New Roundup Rodeo BBQ sit-down restaurant coming to TSL

UNCgolf

Imagine you are walking through Andy's bedroom or some room in Andy's house, you pass by a window, and out of the window you see his yard with a model of Toy Story Land actually built with toys. Then once you leave the room and enter his yard, you are in that world you just saw. Maybe it's a corny idea but right now the entrances to the land are pretty weak and I think that would be an awesome reveal. It's something they could still feasibly do too.

Yeah, that's another issue with the land. There's really no transition between Galaxy's Edge on one side and the rest of DHS on the other side and TSL. I think the average guest doesn't even know they're supposed to be in Andy's backyard because there's not much to suggest that; it certainly doesn't look like an actual backyard as someone else said above. It basically looks like a big open area with some giant props scattered around.

I had no idea it was supposed to be Andy's backyard the first time I saw it; I only learned that from posts on here.

aliceismad

Radiator Springs Racers blows anything WDW has built out of the water... The additional shops and details create about the best immersive environment WDI has ever built...It is colorful and beautiful eye candy everywhere...
I agree. But RSR is too similar to Test Track, in my opinion, to devote a new land at WDW with it as the anchor ride. Toy Story Mania and its queue, which already existed at DHS, and its fit easily into the TSL idea. And I think the legacy of Toy Story is important to recognize. It changed animation forever. Similarly Star Wars changed speculative fiction movies forever.

Disney could've chosen to do a non-specific Pixar Land with elements of various IP, but that doesn't seem to be the development plan for new areas. Of the recent expansions - Carsland, Pandora, SW:GE, TSL, I feel like TSL is easily the worst. (We will see how Avengers Campus fits in.) I would like to see improvements to TSL. It is flawed. I just personally feel like it is still an enjoyable and visually interesting area.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
That's another problem with the land, though -- there's really not room to build anything else (that I'm aware of, at least) or change much without basically tearing something down and replacing it. Slinky Dog Dash takes up a ton of real estate (there's room to put something small things in a couple of areas under the track, but certainly not anything major).

I think the only option to add anything without tearing down Alien SS or SDD is to tear down and/or retheme Woody's Lunch Box, but that's just a QS restaurant. You could also get rid of the seating area next to it, but then you eliminate some of the only shade in the land (the umbrellas) as well as, you know, anywhere for people to actually sit down with their food.

I think WDI could really only add about 2 or 3 smallish A-ticket type attractions as it stands. They might be able to pull off the rare B-ticket Carousel or Spinner but they're definitely constrained. Such a poorly designed land.

Taking a page from their own playbook in how they padded New Fantasyland with filler attractions; I could easily see them doing similar in TSL. A themed splash pad (R.C. Car Wash?) a "find the hidden characters" type attraction (Jessie's Critter Corral?) or an interactive scavenger hunt type game using the Green Army Men... There's a need for leisurely attractions in TSL. And more attractions in DHS as a whole. It's not ideal but it's something.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I think WDI could really only add about 2 or 3 smallish A-ticket type attractions as it stands. They might be able to pull off the rare B-ticket Carousel or Spinner but they're definitely constrained. Such a poorly designed land.

Taking a page from their own playbook in how they padded New Fantasyland with filler attractions; I could easily see them doing similar in TSL. A themed splash pad (R.C. Car Wash?) a "find the hidden characters" type attraction (Jessie's Critter Corral?) or an interactive scavenger hunt type game using the Green Army Men... There's a need for leisurely attractions in TSL. And more attractions in DHS as a whole. It's not ideal but it's something.
This is the flagship resort for the world's largest creative entertainment company. A global brand...
there should not be ":something is better than nothing" part of any of these parks. It is also the most expensive Theme park in the world to visit. It should still be an amazing experience... there should be no space fillers at this point... Every decision they make should make sense and be tailor-fit for it's location... Other parks are doing more...Universal is creating more immersive experiences and doing it better... What has happened to WDI in the last decade....

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
This is the flagship resort for the world's largest creative entertainment company. A global brand...
there should not be ":something is better than nothing" part of any of these parks. It is also the most expensive Theme park in the world to visit. It should still be an amazing experience... there should be no space fillers at this point... Every decision they make should make sense and be tailor-fit for it's location... Other parks are doing more...Universal is creating more immersive experiences and doing it better... What has happened to WDI in the last decade....

Agreed. The fallacy here is that we often think of Disney, as the Disney from a bygone era and not the Disney of today. Today's Disney is financially irresponsible. They follow trends vs setting them. They don't plan for the future, they plan for the now. They are no longer the forward-thinking empire of themeparkdom. Disney's braintrust is controlled by it's shareholders who are as creatively bankrupt as their own "Imagineers." Today's Disney is just a shell of it's former self, treading on it's name and hoping their brand carries them a little farther. For that to change, a larger shift in the company needs to happen. IMHO, of course. The parks just aren't as important anymore it seems.

Yikes! Got a little winded there. Need another cup of coffee.
So about that Roundup Rodeo joint. Think it'll happen?

Bocabear

Agreed. The fallacy here is that we often think of Disney, as the Disney from a bygone era and not the Disney of today. Today's Disney is financially irresponsible. They follow trends vs setting them. They don't plan for the future, they plan for the now. They are no longer the forward-thinking empire of themeparkdom. Disney's braintrust is controlled by it's shareholders who are as creatively bankrupt as their own "Imagineers." Today's Disney is just a shell of it's former self, treading on it's name and hoping their brand carries them a little farther. For that to change, a larger shift in the company needs to happen. IMHO, of course. The parks just aren't as important anymore it seems.

Yikes! Got a little winded there. Need another cup of coffee.
So about that Roundup Rodeo joint. Think it'll happen?
I kinda hope it won't....and they take the pause to come up with something better.. What they continue to learn is that people will pay to eat in beautifully themed environments... Plywood game piece cutouts and giant Christmas lights don't really equal the quality that they could and should do...Give us something better... A fully realized Pizza Planet... Anything but a restaurant set in the queue of Toy Story Mania...

Purduevian

Slinky Dog Dash with a queue that took you through Andy's bedroom would have probably been more interesting than anything else that exists in the current land.
Isn't the load area of TSMM Andy's Bedroom?
1620914093768.png

UNCgolf

Isn't the load area of TSMM Andy's Bedroom?
View attachment 557192

Yeah, but mainly as a flat wall decoration. I'm talking about actually an actual physical 3D representation you could walk through. Especially if they made it oversized to fit the theme of you being a toy; it could have switchbacks that take you through different parts of the room broken up by toys etc.

SplashJacket

Yeah, but mainly as a flat wall decoration. I'm talking about actually an actual physical 3D representation you could walk through. Especially if they made it oversized to fit the theme of you being a toy; it could have switchbacks that take you through different parts of the room broken up by toys etc.
Here's Tokyo's TSMM

1620919608751.png

The bedroom entrance door is also really cool
1620919712597.png

The whole room has a lot of cool mirror trickery going on.

Attachments

• 1620919609759.png
    1620919609759.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:

SplashJacket

This is how the third track of DHS’ is themed, but only a third of guests get to see it, so the point about flat theming in the original load station still stands.
While Hollywood Studio's TSM technically does have a bed station, I'd argue it's nowhere near as effective.

Here you can see the mirrors on the bed-, but the actual blanket is entirely flat.
1621056122515.png

Here's the big door.

1621056168779.png

From this angle, the bed looks like a generic, entirely flat wall, because that's what it is.

1621056273240.png

I'm sure a lot of guests don't even realize it's supposed to be a bed, whereas in Tokyo it is immedietely apparant.

1621056441475.png

While both Tokyo and Hollywood Studios are going for the same thing, the execution at HS falls flat, whereas in Tokyo, it's a clear success. The 3 dimensional bed wall adds so much to the area. HS's TSM bedroom was constrained by the one track, whereas in Tokyo, they could make a more expansive area due to the two tracks.

1621056368008.png

Dutch Inn '76

A better organized company would have realized around 7/5/18 that this was needed, started building it immediately, and opened it in time for Toy Story 4. It is shocking sometimes how this company misses out on synergy, especially where it would be perfectly reasonable. Can we get Duck Tales World Showcase Adventure before Duck Tales is about to go off-the-air (like Kim Possible and then Phineas and Ferb...)?
image.jpeg

Bocabear

I agree. But RSR is too similar to Test Track, in my opinion,
Have you ever been on RSR? It feels and looks NOTHING like Test Track. There are multiple spinner rides and Dark Rides and Boat Rides and Roller Coasters and at no time does anyone say...Gee, Pirates Of The Caribbean is exactly like Small World... Or What a shame Buzz Lightyear and Haunted Mansion are so similar...I cant tell them apart!
I hate that argument that they cannot use one technology because there is a ride that uses the same system within the 4 theme parks. Let's put that argument to bed...

No Name

Have you ever been on RSR? It feels and looks NOTHING like Test Track. There are multiple spinner rides and Dark Rides and Boat Rides and Roller Coasters and at no time does anyone say...Gee, Pirates Of The Caribbean is exactly like Small World... Or What a shame Buzz Lightyear and Haunted Mansion are so similar...I cant tell them apart!
I hate that argument that they cannot use one technology because there is a ride that uses the same system within the 4 theme parks. Let's put that argument to bed...
Oh please. The similarly car-centric stories, the very similar pacing, and the fact that RSR and Test Track are the only two rides of their type, set it apart from any of your other examples. This case goes far beyond the argument you try to claim it is.

Movielover

This 100%!!!! Universal does it with Spider-Man and Transformers in the same resort. I've said it on here before but there is no reason why we could not have Dinosaur at AK, Detective Tracy's Crimestoppers at DHS, and Indiana Jones Adventure at MK.

Oh please. The similarly car-centric stories, the very similar pacing, and the fact that RSR and Test Track are the only two rides of their type, set it apart from any of your other examples. This case goes far beyond the argument you try to claim it is.

You forgot Journey to The Center of the Earth at Disneysea.

All 3 versions are vastly different due to their plots and the way they tell their narratives. Your argument is the same as the stupid argument that no more rollercoasters should be built in the resort since there are already existing rollercoasters on site. How is this any different from Disney reusing the HM system for If You Had Wings? Same exact ride system, completely different story and experience.

Bocabear

hardly... Pacing and track length are completely different...only similarity is there is a fast part and you are in a car....
Small World/Pirates... There is a slow part and you are in a boat...
Tron/Rock N Rollercoaster You are on a coaster, There is a launch part and a dark part...
Dumbo/Flying Carpets/Astro Orbiter. Spinner with up and down motion (and those are all in the same park)
There is no reason that within two different parks that they cannot use a similar ride system...especially when the end experience is worlds different.

Movielover

hardly... Pacing and track length are completely different...only similarity is there is a fast part and you are in a car....
Tron/Rock N Rollercoaster You are on a coaster, There is a launch part and a dark part...
Dumbo/Flying Carpets/Astro Orbiter. Spinner with up and down motion (and those are all in the same park)
There is no reason that within two different parks that they cannot use a similar ride system...especially when the end experience is worlds different.
Lets see there's also HM and Little Mermaid,
China and Canada 360 films
MILF and Turtle Talk

Hope no one informs him that ROTR, MMRR, and Rat are all trackless rides. Clearly those are exactly the same experience on all 3...

Heck he probably hates riding the bus to AK since it's the exact same bus transportation to MK! ;)

No Name

This 100%!!!! Universal does it with Spider-Man and Transformers in the same resort. I've said it on here before but there is no reason why we could not have Dinosaur at AK, Detective Tracy's Crimestoppers at DHS, and Indiana Jones Adventure at MK.

You forgot Journey to The Center of the Earth at Disneysea.

All 3 versions are vastly different due to their plots and the way they tell their narratives. Your argument is the same as the stupid argument that no more rollercoasters should be built in the resort since there are already existing rollercoasters on site. How is this any different from Disney reusing the HM system for If You Had Wings? Same exact ride system, completely different story and experience.
I did forget Journey to the Center of the Earth and that one is pretty different. The other two are not, and you decided to completely ignore the reasons why.
And you downplayed them. The similarity isn’t that you’re in a car, it’s that the car you’re in is the central focus of the attraction. The stories share a similarity that cannot be said for any of your other examples. The pacing is indeed very similar with a fast portion at the end. Most guests will have never ridden another one of these rides unlike spinners and coasters. So again, these other examples you keep mentioning don’t hold a candle to this one.

lazyboy97o

This 100%!!!! Universal does it with Spider-Man and Transformers in the same resort.
They’re doing it with Transformers and Jurassic World in the same park in adjacent lands.

The stories share a similarity that cannot be said for any of your other examples. The pacing is indeed very similar with a fast portion at the end.
Having the fast portion first would be anticlimactic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom