s?

a third of the rooms timeshares?

Well that’s one idea

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The thing about the fastpass system having been butchered for the park passes doesn't make much sense. I'm no expert but I've built some basic systems, and it's not hard to copy the components of the original so that you don't lose it. Like if you typed up an important paper, would you just edit the original copy to write something else? No, obviously not. In this case it's not quite that simple because there's things like database management and maybe a little machine learning involved, but it's the same general idea, and it's really a matter of copying files. If they did that, it shouldn't take more than a day's work to get it running again. I'm wondering what I'm missing, or if Disney is operating on a new level of stupid.
Sounds like a cover story, doesn’t it?
I’d call it “the big lie”...but that’s already taken

GaBoy

But didn’t for Dak
I'm a relative new comer to the parks. Went there as a kid in 75 and then returned with grandkids in 2016. So, I only have the FP experience. Reading through your posts have been eye opening. You have a great handle on the real issue which seems to be not enough attractions exist to absorb the crowds and management since Eisner hasn't done much more than squeeze every dollar they can out of what has been in place.
I also gather that FP isn't coming back most likely and on a crowded day this is a nightmare. My dentist point blank told me to NOT go until FP returns. He went spring break and said that you get your "one" at rope drop then its a day of enjoying the park in a queue.
My question to you is, " what would your solution be? What do you think is the right balance?"

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm a relative new comer to the parks. Went there as a kid in 75 and then returned with grandkids in 2016. So, I only have the FP experience. Reading through your posts have been eye opening. You have a great handle on the real issue which seems to be not enough attractions exist to absorb the crowds and management since Eisner hasn't done much more than squeeze every dollar they can out of what has been in place.
I also gather that FP isn't coming back most likely and on a crowded day this is a nightmare. My dentist point blank told me to NOT go until FP returns. He went spring break and said that you get your "one" at rope drop then its a day of enjoying the park in a queue.
My question to you is, " what would your solution be? What do you think is the right balance?"
Uh oh...don’t encourage me 🤪

GaBoy

Uh oh...don’t encourage me 🤪
But I do.
I think that you hit the core of the issue and it has got everything to do with leadership style.
I believe their choices continue to double down on this move away from creative leaders.
More than anything, I want to understand (personally) why, when I go, I leave swearing that I need to go for a shorter stay next time. Or that I need to go when it's less crowded, too cold for most, etc. There are trips that end with my wondering if I need to go back or that I am good and have had the experience. It isn't long that I start getting that "hankering" again. I think it's under my skin but I hate that there is something intrinsically wrong in the experience that leaves me feeling the way I do at the end of the trip.
I just think it may be the very simple fact that we haven't had Walt in a very long time and his fingerprint in culture keeps us coming back but those running his legacy have made it a mission to cannibalize versus create. Again, my perspective is an experience starting in the last 5 years first hand, but a lifetime of Disney influence that, at times, I wasn't even aware was there and not aware until I hit my 50's that it mattered so much.

Goofyernmost

Fastpass is also a crowd management system...if not enough people are using it...it doesn’t work. If too many have open floodgates access...doesn’t work.
That is certainly the reason that they are using as a reason, but I don't believe it had anything to do with that. I was to initially just to keep people buying more stuff as they waited for their window to open. Whatever, reason it really became a class A, number one massive frustration device to a lot of people that for whatever reason couldn't get one. What Disney has done since then is cater to the Type A's that were never taught patience and equal opportunity. I stood in the regular lines, pre-Fastpass for years and it was not the anger producing set up it became with Fastpass. Once they started offering FP on every attraction it stopped being crowd management and became a way to try and calm those that couldn't get one for what they wanted. Give'um something to lower their blood pressure and make it seem like they are getting something special for all that cash they are handing over.

I wrote to Disney shortly after FP was initially instituted because it was alarming just how much anger was being produced by it from those that were stuck watching other pass them by while they stood there in the heat and fatigue of the experience. That never existed previous to FP. Jokes, mild frustration, maybe, but never anger. The line moved continuously and you genuinely felt like you were making progress because you were. I directly told them that IF YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A FASTPASS LINE AT LEAST HAVE THE DECENCEY TO HIDE IT AND NOT FORCE PEOPLE TO HAVE TO WITNESS CONTINUOUSLY EXPANDING LEGAL LINE CUTTING.

The likelihood that I would ever purchase a FP at a high cost is close to non-existent, however, at least I could smile and get some enjoyment about how they paid extra for the 8 minute experience that I am going to experience at no additional charge much sooner than I did before.

dreday3

My only qualms about no fast pass is I'm slightly worried about the supposed large crowds coming in October and no "guaranteed" 3 rides a day.

I have absolutely no idea how to plan our attack of the parks/rides and it's hard to plan because you can't base it on crowd levels now because they will most certainly be increased by October. I can handle 45 minute waits or less, but if rides are all going to be over an hour - I need a plan.

I guess have to go back to rope-drop, but I don't want to do that every morning - with everyone else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom