Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For those who say that "get vaccinated and you can stop masking" messaging wouldn't make a difference in vaccine adoption rates, new polling data out shows that it would. In fact, the poll shows that people across all political groups as well as across all racial/ethnic groups would be more likely to take the vaccine if they could stop masking once they did. Overall, the number of people willing to get vaccinated increased by 13% if they could drop mitigation measures once vaccinated, which the science says they should be able to do.

Here is a brief Twitter thread from the former surgeon general commenting on this as well as other potential incentives, and it contains the actual poll results.

In a similar poll, 99% of people who aren’t vaccinated would get the shot if they were given $1M afterwards. It’s great in theory, but not practical to implement.

Rich Brownn

You don’t know, you don’t worry about it. You are vaccinated.

edit to add, at some point you are going to have to make peace with this. Not everyone will be vaccinated.
Thats what herd immunity is for. Not everyone can get vaccinated. But the more people who refuse for no good reason means 1) People who can never be are put at risk and 2) The longer it takes, the bigger the chance the virus can mutate to the point the current vaccines stop working.

Sometimes it's not just all about you.

Rich Brownn

Yup. What started out as a quest for religious freedom (by the Puritans) evolved into a fight against taxation without representation...thus, America was born.
One of the great myths is that the Puritans were on some sort of holy quest to be free from persecution. In truth the Puritans were so inolerable of people of any other faith, they were litrerally thrown out of every country. They weren't being persecuted as much as they were persecuting.

ImperfectPixie

One of the great myths is that the Puritans were on some sort of holy quest to be free from persecution. In truth the Puritans were so inolerable of people of any other faith, they were litrerally thrown out of every country. They weren't being persecuted as much as they were persecuting.
Why do you think Americans are considered "prudish" by so many other countries? ;)

ColeTrain04

How does that work? So we say once you are vaccinated you don’t need to follow any rules? How do we know who is vaccinated? My kids aren’t vaccinated yet so I walk into CVS and the guy behind us in line has no mask and isn’t distancing so I’m supposed to trust him that he’s fully vaccinated? You have much more faith in humanity. The very people who fought masks and rules all year aren’t going to start wearing a mask now voluntarily because they aren’t vaccinated. That’s a fairy tale.

If I’m WDW how do I know which guest needs to wear a mask and which doesn’t? I’d be fine with a system that requires we show proof of vaccination to not wear a mask in public. I’d wear a lanyard around my neck or a wrist band but I know many people would be highly opposed to that. Unfortunately the most practical way is to set a public vaccination percentage.
If you’re vaccinated you shouldn’t be worried about who’s not. The vaccines work right? If they do then you’re protected. Nobody forced you to get the vaccine.......do you know that that is? PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY 🤷🏻‍♂️

also.....if you fear your children getting the virus then you probably shouldn’t take the to large gatherings. You know.....science and whatnot.

ImperfectPixie

If you’re vaccinated you shouldn’t be worried about who’s not. The vaccines work right? If they do then you’re protected. Nobody forced you to get the vaccine.......do you know that that is? PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY 🤷🏻‍♂️
We HAVE to worry about whether people are being vaccinated or not. If not enough people get vaccinated and virus mutates and renders the vaccines ineffective, we're all back at square one, thanks to a minority of people who wouldn't do what needed to be done.

peter11435

The poster said why they should be worried about whose not vaccinated. They have children who can not be vaccinated yet.

And everyone should be worrying about the unvaccinated. If everyone was vaccinated the virus could be effectively eliminated. With large numbers of unvaccinated individuals you still have excessive transmission that can lead to mutations/variants and you run the risk of eventually rendering the vaccine useless.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m not worried about who is vaccinated personally. I’m talking about setting policy. Disney has mask requirements so how can they as a company determine who is vaccinated and doesn’t need a mask and who still needs to wear one? Cases aren’t low enough for nobody to wear masks. So we wait.

ColeTrain04

I’m not worried about who is vaccinated personally. I’m talking about setting policy. Disney has mask requirements so he can they as a company determine who is vaccinated and doesn’t need a mask and who still needs to wear one. Cases aren’t low enough for nobody to wear masks. So we wait.
Ok again if you’re vaccinated it doesn’t matter. If you’re scared about your children getting it and having long term effects then you should take them to large gatherings such as theme parks until you can get them vaccinated. The “caring about others” argument goes both ways. You’re absolutely right that people who have been against masks and rules all along aren’t going to change their stance. But at the same time those of us who have been vaccinated shouldn’t really care about who isn’t.

ColeTrain04

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but people in general are getting really sick of the “Covid rules” at some point we have to realize this isn’t going away and we need to get back to the way things were. There’s an inherent risk to everything you do everyday.

ColeTrain04

Yes it does I can’t fully return to normal and live my life because Covid is still circulating, why is it still circulating? The anti vaccine crowd (and I’m sorry if you’re still questioning it now, you’re anti vax end of story.)
How am I anti vax but I’m vaccinated? I believe in personal responsibility and that that goes both ways.

Tom P.

You don’t reward people for doing a civic duty, you punish those that refuse. Here’s my idea:

For the 2021-2023 Tax years increase everyone over 18’s taxes by $2000 a year. However, if you have been fully vaccinated and can document it, you get a $2000 tax credit.
I guarantee you that you would get more people to be vaccinated by offering a $100 reward than by imposing a $2,000 tax penalty.

ColeTrain04

Yes it does I can’t fully return to normal and live my life because Covid is still circulating, why is it still circulating? The anti vaccine crowd (and I’m sorry if you’re still questioning it now, you’re anti vax end of story.)
But my point is you should be able to return to normal. You’re vaccinated. It doesn’t matter who else is. You’ve protected yourself. Those that choose not to get vaccinated are only putting themselves at risk. And to be honest at this point if you don’t get vaccinated and get sever symptoms from Covid then it’s your own damn fault

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ok again if you’re vaccinated it doesn’t matter. If you’re scared about your children getting it and having long term effects then you should take them to large gatherings such as theme parks until you can get them vaccinated. The “caring about others” argument goes both ways. You’re absolutely right that people who have been against masks and rules all along aren’t going to change their stance. But at the same time those of us who have been vaccinated shouldn’t really care about who isn’t.
What I care about is irrelevant. What aren’t you getting? Disney has to set a policy or the government or any retail store. Their policy cannot be if you are vaccinated you follow different rules than if you aren’t unless you require proof of vaccination everywhere. It doesn’t matter what I care about. This isn’t about me being fully vaccinated and being scared of anything. Once we get enough people vaccinated it won’t matter, we can drop the rules for everyone. The goal is getting enough people vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom