Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamusAranX

Why do I get the feeling Disney is going to be the last place to become normal again (without masks, no social distancing, all shows returned etc )

Disney may also use this opportunity to never bring some things back or even charge for fastpasses eventually
You’re a little behind the 8 ball on that last statement. Disney has been trying to maximize revenue with as little cost to themselves as possible. This has given them an excuse to do so

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not true. I was in Western PA 2 weeks ago and it still looked like October with all of the Trump signs. Not just signs - there were a lot of flags also. People might be lazy and leave a sign up, but flags not so much.

The Floridians who are upset with DeSantis are people who did not vote for him and never will. The people who voted for him do not consider it "nonsense". It is quite the split down here. Seriously, you cannot find two people more different than Ron DeSantis and Andrew Gillum, or the people who voted for each of them.

This only affects a handful of cities/counties. Most had already removed the mandates on their own. Definitely a blue/red divide on this issue.

I grew up in western Pennsylvania and my stance holds.

there’s not enough of them since the mine shut down 40 years ago

LittleBuford

As some of you know, my dad was hospitalised with COVID in late January and put on a ventilator. I'm happy to say that, after a long and difficult weaning process, he's finally come off it, more than three months later. I share this news for two reasons: first, to highlight the amazing life-saving work the medical community is doing at this very challenging time; and second, to hammer home the point that people need to take the virus seriously and get vaccinated. My dad may be off the ventilator, but he remains in ICU and faces months and months of recovery. There's just no good reason—none at all—for those who are eligible not to get the vaccine. True, most who contract the virus will have a much easier time of it than my dad has, but why take the risk at all when you simply don't have to?

Do the right thing, both from a self-serving perspective and for the world at large: protect yourselves and help end this awful pandemic.

Patcheslee

News station tries to correct the false information of vaccines causing virus shedding= people post the Exposure During Pregnancy reporting requirements arguing the reports say it does shed. Reality: it's give examples of when to report EDPs

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is a look at the latest report from the FDOH -

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 2.29.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 2.29.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 2.30.06 PM.png

Here is what the state reports for deaths and hospitalizations - the first is from last Wednesday (April 28th), while the second is from Today (May 5th).

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 2.29.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 2.29.31 PM.png

Kevin_W

AEfx

Why do I get the feeling Disney is going to be the last place to become normal again (without masks, no social distancing, all shows returned etc )

Disney may also use this opportunity to never bring some things back or even charge for fastpasses eventually

I think you have that feeling, because that's very likely what is going to happen. There are two reasons:

First, when/if profit levels return to "normal", they still have lost an incredible amount of money over this. They are going to try to be making up for it for a very long time. Entertainment cuts are always the first to go, last to return. I fear most for fireworks/Fantasmic/etc...I hope it is not the case, but the days of capping every night with an expensive pyrotechnic show at every park may very well be behind us for the foreseeable future. I can live without the parades, and even some of the shows, but to me personally, a day at WDW is only going to be half the experience until the nighttime shows are fully operational.

Second, the unique issue that WDW faces is that basically every inch of the place was explicitly designed to pack as many people as possible into as small a space as possible.

One example that obviously comes to the top is something like the stretching room in the HM. It is going to be very challenging for Disney to predict when people would accept being crammed into the "dead center", shoulder to sweaty shoulder with dozens of other people in a sealed room for several minutes. Another would be single rider lines - how many people are going to want a random stranger in the same ride vehicle as their family?

There are nearly endless things like this that Disney is going to contend with, just because of the very design goals of the property.

havoc315

Israel's 7-day average of cases is now 68. On a per capita basis, that's the equivalent of the US having under 2,500 cases per day.

That's what it is possible. And the number is still declining in Israel. I wouldn't be surprised to see them under 50 per day by next week.

... and their 7-day rolling average of deaths: 1 per day. Equivalent to 33 per day in the US.

Touchdown

I would fear too much for the fireworks, crowds thinned very quickly starting at 2-3 pm in every park every day. It was very noticeable. If people aren’t in the park, they aren’t spending money. How does Disney keep them in the park? Night shows, while I wouldn’t be surprised if OUAT or SWGS don’t come back, I’m certain each park will have a night show back soon, and I bet AK’s new one gets fast racked to open by fall of 2022. They are a proven way to keep people in the parks later.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think you have that feeling, because that's very likely what is going to happen. There are two reasons:

First, when/if profit levels return to "normal", they still have lost an incredible amount of money over this. They are going to try to be making up for it for a very long time. Entertainment cuts are always the first to go, last to return. I fear most for fireworks/Fantasmic/etc...I hope it is not the case, but the days of capping every night with an expensive pyrotechnic show at every park may very well be behind us for the foreseeable future. I can live without the parades, and even some of the shows, but to me personally, a day at WDW is only going to be half the experience until the nighttime shows are fully operational.

Second, the unique issue that WDW faces is that basically every inch of the place was explicitly designed to pack as many people as possible into as small a space as possible.

One example that obviously comes to the top is something like the stretching room in the HM. It is going to be very challenging for Disney to predict when people would accept being crammed into the "dead center", shoulder to sweaty shoulder with dozens of other people in a sealed room for several minutes. Another would be single rider lines - how many people are going to want a random stranger in the same ride vehicle as their family?

There are nearly endless things like this that Disney is going to contend with, just because of the very design goals of the property.
I don’t disagree with the economic factors, but there come a time pretty soon where they will have to compete again for customers. Disney has always wanted to maximize profits so that hasn’t changed. They will only Increase costs if they think it is needed to increase revenues.

Third would be that Disney attracts people from all over to mix together. So it may be safe for a grocery store or restaurant in a rural town to be open without restrictions due to low community spread even if less than half the residents in the town are vaccinated or naturally immune due to mostly local patrons and low community spread. It may also be safe for a grocery store in a more urban but not necessarily touristy area to be open without restrictions due to high vaccine rate and low community spread and also due to mostly local patrons. But WDW will mix vaccinated and unvaccinated groups together so they can’t just look at cases in Orange County or FL as a benchmark. They need to consider the national picture which will be way slower to stabilize.

AEfx

I would fear too much for the fireworks, crowds thinned very quickly starting at 2-3 pm in every park every day. It was very noticeable. If people aren’t in the park, they aren’t spending money. How does Disney keep them in the park? Night shows, while I wouldn’t be surprised if OUAT or SWGS don’t come back, I’m certain each park will have a night show back soon, and I bet AK’s new one gets fast racked to open by fall of 2022. They are a proven way to keep people in the parks later.

I hope they all return, and are included in the regular park day. To me, they are a huge part of the Disney experience. My fear is, they restrict them to hard ticket events...and then start doing those like 3x or 4x a week year-round.

Totally, totally hope that is not the case - with the MK especially, I just can't imagine spending a day there and not ending up with fireworks at the castle. It's the most magical thing of all.

havoc315

Watching wait times, I've noticed that -- And it's a silver lining for many guests right now. The last 2 hours in the park seem to have very low wait times compared even to the early morning.
Difficulty finding dining reservations probably also contributes:
Your average guest shows up some time in the morning. Once they get tired or get finished with the rides on their agenda, why stick around? If they are day guests, they can go eat dinner off-site, and no reason to come back with no night entertainment.
On-site guests as well... once they start to get tired, what's the point of staying late at the park?

So seems to be some guests, those who are willing to first enter the park 2-3 hours before close, could really get a nice pleasant low-wait experience.

As an example... it's 4pm as I write this. Today Animal Kingdom closes at 7pm. So with 3 hours to go:
FOP still pretty bad at 60 minutes
Dinosaur 30 minutes
Expedition Everest only 15 minutes
Safari - 30 minutes, not horrible
Navi River -- 25 minutes

Check back in an hour, FOP will probably be under 45 minutes.

At DHS, with 4 hours until close: Runaway Train and Smuggler's Run are both only 30 minutes, not terrible. TSM is only 25 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom