Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How would you classify someone who has received the vaccine yet has concerns based on learned discussions and relevant anecdotal experience?
I would classify them as smart. Any concerns about the vaccine pale in comparison to the concerns about actual Covid infection. Unfortunately a lot of people are under the false impression that death is the only possible negative outcome with Covid so if they are in the demographic at lower risk of death they think it’s no big deal.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Outdoor face coverings.
So is his comment implying that the major theme park companies will likely drop outdoor face coverings when OC hits 50% vaccinated with 1 shot. Disney still hasn’t gone down to 3 feet of distancing. I think they want to stay consistent with DLR but at some point they will not line up at all with the rest of Orlando market.

Chomama

Bewilderment I understand. I don't get the animosity.

I think there are a segment of..... vaccine hesitant..... who have had extremely bad experiences with medication and doctors. Before Covid, one of the top 3 leading causes of death was hospital mistakes. Is it REALLY so hard to believe that some people distrust the medical profession?

I hope all the hesitant find a doc they trust who encourages them to get the vaccine. I REALLY want this to be over. But I don't blame people for being nervous.

I can’t speak for anyone but myself but I wouldn’t call my feelings towards these people as animosity. It’s more frustration. It has been a very long year and we have a relatively easy way out of this thing. Other countries are being absolutely pummeled and would kill to have this much vaccine. Instead of banding together and getting Covid under control we are debating red v blue states (never even heard that before these last few years), government tracking devices and if Covid is really a big deal. I completely understand that it’s scary putting an unknown into your body. However there is a ton of accessible information out there that would put most minds at ease if the emotional manipulation of certain talking heads didn’t exist. Obviously all people who aren’t getting a vaccine yet can’t be lumped into one category. But please try to understand the frustration, however poorly communicated. People are tired.

lazyboy97o

I agree that there is a difference between hesitancy and anti-vax. Most people I know who declined the COVID vaccine as of now, are fully vaccinated with all other vaccines (measles, polio, etc.) So they are not straight up anti-vaxxers.
But again, what is the root of that hesitancy? A lot of it has origins in the specious arguments put forth against vaccines in general. Being vaccinated and even getting one’s children vaccinated does not mean one is not anti-vaccines.

Great point. I would also add that it's simply wrong to vilify the hesitant group. It's hard to trust anything anyone says these days, and a lot of folks are just too busy to look into this stuff for themselves.
At this point, with millions vaccines, it’s no longer a question of trust and authority, it is the realm of conspiracy.

Chomama

But again, what is the root of that hesitancy? A lot of it has origins in the specious arguments put forth against vaccines in general. Being vaccinated and even getting one’s children vaccinated does not mean one is not anti-vaccines.

At this point, with millions vaccines, it’s no longer a question of trust and authority, it is the realm of conspiracy.
Exactly! Saying you want to see how people react last January, fine. But 150 million Americans are fully vaccinated. One in a million of those died from
Covid. Get the shot. The evidence is in

Heppenheimer

Hundreds of millions at this point.

SamusAranX

It’s mainly because they are anxious about the long term. Whether we like it or not these vaccines are technically labeled as EUA and so of course naturally people sill be anxious. Show them understanding and try to win them over, not smash them over the head or assume what their reasons are

lazyboy97o

It’s mainly because they are anxious about the long term. Whether we like it or not these vaccines are technically labeled as EUA and so of course naturally people sill be anxious. Show them understanding and try to win them over, not smash them over the head or assume what their reasons are
“We don’t know the long term effects” is a major anti-vaccine talking point.

Incomudro

And they'll use that position to point out other things that the government has told people was safe in the past (the air around ground zero after 9/11 is a common one that I see) that have turned out to be not safe, or were even outright lies.

Patcheslee

Just talking to DD12 about her comfort level with reduced distancing at Uni. Her thought is "as long as I can still wear a mask, I just don't want to get sick", no issue with that of course right now, and I doubt it will be an issue if she feels better still wearing one if requirement is dropped. FYI her only memory of being really sick was probably 6 years ago and is still traumatized by the vomiting. I finally told her Pfizer is being reviewed for 12-15 age next week, so she may be able to get started before we go depending on what the state says and appointments. She says she'll listen to the radio in the mornings and text me if they open it lol.
I'm gonna owe her a Starbucks for being so adult about it.

Chomama

Just talking to DD12 about her comfort level with reduced distancing at Uni. Her thought is "as long as I can still wear a mask, I just don't want to get sick", no issue with that of course right now, and I doubt it will be an issue if she feels better still wearing one if requirement is dropped. FYI her only memory of being really sick was probably 6 years ago and is still traumatized by the vomiting. I finally told her Pfizer is being reviewed for 12-15 age next week, so she may be able to get started before we go depending on what the state says and appointments. She says she'll listen to the radio in the mornings and text me if they open it lol.
I'm gonna owe her a Starbucks for being so adult about it.
It’s amazing how kids have responded to all of this. We could learn a lot from them

Chomama

Really? It’s from the graphics used by the media in tracking the 2000 presidential election results. It’s even backwards compared to most of the world.
I guess that’s accurate but it seems to have become a part of every day conversation that it wasn’t before. At least in my area! Just my own experience so could be others were already arguing all the time. I have just seen it pick up a lot around us, especially around Covid.

SamusAranX

“We don’t know the long term effects” is a major anti-vaccine talking point.
Not for normal people. It’s easy for their mind to say “well of course I’ll take a polio vaccine it’s been out for decades and proven safe time and again” or “of course I will take the MMR, I got it twenty five years ago as a child and will have my kids take it”.

but they see a “new” vaccine and naturally get anxious. It’s a human thing. Doesn’t mean they’re correct (as we know mRNA has been under research for ten plus years). But it’s a natural worry that can be overcome with patient understanding, not the condescending assumptions you make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom