Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I can guarantee you that even if shortsigated governors like DeSantis and Abbott wave the restrictions, private enterprises and companies won’t just wave them as easily.
I would like to add Cuomo and Mayor DeBlasio to the list. Just because they may say things will be "open 100%", we already have guarantees that private enterprises will not be following suit.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s over guys. By July there won’t be a single remaining restriction. Start making peace with that fact.
I’d love it if that happened. Just need to keep getting people on to take the vaccine. I do know a guy who said last Spring that Covid would be over soon and it didn’t work out well for him....he lost his job and got kicked out of his house 🤓😜🤪

ImperfectPixie

I can guarantee you that even if shortsigated governors like DeSantis and Abbott wave the restrictions, private enterprises and companies won’t just wave them as easily.

I would like to add Cuomo and Mayor DeBlasio to the list. Just because they may say things will be "open 100%", we already have guarantees that private enterprises will not be following suit.
It's nice that what's in our best interests overlaps with what is in the best interests of businesses for a change.

AEfx

Third would be that Disney attracts people from all over to mix together. So it may be safe for a grocery store or restaurant in a rural town to be open without restrictions due to low community spread even if less than half the residents in the town are vaccinated or naturally immune due to mostly local patrons and low community spread. It may also be safe for a grocery store in a more urban but not necessarily touristy area to be open without restrictions due to high vaccine rate and low community spread and also due to mostly local patrons. But WDW will mix vaccinated and unvaccinated groups together so they can’t just look at cases in Orange County or FL as a benchmark. They need to consider the national picture which will be way slower to stabilize.

Oh, exactly - that is what I was talking about in regards to things like Single Rider lines. I mean, even once things "stabilize" and more people feel comfortable being at WDW, period, how many people are just itching to share their ride car sitting with touching thighs close with a stranger from who-knows-where for ten minutes?

That's what I touched on the other day when I talked about longer-term ideas of social distancing, etc. aren't just going to totally magically disappear entirely any time soon. Fast food chains are already creating redesigns that don't have dining rooms at all. Grocery stores are doing permanent remodeling to "flow" and separate customers as much as possible, etc.

I mean, even down to things like restaurants handling your food - do we want wait staff who is carrying our food on their shoulders right in front of their faces heavily breathing on it as they race around, doing a physically demanding job? Or, this one really got me - even if you are fully vaccinated, and everyone there is...can you see a kid's birthday party where the kid huffs and puffs and blows out a dozen candles lit all around the cake moments before it's cut up and served to 25 different people?

For some folks, maybe even a lot or most, these things may return. But for others, I do think there is just more of a general awareness of germ spreading that is here to stay. Even just as people start to realize, that unless you have gotten COVID, most of us in terms of colds/allergies/etc. have head some of the healthiest years of our lives because we haven't been exposed to so many lesser, but still annoying and unpleasant viruses out there.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
It's nice that what's in our best interests overlaps with what is in the best interests of businesses for a change.
And just for safekeeping:

BEAE63A6-48A9-46B5-A917-8F6D6B647F3E.jpeg

Bill in Atlanta

It takes the fight to us. Before, it was a County ordinance. The County is “the fall guy.” Now it’s the business owner’s decision. It necessarily invites conflict from nut jobs.

Again, our competitor already had to throw someone out today. We had arguments with people online several times today even though our policy is unchanged. This is unnecessary friction that was not so much happening yesterday, thanks entirely to this Governor. It invites the nut jobs to challenge us, make a scene, go after our employees, etc.

I decided to watch the entire press conference for myself. DeSantis' position is that some local authorities are unnecessarily and unjustifiably using emergency powers to restrict individual liberties. And, as governor he has the ability to use his power to protect Florida residents from that overreach (as he sees it).

The default position of conservative/libertarian leaders is usually to defer to local authorities except for special cases where those local authorities go too far in restricting liberties (as they see it). It appears that DeSantis believes this is such a special case.

In response to the mayors who indicated that local government restrictions are still justified, DeSantis commented that if you believe that policing people is still necessary, then you don't believe in the vaccines or the science behind them. Seems to be a fair point given that the vaccines have been available to all Florida adults since late March, and the data shows the vaccines are extremely safe & effective.

In regards to the instances of nut jobs causing problems inside private property because they don't understand the difference between a government mandate and a business requirement... it's unfortunate, but I don't know that any government action will ever fix that type of ignorance. Shifting power from government entities to individuals & businesses is usually a noble pursuit, but not one free of collateral damage. Hopefully the good outweighs the bad here.

sullyinMT

Out of the 19th century as well.
Good to know you’re better than them. I hope that’s not you’re intent. Hillbilly Elegy would be a good watch or read. As an Appalachian Son, they (rural Americans) are good people who live in a small world. I left at a young age to volunteer in the developing Cibao region of the Dominican Republic, broadened my horizons, and never looked back. But I’ve never forgotten the good people that raised me. Sarcasm is a welcome way to release frustration, but bludgeoning a people with how backward they are isn’t going to win them over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom