Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The they should be increasing capacity soon and in the near future. Not now.
If I were king of the world for a day I probably would have delayed the recent major change by a few weeks, maybe made it June 1. I think we could have gotten a little higher vaccination percentage and I also think it’s very unfair to front line retail workers who in a lot of places were not even eligible for the vaccine until mid-April. Even if they went the first week available they still aren’t 6 weeks past that shot so not fully immune. Now they have to go to work and deal with the maskless and in some cases unvaccinated public before they are done their series. They need money to live so can’t just not go to work.

Outside of that timing shift I’m ok with it. We had to rip the band aid off some time. It’s a gamble, but hopefully we have enough people vaccinated most places to avoid a surge.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
No I'm talking about this:
May I don't wear mask anymore in this fall/winter after COVID-19 isn't a threat in US anymore?

Its common in South East Asia to wear masks during cold and flu season, I hope it catches on here but then again everyone is so self centered....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No love for the best PA park. Knoebels
They went the way of Disney World. No masks outdoors but masks still required indoors. But they are actually following the science and saying only fully vaccinated people can go mask free. They aren’t asking for proof of vaccination but at least that’s the rule. Make people lie, don’t just cave in.

Chi84

Premium Member
If I were king of the world for a day I probably would have delayed the recent major change by a few weeks, maybe made it June 1. I think we could have gotten a little higher vaccination percentage and I also think it’s very unfair to front line retail workers who in a lot of places were not even eligible for the vaccine until mid-April. Even if they went the first week available they still aren’t 6 weeks past that shot so not fully immune. Now they have to go to work and deal with the maskless and in some cases unvaccinated public before they are done their series. They need money to live so can’t just not go to work.

Outside of that timing shift I’m ok with it. We had to rip the band aid off some time. It’s a gamble, but hopefully we have enough people vaccinated most places to avoid a surge.
They are only dropping the mask requirement for people who are outside and not in queues. Do you think that is putting CMs at risk? I’m only asking because Disney clearly does not think so and they’ve been pretty responsible with protocols so far. Maybe they are allowing only vaccinated employees to work with the maskless people outside.

Last edited:

Nickp1983

They are only dropping the mask requirement for people who are outside and not in queues. Do you think that is putting CMs at risk? I’m only asking because Disney clearly does not think so and they’ve been pretty responsible with protocols so far.
I feel like yelling. ITS ONLY MASKS OUTSIDE!!! And you can still wear one!

the way some people are acting, I swear they think Disney was injecting kids with leukemia directly with Covid.

Incomudro

I'm not in either camp, except I think both Dr. Fauci and the CDC could have more consistent/clear in their messaging all along, including now.

Two weeks ago, the CDC director was on the air talking about the dangers of the new variants, and how we all needed to keep wearing masks. To me, it sounded too much like Chicken Little. The most recent announcement feels inconsistent.

In my view, public messaging needs to be clear, relatively simple, but ALSO- and this is the key part- the public needs to know the objective. Why is the public being asked to do something?

In my view, a better approach would have been to set a clear goal and clear benchmarks, and how close we were getting to those benchmarks. A better message, in my view, would have been two part. this is just a sample of the type of message they could have said, not actual specific numbers:

We will be able to begin relax the mask mandate - be degrees- when we reach two critical benchmarks:
A. 65% of the population is vaccinated (or some other number)
AND
B. We see national case numbers drop below 10 per 100,000 population. (or some other number).

Please do your part to help us get to these benchmarks, because we are in this together. We are all on the same team.

C. It also feels weird to me that this was relaxed less than a week after 12-15 year olds became eligible to be vaccinated. Relaxing the mask mandate sends a message that 12-15 year olds - as people- do not matter. To me, it would have been better to give that age group a minimum of 2 weeks to get shot #1/partial vaccination.

I think the message would have been all around much stronger if the CDC's message had been more inclusive. It was a missed opportunity, because the message could have been done in such a way that it would have encouraged 12-15 year old to be part of the solution! The message could have been something like WHEN we get 50% of teens vaccinated, then we'll reach our goal of having 65% of the population vaccinated. We are SO close! Help us reach our goal!

And just....well..12-15 years olds are VERY effective at persuaders. Every vaccinated teen has the ability to talk their parents into getting vaccinated. Eager to-be-vaccinated year-olds vs. scared-of-a-little-needle adults.

We could have had a positive message out of this as a way to incentivize reluctant adults.
Excellent post, and they never made any of this clear to the public. (I don't really agree with the 12-15 year old part however)
Something the public could look at, understand, and work towards.

Incomudro

You once again are missing the point. I think I was down at Disney while you were at some point. I was struggling with masks as I’m sure thousands of others were. BUT, and this is what your not getting.. there are others.. thousands actually that planned and paid for their vacation based on mitigation’s put in place by Disney that they felt comfortable with. Idols why they planned their vacation. They wanted something different for their family and they had the rug polluted out from underneath them. Sometimes it’s not just about you.
You are correct in saying “notice is usually given for a purpose “. What better purpose would there be to have their guests experience what they paid for? I sometimes just don’t get people who just don’t see other peoples point of view.
In saying all that, it was brutal with the masks, BUT I knew it when I booked. I wasn’t blindsided .
That's putting an awful lot of faith in those mitigation methods.
Personally, if I was at all afraid of covid - I would not go to a place as crowded as WDW gets, simply putting my trust in masks, and distancing.

Nickp1983

That's putting an awful lot of faith in those mitigation methods.
Personally, if I was at all afraid of covid - I would not go to a place as crowded as WDW gets, simply putting my trust in masks, and distancing.
THOUSANDS!
LOL. I'd love to know where they got THOUSANDS from. Is that an accurate number based on... SCIENCE... or are we reducing arguments to hyperbole because the science no longer agrees with them.

So many takes remind me of.

Attachments

• jfzebq4dq7z11.jpg
    jfzebq4dq7z11.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 34

Nickp1983

What does his take have to do with 2 year olds wearing a mask outside in Florida heat and humidity? Seems to be about indoor mask guidelines which haven't changed at Disney.

I've tried to be understanding but at this point... I think anyone who has a problem with no masks outside is just looking for a reason to complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom