Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Most arguments I’ve seen around “freedom” are actually arguing for “anarchy.” Anarchy is everybody doing whatever they want. That’s not freedom. Freedom only works when it includes a basic awareness of and concern for the existence of another. Otherwise, my “freedoms” impact the freedom of others.

The sad thing about the vaccine and mask arguments, is that if people would just roll up their sleeves, there would be no need to have a vaccine/mask discussion in 6-8 weeks.

Instead, obstinacy and confusion about anarchy vs. freedom is going to keep this going so much longer. If it weren’t for the collateral damage, “survival of the fittest” would be a compelling strategy, though, with regard to vaccines. :)
I wish some of the "freedom" crowd here would read what some of the founding fathers had to say about freedom's necessary relation to civic virtue.

bryanfze55

I first saw these survey results on May 4 in the NYT in an article that was titled:

$100 as Incentive to Get a Shot? Experiment Suggests It Can Pay Off.​

A cash reward works best with Democrats, and relaxing safety guidelines seems to motivate Republicans, a survey study shows.​

View attachment 555747

And:

View attachment 555748

The article's content was summarized in the following paragraph:

These results show both the difficulty of getting the remaining unvaccinated people to clinics and the promise of efforts aimed at doing so. While most messaging effects were small, monetary payments seem to motivate Democrats, and relaxing cautionary guidelines seems to work for Republicans.​
$100 isn’t a lot of money. If that convinced people to get the vaccine, their “anti-vax” convictions clearly weren’t that strong. Leads me to believe there’s a lot of people out there whole aren’t inherently “anti-vax” but rather just totally indifferent to the vaccine and unwilling to be inconvenienced to get it.

For better or worse, I have some non-immediate family members like this. They aren’t against the vaccine but are just so unconcerned about getting the virus that they have no motivation to lift a finger and seek out the vaccine.

ParentsOf4

The relaxing of restrictions for individuals is a pipe dream. Unless we want the Federal government to prevent a private business from requiring masks it can’t work. So if that plan happened Disney would be forced by the government to operate without masks or distancing because they would have no way to know who was vaccinated and who isn’t in FL since it’s illegal there to ask for proof of vaccination.
As soon as the Biden administration says it's safe to no longer wear masks indoors, most businesses will quickly end their mask requirements.

A company trying to enforce a mask mandate once the Federal government says it's safe is only going to result in a lot of unhappy customers and employees.

People will continue to wear masks, if they wish, but masks are not popular among most Americans.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
But it would be much harder for private companies to enforce or keep mask policies in place if the majority of people refused to wear them because they are vaccinated and in compliance with health guidelines. Not to mention that most private companies make their rules based on public health guidelines. So it’s not really pipe dream. It’s going to get to that point sooner than later.
Disney will be able to enforce as long as they like. Too many people need those elitist after hours parties and will do whatever it takes to attend. I almost feel like it’s the last place in the US that can drop the masks despite the fact that many of its guests wouldn’t be caught dead in them anywhere else.

ColeTrain04

Disney will be able to enforce as long as they like. Too many people need those elitist after hours parties and will do whatever it takes to attend. I almost feel like it’s the last place in the US that can drop the masks despite the fact that many of its guests wouldn’t be caught dead in them anywhere else.
Any company can enforce as long as they like but there will come a point when it effects their revenue.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Any company can enforce as long as they like but there will come a point when it effects their revenue.
And that’s the million dollar question we’ve all been asking for years in terms of Disney’s “value” to its guests. I doubt this will change anything. People will continue to go, I don’t see how this could get in the way.

LaughingGravy

The next month is going to be interesting in NJ. Nicer weather being consistent, more parties, restaurants opening up to full capacity ( yet officially needing to maintain distances, which will not happen) and nobody requiring proof of vaccination. There will be a lot of unvaccinated at all or one shot out of the needed two folk who flout and test the lack of a requirement for masks if among fully immunized(last shot plus 2 weeks). With walk-in vaccines a relatively easy option now here with a little research, I have no sympathy for what happens to those who do not have a legitimate medical reason, independent of any "belief". What was the phrase that was being bandied about not too far back? "@#$% your feelings". Now, that can come with real consequences.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
The next month is going to be interesting in NJ. Nicer weather being consistent, more parties, restaurants opening up to full capacity ( yet officially needing to maintain distances, which will not happen) and nobody requiring proof of vaccination. There will be a lot of unvaccinated at all or one shot out of the needed two folk who flout and test the lack of a requirement for masks if among fully immunized(last shot plus 2 weeks).
I’ll grab the popcorn.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But it would be much harder for private companies to enforce or keep mask policies in place if the majority of people refused to wear them because they are vaccinated and in compliance with health guidelines. Not to mention that most private companies make their rules based on public health guidelines. So it’s not really pipe dream. It’s going to get to that point sooner than later.
As soon as the Biden administration says it's safe to no longer wear masks indoors, most businesses will quickly end their mask requirements.

A company trying to enforce a mask mandate once the Federal government says it's safe is only going to result in a lot of unhappy customers and employees.

People will continue to wear masks, if they wish, but masks are not popular among most Americans.
I think my point was missed. If you say the new rule is anyone who gets vaccinated doesn’t need to wear a mask or follow any restrictions but those who aren’t vaccinated still do then how does Disney enforce that? I’m not talking about keeping masks forever or once the recommendations say they aren’t needed. Again, these polls are saying people would get the vaccine if they personally could stop wearing a mask once vaccinated. That’s the pipe dream. I’m not saying once the public health guidelines are revised to say masks aren’t needed it’s a pipe dream to expect them to be gone. For Disney the Governor has made it illegal to ask from proof of vaccination from a customer in the state so if the rules were changed to once you are vaccinated you don’t need to wear a mask and the federal government forced them to follow that they would either have to drop all Covid restrictions immediately of close the parks.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
If you’re vaccinated you shouldn’t be worried about who’s not. The vaccines work right? If they do then you’re protected. Nobody forced you to get the vaccine.......do you know that that is? PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY 🤷🏻‍♂️

also.....if you fear your children getting the virus then you probably shouldn’t take the to large gatherings. You know.....science and whatnot.
This

ColeTrain04

I think my point was missed. If you say the new rule is anyone who gets vaccinated doesn’t need to wear a mask or follow any restrictions but those who aren’t vaccinated still do then how does Disney enforce that? I’m not talking about keeping masks forever or once the recommendations say they aren’t needed. Again, these polls are saying people would get the vaccine if they personally could stop wearing a mask once vaccinated. That’s the pipe dream. I’m not saying once the public health guidelines are revised to say masks aren’t needed it’s a pipe dream to expect them to be gone. For Disney the Governor has made it illegal to ask from proof of vaccination from a customer in the state so if the rules were changed to once you are vaccinated you don’t need to wear a mask and the federal government forced them to follow that they would either have to drop all Covid restrictions immediately of close the parks.
You’re point was understood. I’m just suggesting that if the fed says you don’t need masks after vaccination then there would be a lot of people who are on the fence about it getting vaccines. That would do 2 things.

1. More people vaccinated which helps control the virus (obviously)
2. More people wouldn’t be willing to wear them any more which would almost force a private business hand in rewriting their rules.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
The next month is going to be interesting in NJ. Nicer weather being consistent, more parties, restaurants opening up to full capacity ( yet officially needing to maintain distances, which will not happen) and nobody requiring proof of vaccination. There will be a lot of unvaccinated at all or one shot out of the needed two folk who flout and test the lack of a requirement for masks if among fully immunized(last shot plus 2 weeks). With walk-in vaccines a relatively easy option now here with a little research, I have no sympathy for what happens to those who do not have a legitimate medical reason, independent of any "belief". What was the phrase that was being bandied about not too far back? "@#$% your feelings". Now, that can come with real consequences.
is not gonna spike here or will there be a spike/surge in NJ next month, July or August. Is masks will be gone by August or September?

mmascari

Agree, but was that ever a question?

They’re going to say it’s safe to no longer wear masks in public gatherings once spread is low enough. Did anyone think this wasn’t true?

They haven’t given a specific number, which might be nice, but a general target. We’re still not near that target. Closer, but slowing our rate of advance lately.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You’re point was understood. I’m just suggesting that if the fed says you don’t need masks after vaccination then there would be a lot of people who are on the fence about it getting vaccines. That would do 2 things.

1. More people vaccinated which helps control the virus (obviously)
2. More people wouldn’t be willing to wear them any more which would almost force a private business hand in rewriting their rules.
So if your goal is to force businesses to do something than sure it’s a win, but for the businesses it’s a nightmare. Not sure why we can’t just make a goal of percent vaccinated and when we hit it the rules are relaxed. Then we accomplish #1 without having to endure #2. The poor CMs and workers in other businesses have been through enough we don’t need to set them up for more conflict. It’s not too difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom