News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaklgreen

A lot more people would get vaccinated if it made a difference in their lives. There are people who have been vaccinated for months and they still have to live like they're not vaccinated. If they told everyone today that there were no more masks or restrictions for vaccinated people, then people might think it's worthwhile. But as of now, for people who aren't in an at risk category, what's the incentive? They won't get their life back. Just the promise that if they get the vaccine then maybe eventually they'll get their freedom back... But why would they believe it when they're on day 400+ of two weeks to slow the spread? Add to that the fact that a lot of people have seen people they know suffer from bad side effects and there's not much incentive to get the vaccine. That's a big failure at this point... Disincentivizing the behavior they want.
We really have to spell it out for some people that once we hit heard immunity, that we can go back to "normal"? I am pretty sure that they HAVE been saying that. The problem is that too many people don't believe that Covid was real or that it was not serious. You can't fix stupid. If anything, we should make life harder for those who won't get the vaccine(except those with medical reasons who can not get it).

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
My best friend can't be vaccinated. And no, COVID is NOT like every other virus they have to contend with.
So how do you think the rest of us should contend with your friend's condition? Wear masks forever? I for one totally believe that COVID is going to be around forever, and simply become endemic instead of pandemic, and that we will require boosters every year, just like the flu. So what would you have us do? What is your plan going forward if it never goes completely away?

JD80

Man this thread.

If everyone got the vaccine, then this will be over in the US.
If everyone could just be patient and wear their masks when they are close to a lot of strangers, then this will be over soon.
If everyone would stop and moaning about everyone else, then we can get closer to this being over soon.

People complaining about mask mandates are looking at this from the wrong POV. From an individual's point of view wearing a mask when you've been vaccinated is really unnecessary. I think everyone can agree with that.

However, you need to look at it from a POLICY point of view from someone running a business or school or providing a service are are in charge of public health and safety. From this point of view, you don't know who is vaccinated and who isn't, so you need to create guidelines that you can enforce (because we don't have a vaccine passport) which is wear a mask inside, and have capacity and spacing guidelines for everyone.

With the government providing/enforcing these guidelines, businesses just comply. When the government removes them and you say "Hey if want to mandate masks go for it!" then you are now pitting the public against a business owner. That business owner has to now think outside of supply/demand/good service and now consider public health and safety inside his store. Businesses shouldn't have to do that.

Just like we mandate restaurants have to be clean and execute food safety so you don't get ecoli, you as a consumer know that you should be safe going in to your local deli.

We live in a society guys, stop thinking about yourself and start thinking about others.

Parker in NYC

We really have to spell it out for some people that once we hit heard immunity, that we can go back to "normal"? I am pretty sure that they HAVE been saying that. The problem is that too many people don't believe that Covid was real or that it was not serious. You can't fix stupid. If anything, we should make life harder for those who won't get the vaccine(except those with medical reasons who can not get it).
A year ago, my father said that those folks with no pre-existing conditions should have signed waivers denying them medical attention should they contract COVID.

EDIT: He meant those folks who were COVID deniers.

JD80

So how do you think the rest of us should contend with your friend's condition? Wear masks forever? I for one totally believe that COVID is going to be around forever, and simply become endemic instead of pandemic, and that we will require boosters every year, just like the flu. So what would you have us do? What is your plan going forward if it never goes completely away?

No and don't be obtuse. Wear masks until community spread is very low. Wear masks until the vast number of people are vaccinated. Wear masks until a vast majority of people can be vaccinated (big step with 12-16 year olds). If you want to be more draconian, wear masks until some of the therapeutics are widely available, even the new ones coming from pfizer that look great.

COVID is going to be around forever, but we're going to come up with medicines and treatments so it doesn't kill you, and also doesn't wreck your body if you survive.

It's been over a year, still need to be patient.

Get vaccinated and tell everyone you know to get vaccinated.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
We seem to be in a circular argument for much of the past few days. I think we need to accept that some people have different views on this, and perhaps if you want to carry on a debate with someone, take it to private messaging. I think this thread would be more useful as a way to discuss the issue in relation to WDW.

Ripken10

We seem to be in a circular argument for much of the past few days. I think we need to accept that some people have different views on this, and perhaps if you want to carry on a debate with someone, take it to private messaging. I think this thread would be more useful as a way to discuss the issue in relation to WDW.
I can't seem to like this message more than once. I have tried clearing my cache memory, even refreshing the page.

tpac24

Does anyone know if there have been issues with the no mask rule for pictures? Are people not putting them back on? Taking advantage?

montyz81

If you are talking about wearing a mask at Disney, then how would a CM know you vaccinated and not just an unvaccinated that chooses not to wear a mask?
Nobody seemed to worry about this problem when the flu was walking around for years. That being said, the freedom of choice should be left up to the public, the freedoms this country was founded on. If you are so concerned about getting sick, then wear a mask... wear two... put on a hazmat suit. I do not care. If you are afraid of getting sick then make a choice to stay away or get vaccinated (the new mask). This choice is what we were allowed to do before Covid 19 came to be when the first coronavirus' were around. Now that there is a vaccine and (as of this week or next) all people over 12 can get vaccinated, get it if you feel that will help you. If you choose not to get the vaccine and you want to go to a public welcoming establishment, you are doing what millions of people did every year before Covid 19. take a risk of getting sick. If you are at a higher risk of dying, then you should have the right to choose to stay away or go to the park. The mask issue is now purely political now that a vaccine is out. Masks mandates should all be removed period!

ImperfectPixie

Nobody seemed to worry about this problem when the flu was walking around for years. That being said, the freedom of choice should be left up to the public, the freedoms this country was founded on. If you are so concerned about getting sick, then wear a mask... wear two... put on a hazmat suit. I do not care. If you are afraid of getting sick then make a choice to stay away or get vaccinated (the new mask). This choice is what we were allowed to do before Covid 19 came to be when the first coronavirus' were around. Now that there is a vaccine and (as of this week or next) all people over 12 can get vaccinated, get it if you feel that will help you. If you choose not to get the vaccine and you want to go to a public welcoming establishment, you are doing what millions of people did every year before Covid 19. take a risk of getting sick. If you are at a higher risk of dying, then you should have the right to choose to stay away or go to the park. The mask issue is now purely political now that a vaccine is out. Masks mandates should all be removed period!
No. The vulnerable and those who have done everything right shouldn't be held hostage by those who continue to say that covid is no big deal, fighting against masks, and refusing to vaccinate.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Wow, this thread has been driven deep into a ditch. Is there any way possible to get it back on track to just discuss actual changes Disney makes to the mask policy instead of yet another shouting match about each other’s belief about mask wearing?

Disney is going to change their policy when they feel they can safely do so without creating a risk to guests and of lawsuits. And they’ll tell us they are changing when they are ready to, not on somebody on the Internet’s demanded schedule.

It’s the same as it has been for 9+ months now. If you do not like their requirements (and you are entitled to that), take your money and spend it somewhere else. .If you go to WDW knowing what the rules still are, you do not have any right to complain or whine, ignore the rules because you think they don’t apply to you, or push back against cast members who are enforcing a policy that you agreed to by planning your trip and walking through the gates.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

This country was once a place where people were less selfish and cared about others. Choices about how you deal with an infectious diseases don't only impact you they impact others. The primary function of masks is to reduce the chance of an infected person passing the virus to others. The first coronavirus had pretty limited spread, in big part because you weren't really infectious until you were really sick. COVID-19 is totally different because it can easily spread from people who are not showing symptoms. No, the mask issue is not purely political, it has a legitimate public health purpose. In some areas vaccines have only just opened up to everyone. Give people a few weeks to get it, and 6 more weeks for full vaccination. It's also going to take time to get younger people vaccinated. Right now it feels like we are in WWII declaring victory the morning after D-Day.

Last edited:

Ripken10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom