Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

bcoachable

I can't imagine being the CM or contractor that was responsible in the 1994 SSE refurb for going through the hatch at the top of the window set, hitting the floor and coming face to face with an animatronic that had been sealed behind glass since 1982, only to then remove her costume....and skin....and leave her their as a metal skeleton with eyes and a mouth........

It's eerie knowing she's still up there behind the black paint that's all over the window structure.
Que David Bowie’s “Space Oddity”

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
09F4BE5A-AFB8-46AB-A258-E0887550E544.jpeg

Wdwsince86

Imagine being the Imagineers doing the next refurb.... maybe you don’t even know window girl is in there. You’re going to check out what’s in that hatch to assess what you’re removing, you hop down and AHHHH face to face with a terminator looking thing o_O... hidden/defunct animatronics both fascinate me and creep me out.

Dragonman

Imagine being the Imagineers doing the next refurb.... maybe you don’t even know window girl is in there. You’re going to check out what’s in that hatch to assess what you’re removing, you hop down and AHHHH face to face with a terminator looking thing o_O... hidden/defunct animatronics both fascinate me and creep me out.
I honestly hope they reuse her/the remaining portions of the space station for the next refurb. Definitely a lot better than staring at a screen.

Wdwsince86

OnoI honestly hope they reuse her/the remaining portions of the space station for the next refurb. Definitely a lot better than staring at a screen.
I’m definitely not a fan of the current “finale”, but my 6 yr old gets a big kick out of seeing herself on the screen. When she heard me and her mom talking about SSE being refurbed, she asked if the screens would stgmill be there, and I told her they likely wouldn’t be and the End of the world followed. I’d like to have scenes to look at, but for her sake I hopxre they keep the screens in some fashion for her sake, or at least that we get to go ride it one more time with the screens.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’m definitely not a fan of the current “finale”, but my 6 yr old gets a big kick out of seeing herself on the screen. When she heard me and her mom talking about SSE being refurbed, she asked if the screens would stgmill be there, and I told her they likely wouldn’t be and the End of the world followed. I’d like to have scenes to look at, but for her sake I hopxre they keep the screens in some fashion for her sake, or at least that we get to go ride it one more time with the screens.
Amazingly you got the same experience in Disneyland at a podium in Innoventions.

JoeCamel

Did you tell your daughter to direct her comments to guest services? ;)

Dragonman

It would also be nice to be able to choose the narration overall. I really want to have an official option, even if hidden, to listen to the old narrations while riding.
I’ve heard (I think from @marni1971) that the Perrin recordings still exist, they definitely need a remaster if they’re ever reused in some form.

Last edited:

DoleWhipDrea

I'm not sure anyone's really talked about it on the boards but they're not even using guest photos for the finale segment now. They were there for a little bit after EPCOT re-opened from the closure but a few months later they decided to use the default cartoons. I imagine that was due to the even stranger photos that came from people wearing masks on the attraction. Usually you would have half of a face and no eyeballs.

This may just be temporary due to the issue with the pictures and masks.

Nthderivative

I'm not sure anyone's really talked about it on the boards but they're not even using guest photos for the finale segment now. They were there for a little bit after EPCOT re-opened from the closure but a few months later they decided to use the default cartoons. I imagine that was due to the even stranger photos that came from people wearing masks on the attraction. Usually you would have half of a face and no eyeballs.

The on ride photos were being used last week.

Wdwsince86

IIRC, they weren’t working when we last went in 18.... anyway, personally I’d rather have a good finale. I wasn’t old enough to remember finale when I first rode in 86, and barely remember it when I went back in 92 but I certainly remember the ending with the dioramas that are allegedly still hidden behind the curtains (at least what’s left of them) and that along with the sphere and city model at the end was phenomenal IMO... and when I went back for the first time in 12 years in 2015 I was VERY disappointed to find the current one, other than the kick my daughter got out of the screens... however I think for EVERYONE something interesting to look at would be better than what it’s devolved into currently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom