Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

That sounds high, though the insurance likely paid much less than that.

HPV is one of the more expensive vaccines....

Most are under $100 per dose:

$105 in administration fees ($35/shot), Tdap $145, Mena $172, HPV $245. I only noticed because they messed up billing and originally put her as an adult so insurance denied. Office visit was another $145. Just Google Schneck medical, it's a common complaint to the point Anthem threatened to drop them from network due to the large difference in cost vs surrounding community hospitals.

Wendy Pleakley

I think you know why that wouldn't work right? It's either masks for all or none at all, there can't be any in between.

Bingo. This would be an enforcement nightmare. It's absurd to expect cast members, when seeing someone without a mask, check their credentials every single time. Then there'd be people griping that they should be exempt as well, regardless of vaccination status. Then there'd be fake vaccination cards.

The current policy is simple and straight forward.

Wendy Pleakley

I'm scared about vaccine resistant strain in the future, is really gonna happen soon?:confused:😭🥺

There are new strains that appear to be more contagious and are impacting people greater (we're seeing younger people get hospitalized that weren't before).

However, that doesn't mean we need to panic. Booster shots will be developed. Vaccines do appear to still be effective against new strains, even if to a lesser degree.

Ultimately, the sooner we can get to herd immunity and if people continue to follow public health guidelines, the more likely we can minimize the prevalence of COVID in general and any new variants.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think that giving free perks as a reward to people will still be legal based upon my reading of the statute.
Jeez I would hope it would be legal. There’s a difference between not really caring if anyone else gets vaccinated (where I think the current thought probably is) and actively fighting against anyone else getting the shot. I would really hope that no level of government anywhere would be actively fighting people getting vaccinated. I guess there could be a perceived political gain in that, but what’s the point of winning an election if you have to sell your soul to do it.

Heppenheimer

My latest calculation for FL shows:
Age% Vaccinated
16-24
20.4%​
25-34
26.1%​
35-44
36.5%​
45-54
44.7%​
55-64
61.1%​
65-74
86.1%​
75-84
85.1%​
85+
71.1%​
Total
41.4%​
with 65+ combined at 83.8%.

The 16-35 crowd especially is getting absolutely crushed by the 55 and up crowd! Maybe if they presented it this way and targeted 35 and under with vaccination campaigns we could get a lot more people vaccinated.
To be fair, the vaccine hasn't been available to the younger crowds for nearly as long, so I'd fully expect them to be behind for awhile.

What might be more illustrative is to look at the uptake for each age group vs. time.

TrainsOfDisney

To be fair, the vaccine hasn't been available to the younger crowds for nearly as long, so I'd fully expect them to be behind for awhile.

What might be more illustrative is to look at the uptake for each age group vs. time.
It was a bit like the demand for Galaxies Edge... “oh you guys need to stay away.. this place is going to be packed. It’s in demand.”

*2 weeks of Crowd-control cast members leaning against the walls of the billion dollar land chatting with each other cause there are no crowds to control.*

“Hey.. we are open! Why aren’t you coming to spend your money with us!?!”

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Jeez I would hope it would be legal. There’s a difference between not really caring if anyone else gets vaccinated (where I think the current thought probably is) and actively fighting against anyone else getting the shot. I would really hope that no level of government anywhere would be actively fighting people getting vaccinated. I guess there could be a perceived political gain in that, but what’s the point of winning an election if you have to sell your soul to do it.

That opens up a way for Disney to get around the law. Raise park ticket prices to $100,000 per day, but give anyone who is vaccinated a discount back down to the current price. ;)

DisneyCane

When today's report comes out I'll do the increase from yesterday to today for each age group as well as what the increase represents in percentage of previously unvaccinated from that group.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current Florida vaccine report -

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 2.17.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 2.17.28 PM.png

correcaminos

Hesitancy by minorities has been trending down. Their concern is 'the government,' and after seeing the White community racing for it, they're seeing it's not some sort of trap.

Amongst youth and young adults, schools and job vaccine requirements will catch them up in the Fall.
I'd say coming from this family and knowing loved ones the government is not as much of an issue as medical as a whole. Distrust of white western medicine is big. Given outcomes for some, it's understandable.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Hopefully indoor masks will be last by months as some states like NJ, MA and NY will start masks will removal by August or September/October

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That opens up a way for Disney to get around the law. Raise park ticket prices to $100,000 per day, but give anyone who is vaccinated a discount back down to the current price. ;)
I have been advocating the same type of plan with masks eventually. Make the park rules everyone wears masks all the time and then offer an incentive to people who got vaccinated that they no longer need to wear a mask. Give everyone who shows proof of vaccination a wrist band to wear at the front gate (think 21+ in an 18 to get in 21 to drink club like PI was back in the day) and if a CM sees a person without a wrist band and without a mask they ask them to mask up. Then you aren’t restricting anyone’s access based on vaccination status, just offering a perk for those who are vaccinated which is a work around on the law. I bet almost everyone visiting WDW this Summer would get the vaccine so they could ditch the mask. Your plan is even easier to implement. My company’s health insurance works that way for smoking. There’s a base rate and if you sign an attestation statement sayimg you don’t smoke you get a discount. Pretty slick plan.

DisneyCane

As promised. Here is a chart for FL for each age range of the percent of the population vaccinated to date, the increase from yesterday's report to today's report and what percentage of the remaining unvaccinated (as of yesterday) that increase represents. I lowered the population of 16-24 by 10% to account for the 15 year old people which were included in my population number.

Age% VaccinatedIncrease 5/3-5/4% of Unvaccinated
16-24
22.9%​
5963​
0.34%​
25-34
26.4%​
7248​
0.35%​
35-44
36.8%​
8141​
0.49%​
45-54
45.0%​
8416​
0.55%​
55-64
61.4%​
7898​
0.70%​
65-74
86.3%​
3928​
1.16%​
75-84
85.3%​
1879​
0.90%​
85+
71.2%​
604​
0.36%​
Total
41.6%​
44077​
0.35%​
65+ combined is at 84%.

For under 35, a much lower percentage of the unvaccinated were vaccinated in one day.

havoc315

So in 1 week... drop of about 50,000 per day.. to just 13,000 per day in the last 2 days, in terms of first dose.
75% reduction in 1 week.

Hopefully the upcoming approval of 12-15 gives a bit of a jolt, though it's a pretty small age bracket. Hopefully some of the new steps taken by the Feds to make walk-ins more available at pharmacies help.
But we are entering the stage where pretty much anyone who wasn't "hesitant" already has their first dose.

52.4% of Floridian adults have had at least 1 dose, or 42.4% of the entire state population.
To get up to 50% of the entire population, you need about 1.5 million additional first doses. At just 12,780 per day... that's 4 months away from hitting 50%. (And of course, it's likely to decline even more).

I know it's not going to happen, but we really need a stronger stick/carrot -- such as strict passports that require vaccination if you want to keep your job, enter a grocery store, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom