News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaklgreen

The people who are walking at the resorts are nowhere near each other. SSR is huge - you can walk for quite a long time without encountering someone. Most have a mask and pull it up when they pass each other. As in life, there are some people who don’t comply. I used to let them get to me, but then it occurred to me that I was spending precious time being angry and disappointed.

This is what we experienced at our stay at SSR last month. People who were outside, and away from other, did not have their masks on. But most would pull them up as you passed someone. I see nothing wrong with that at all, especially how extremely low the chance is of infecting someone in this situation. I think that is how it should be. If you are at the resorts, outside and away from other's, that you should not have to wear a mask. We need to use a bit of common sense.

Last edited:

tpac24

This is what we experienced at our stay at SSR last month. People who were outside, and away from other's, did not have their masks on. But most would pull them up as you passed someone. I see nothing wrong with that at all, especially how extremely low the chance is of infecting someone in this situation. I think that is how it should be. If you are at the resorts, outside and away from other's, that you should not have to wear a mask. We need to use a bit of common sense.
I was at Yacht club beginning of April and saw the same exact thing. Many families also shared elevators when the lines were long. I saw only one family decline sharing and they weren't tarred and feathered for it nor were the people who were sharing the space. People generally minded their own business and weren't playing covid police.

ImperfectPixie

I really just wish that instead of focusing so much attention on arguments over mask compliance, people would advocate and focus on getting vaccinated so that the masks become irrelevant.
How can we convince those who have fallen for misinformation and/or politicization that they need to get their shots? That's the big tough one.

For the record, I can't wait for my boys to be vaccinated so none of us need to wear masks anymore. I have sinus issues and asthma and the masks make me miserable because they exacerbate both.

FormerMember

I really just wish that instead of focusing so much attention on arguments over mask compliance, people would advocate and focus on getting vaccinated so that the masks become irrelevant.
They are tied together. When Public Health insists on being dishonest about one thing, they erode trust in everything.

Outdoor transmission is essentially zero. Telling people to #maskup outdoors is either...
A. Intentionally misleading
B. Incredibly ignorant.

Neither is good when you want folks to trust you about vaccine safety, for example.

ImperfectPixie

They are tied together. When Public Health insists on being dishonest about one thing, they erode trust in everything.

Outdoor transmission is essentially zero. Telling people to #maskup outdoors is either...
A. Intentionally misleading
B. Incredibly ignorant.

Neither is good when you want folks to trust you about vaccine safety, for example.
Please, when making statements like this be more specific.

Masks outdoors are still necessary in crowded situations. Being outside isn't enough protection if someone is standing two feet away from you and sneezes in your face.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
How can we convince those who have fallen for misinformation and/or politicization that they need to get their shots? That's the big tough one.
By stop making generalized comments like that.

It’s really not that tough, but for some reason…. Everything has to be made a red vs blue dispute. Insulting and demeaning others for their choices and their desire to return to normal certainly doesn’t help. Mandating draconian edicts also doesn’t help. Maybe offering an incentivized approach with uniform and consistent messaging would help. Maybe leaders who are fully vaccinated and immune shouldn’t put on theatrics wearing 4 masks, because if it is safe and effective why would any of that be necessary?

Fear and Doom and Gloom and Despair are terrible motivators for progress, but excellent methods to ensure compliance.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

By stop making generalized comments like that.

It’s really not that tough, but for some reason…. Everything has to me made a red vs blue dispute. Insulting and demeaning others for their choices and their desire to return to normal certainly doesn’t help. Mandating draconian edicts also doesn’t help. Maybe offering an incentivized approach with uniform and consistent messaging would help. Maybe leaders who are fully vaccinated and immune shouldn’t put on theatrics wearing 4 masks, because if it is safe and effective why would any of that be necessary?

Fear and Doom and Gloom and Despair are terrible motivators for progress, but excellent methods ensurers of compliance.
It's not a generalized comment. There's a large portion of the population that believes what they see on Facebook or what politicians and/or talk show hosts say more than they trust medical professionals. To deny that, is to deny the reality of what we're up against. Also, I didn't insult anyone - I just stated a fact. JEBUS.

tpac24

Please, when making statements like this be more specific.

Masks outdoors are still necessary in crowded situations. Being outside isn't enough protection if someone is standing two feet away from you and sneezes in your face.

It's not a generalized comment. There's a large portion of the population that believes what they see on Facebook or what politicians and/or talk show hosts say more than they trust medical professionals. To deny that, is to deny the reality of what we're up against. Also, I didn't insult anyone - I just stated a fact. JEBUS.
I will start with the be more specific the CDC says mask outside aren't necessary if vaccinated yet our wonderful leader still wears his and I could go on with the messaging inconsistencies. Also anti vaxxers were here long before the the 2016 election cycle and for every doctor that says this vaccine is needed or safe there is one saying maybe not. So who exactly gets to be the authority on this? IMOP not the ones with political motives like Fauci who has been nothing but inconsistent and should be replaced. My husband and I are both vaccinated for covid but our children are not and honestly we are in no hurry to have them take the shot . I need more long term studies and their pediatrician agrees.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
We have a trip planned for next week and if the mask mandate goes away by then, I want the ability to request a full refund. They will need to give a fair warning beforehand so people can plan accordingly.

This brings up a good point. There are people who will not go to Disney while masks are still mandated, but there are also people like you who won't go at this point if they aren't mandated. The question is, which group is bigger?

Tamandua

For the record, I can't wait for my boys to be vaccinated so none of us need to wear masks anymore. I have sinus issues and asthma and the masks make me miserable because they exacerbate both.
A lot more people would get vaccinated if it made a difference in their lives. There are people who have been vaccinated for months and they still have to live like they're not vaccinated. If they told everyone today that there were no more masks or restrictions for vaccinated people, then people might think it's worthwhile. But as of now, for people who aren't in an at risk category, what's the incentive? They won't get their life back. Just the promise that if they get the vaccine then maybe eventually they'll get their freedom back... But why would they believe it when they're on day 400+ of two weeks to slow the spread? Add to that the fact that a lot of people have seen people they know suffer from bad side effects and there's not much incentive to get the vaccine. That's a big failure at this point... Disincentivizing the behavior they want.

ImperfectPixie

A lot more people would get vaccinated if it made a difference in their lives. There are people who have been vaccinated for months and they still have to live like they're not vaccinated. If they told everyone today that there were no more masks or restrictions for vaccinated people, then people might think it's worthwhile. But as of now, for people who aren't in an at risk category, what's the incentive? They won't get their life back. Just the promise that if they get the vaccine then maybe eventually they'll get their freedom back... But why would they believe it when they're on day 400+ of two weeks to slow the spread? Add to that the fact that a lot of people have seen people they know suffer from bad side effects and there's not much incentive to get the vaccine. That's a big failure at this point... Disincentivizing the behavior they want.
I understand that - but unless we're willing to provide proof of vaccination, we can't just say "oh, you're vaccinated, okay, no more masks" because there are a significant number of people who will lie just to avoid wearing a mask. (Like those who pull it down when they think no one's looking or who pretend to not understand the proper way to wear a mask, etc.)

We can't have it both ways. It's either masks until enough people are vaccinated, or vaccine passports.

This is yet another instance in which the bad apples are making life difficult for everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom