Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SorcererMC

A lot of the people refusing to get vaccinated are the same people who refused to change their behavior for the past 13-14 months. They had friends over without masks, both outdoors and indoors. They went to parties at friends' and family members' homes. If they refuse to accept that the virus is a real danger then nothing will convince them to get a vaccine because they're not altering their lives as it is - and when you add in anti-vax propaganda on social media then they start to believe that it's all a big conspiracy and that the virus is minor but the vaccine is dangerous and anything that contradicts their beliefs is either part of the conspiracy or coming from a sheep who isn't as enlightened as them.
I'm aware of what has been going on, but it's time to look forward now. Behavioral science says that there's something that will probably convince them. It depends on their reasons, beliefs and attitudes that can overlap and interact in various ways, whether it's social or economic. If it's a medical concern, then it has to be addressed by a medical professional. I'm not touching the political component of this with a ten-foot pole because it's not permitted here. I've already said that I expect the government to address the disinformation problem. Public health is not reinventing the wheel. They know what works and will adapt accordingly.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m going in August. If there are still outdoor masks you will find me in the pool with a cold drink most of the day :cool:
The temperatures right now are ridiculous for early May - heat indexes over 100. I can say that more people than not are carrying water and drinking while walking, and I haven’t seen anyone confronted about it. Seems like Disney doesn’t want guests getting heat stroke.

hopemax

The blue paper disposable type are by far the most comfortable, if not wasteful. Disney’s own are great but a little pricey for me personally. Just DON’T wear those Tommy Copper ones from Home Depot. Those have been my favorite in the drier mountain air, but I legitimately thought I was going to suffocate even in the mild Florida November.
The actual paper masks are the ones I packed for park days. I have some of the Disney ones, and I sweat in them here, I can't imagine them in FL. They were pretty good when it was 3 degrees. I'm considering wearing a face mask in future winters simply to prevent my cheeks and nose from freezing on the super cold days. But I'm only planning on wearing those in FL to go to Costco or other stores.

dreday3

The temperatures right now are ridiculous for early May - heat indexes over 100. I can say that more people than not are carrying water and drinking while walking, and I haven’t seen anyone confronted about it. Seems like Disney doesn’t want guests getting heat stroke.

We were supposed to be there this week and we switched to last week of October. I'm pretty happy with that decision because we didn't think it was that hot in early May! :D

Chi84

Premium Member
We were supposed to be there this week and we switched to last week of October. I'm pretty happy with that decision because we didn't think it was that hot in early May! :D
We have expiring DVC points. Just decided to do as much as we can. It’s almost never this hot in early May. In fact, pre-COVID our trips were usually in May and October, and May almost always is cooler and less humid than October.

havoc315

It’s going to be interesting. I plan to sweat a lot so I am not looking forward to unintentionally water boarding myself with a mask 😬.

Since I'm joining you in August.....

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. Well, optimistic if you're against mitigation:
I suspect mask rules will be significantly relaxed by August.

Everyone is normalizing faster than many expected. It's becoming a rush. WDW brought back The College Program much faster and more urgently than they expected to.

I still don't believe WDW will be anywhere close to "normal" by August: They simply move very slow PLUS they are actively reevaluating what to bring back, what to change forever.
But in terms of Covid restrictions: There will be growing pressure to remove mitigation. Even Broadway shows in NYC are allowed to open in 2 weeks (though it will take longer to actually get them going). Pretty amazing that NYC can have indoor Broadway shows possibly before WDW feels it is safe to have Beauty and the Beast in an outdoor theater!
Indoor masks may stick around a bit longer.

But I'd be shocked if masking rules weren't significantly relaxed outdoors by August. Also expecting much less social distancing. (they are bringing back the College Program and recalling cast members as a clear sign of increasing capacity).

dreday3

We have expiring DVC points. Just decided to do as much as we can. It’s almost never this hot in early May. In fact, pre-COVID our trips were usually in May and October, and May almost always is cooler and less humid than October.

We had a cold snap last trip in October and had to wear jackets/jeans for a few days, so I'm hoping for highs in the 80s when we go this time. We always go towards end of the month, I know earlier in the month is usually more humid.

havoc315

Yeah, here is a reason Giant Eagle will give you $5 in groceries to get your fly shot. They are not expensive.

Sorry about the arthritis injection. That sounds like Remicade, which is wonderful stuff but super pricey.

Did the Remicade years ago..... On something else now.
All wonderful stuff. But super pricey. Thank goodness for decent insurance.

I guess I am thinking more of it operationally and logistically for Disney Parks. Not the virus itself, there simply can't be any gray area with masks, require them or not is what I am getting at. Having people wear a necklace with their vaccine card simply won't happen and would be a disaster to enforce and tell if its a real card, fake or just an index card with writing on it.
I see where youre coming from now

Vegas Disney Fan

Absolutely it will make a difference for me.
I’m not totally against getting one. I’ve tried to go twice to the “walk-in” option near me and each time have been told “appointment only right now” - I currently can’t find an appointment except for J&J which I don’t want.
I got my second Pfizer vaccine just over a month ago and it’ll make a difference to me also, even a month after receiving my second dose I still worry about long term side affects and how quickly it came to market, I become more convinced daily I made the right choice (as more time goes on and more people receive the vaccine) but it being fully approved will really help increase my peace of mind as well.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Since I'm joining you in August.....

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. Well, optimistic if you're against mitigation:
I suspect mask rules will be significantly relaxed by August.

Everyone is normalizing faster than many expected. It's becoming a rush. WDW brought back The College Program much faster and more urgently than they expected to.

I still don't believe WDW will be anywhere close to "normal" by August: They simply move very slow PLUS they are actively reevaluating what to bring back, what to change forever.
But in terms of Covid restrictions: There will be growing pressure to remove mitigation. Even Broadway shows in NYC are allowed to open in 2 weeks (though it will take longer to actually get them going). Pretty amazing that NYC can have indoor Broadway shows possibly before WDW feels it is safe to have Beauty and the Beast in an outdoor theater!
Indoor masks may stick around a bit longer.

But I'd be shocked if masking rules weren't significantly relaxed outdoors by August. Also expecting much less social distancing. (they are bringing back the College Program and recalling cast members as a clear sign of increasing capacity).
NY is father ahead vaccinating and their numbers are much better currently

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think the situation is as dire as some think it is.
I agree. As I‘ve been saying for a few weeks, this is all part of the plan. We knew that once the initial wave of people died down we would have to switch from a push to a pull and work to draw more people in. The pace has slowed, not stopped. Hope isn’t lost. I think part of the issue is for people who fought to get a vaccine appointment and got it as soon as they possibly could it’s hard to comprehend why the people who are left aren’t getting it faster. I can’t explain it either because I was one of the rushers, but from trying to listen to what people are saying they aren’t necessarily opposed to getting the vaccine, just in no hurry. So we need to make it as easy as possible and as convenient as possible to get the people in. It’s a pull of the remaining people. It’s a grind from this point out.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I agree. As I‘ve been saying for a few weeks, this is all part of the plan. We knew that once the initial wave of people died down we would have to switch from a push to a pull and work to draw more people in. The pace has slowed, not stopped. Hope isn’t lost. I think part of the issue is for people who fought to get a vaccine appointment and got it as soon as they possibly could it’s hard to comprehend why the people who are left aren’t getting it faster. I can’t explain it either because I was one of the rushers, but from trying to listen to what people are saying they aren’t necessarily opposed to getting the vaccine, just in no hurry. So we need to make it as easy as possible and as convenient as possible to get the people in. It’s a pull of the remaining people. It’s a grind from this point out.
Is the pandemic is getting worse in USA in months now or not? Is masks and social distancing will be removed for good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom