Disney’s Q2 (Jan/Feb/Mar) FY 2021 Earnings Results Webcast on Thursday, May 13, 4:30ET.

el_super

He heavily implied it, which is what my point was.

All he did was draw a conclusion between how wearing a mask isn't great in the Florida heat, and that the CDC changed their expectations. If he wanted to say that they would be eliminating the mask mandate in the summer, he would have said "we are looking at removing the mask mandate by this summer."

They could lift the mask mandate this summer, but what Chapek said was, as others have said, pretty non-committal.

jmp85

Well folks, I don’t know about you guys, but hearing Bob’s response on today’s CDC announcement was more than I expected. Was basically an implied endorsement of removing masks outdoors at a minimum. Wonderful news for those of us who have been waiting for that prior to our return.
We're headed down 5/15 through 5/21, so I would anticipate masks being dropped on 5/22.

ToTBellHop

All he did was draw a conclusion between how wearing a mask isn't great in the Florida heat, and that the CDC changed their expectations. If he wanted to say that they would be eliminating the mask mandate in the summer, he would have said "we are looking at removing the mask mandate by this summer."

They could lift the mask mandate this summer, but what Chapek said was, as others have said, pretty non-committal.
If you want to be noncommittal, you say nothing. You certainly don’t admit the current experience is not completely Magical.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Q: How can you squeeze more money out of park goers? Simulcast sports?

Bob: COVID allows us to rethink and rejigger pricing. Annual Pass --> Loyalty Program. And we've already squeezed more out of the suckas!!

Simulcast.... we're thinking about it and explored it and some plans coming.

Slpy3270

In case you're wondering how far baseball's popularity has fallen, the new MLB deal will be only for Sunday night games and postseason/wild card games. ESPN won't air any more weekday games.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Q: Feels like you're behind on sports streaming. Any plans to catch up? Lemme give you inside cricket... stuff can change in India, will that obviously change you?

A:Bob: We're keeping options open. When the time comes to move more fully into DTC Sports, we'll do it.

havoc315

You don’t talk about how unpleasant masks are in the summer if you aren’t planning to help with that. You would just say “we are evaluating the new CDC guidance.” He’s shrewder than people think.

Agreed. And it's an investor call -- Extra obligation to be careful with how your speak. You can get into serious trouble for anything that might mislead investors, so everyone on the call knows to be very very measured.

It sounded like he knows that masks, at least outdoors, will be gone by summer. Which isn't exactly a giant leap, given everything coming from every Governor, the CDC and even Fauci.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Q: Sports... will you add in more rights, or are you full? Sports gambling?

A: Bob: we have a full plate. Not much more left. We started to do a little with sports gambling, and we'd like to do more.

We plan to ask park guests to Drink Around the World, then head to ESPN bar and bet their houses!! [I may have dreamt that.]

ToTBellHop

Agreed. And it's an investor call -- Extra obligation to be careful with how your speak. You can get into serious trouble for anything that might mislead investors, so everyone on the call knows to be very very measured.

It sounded like he knows that masks, at least outdoors, will be gone by summer. Which isn't exactly a giant leap, given everything coming from every Governor, the CDC and even Fauci.
Absolutely. Even here in CT, our outdoor mask mandates ended 2 weeks ago. It’s not a risky move for Disney. It will be expected.

el_super

That’s not CEO-speak. You never suggest you are providing an imperfect experience unless you are fixing it. He ignored the question about the parks feeling full because they have no intention of lowering crowds.

No I get it, you are just extrapolating "masks are going away" from the CEO suggesting he doesn't like wearing a mask in Florida. They are going away, eventually, but Chapek has nothing to say regarding definite plans to do so.

Slpy3270

Chapek says they're open to NFL Sunday Ticket package discussions and will only make deal if it's worth it.

Reminder that AT&T took a loss on Sunday Ticket when they announced the DirecTV pseudo-spinout.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Q: When do films to to theaters, or Premium Access?

A:Bob: We still like theatrical window. But D+ has also been very successful (merch for Mandalorian called out as something I heard Bob smile through as he said it). We're still waiting for theaters to come back full. We view hybrid release as good for us, theaters, and customers. Don't know what we may do after theaters fully open with regard to D+, hybrid, or theater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom