Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

The Aracuan Bird

They shouldn't need to, but that's how much they spend. Little Mermaid cost $100 million and it's pretty terrible.
Mermaid also has an elaborate queue, animatronics, massive show buildings. It’s easy to see how they went over budget, even if the final product doesn’t justify it.

They could easily build lower tech smaller scale dark rides that are much cheaper. With limitations, they could probably create more cohesive experiences as well.

Disney Maddux

They could always bring back Extra-TERRORestial... Just saying...

Please, let me believe. I'm a huge HHN fan and thrill seeker, and man how badly I've always wanted to go back and try Alien Encounter. Pls Disney

lazyboy97o

Mermaid also has an elaborate queue, animatronics, massive show buildings. It’s easy to see how they went over budget, even if the final product doesn’t justify it.

They could easily build lower tech smaller scale dark rides that are much cheaper. With limitations, they could probably create more cohesive experiences as well.
Where are the elaborate queue, animatronics and massive show buildings in Pixar Pier?

J4546

hey hey hey little mermaid isnt terrible. its not great either, but its a solid dark ride and it also never had a long wait time... Id give it a C

that being said, i wish theyd get little mermaid out of pixar pier and retheme that ride to Coco

Brer Panther

Mermaid is one of the only “fairy tale dark rides” to have actual animatronics as opposed to just static figures with one or two moving parts.
Although it is worth noting that there are still plenty of static figures with one or two moving parts in the ride. Mainly during the "Under the Sea" sequence.

The Aracuan Bird

Although it is worth noting that there are still plenty of static figures with one or two moving parts in the ride. Mainly during the "Under the Sea" sequence.
Sure. But there are also plenty of expensive animatronics.
I was asking about Pixar Pier which also cost over $100 million.
Beats me. I’m sure the pointless redos of the carnival rides, the signs, the chicken hut, and the modifications to the coaster add up, but I wouldn’t have guessed it would add up to $100 million. Does anyone know how much it would cost to animate a preshow?

doctornick

Is this the consensus view? I always thought Little Mermaid was pretty solid, and our kids love it. Ursula is definitely a highlight.

Opinions are varied. I think most people think it is "disappointing" more than "bad" - like it could have been better, especially (as noted) given the amount of money it cost to build.

At least for the MK, though, I think it serves a good role of being a high capacity people eater but not star attraction in Fantasyland which needed it. To me, it's better quality than the smaller older dark rides, though not as "quaint". The AAs aren't anything special, but they are better than the cardboard flats of smaller rides and the music and scenes are enjoyable enough. But it really suffers from being a very paint by the numbers "book report" of the movie and also has a rushed ending. In MK, it also has a very elaborate queue that seems to indicate that the ride will be bigger/better than it is, so it creates more of a setup to be let down.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Opinions are varied. I think most people thing it is "disappointing" more than "bad" - like it could have been better, especially (as noted) given the amount of money it cost to build.

At least for the MK, though, I think it serves a good role of being a high capacity people eater but not star attraction in Fantasyland which needed it. To me, it's better quality than the smaller older dark rides, though not as "quaint". The AAs aren't anything special, but they are better than the cardboard flats of smaller rides and the music and scenes are enjoyable enough. But it really suffers from being a very paint by the numbers "book report" of the movie and also has a rushed ending. In MK, it also has a very elaborate queue that seems to indicate that the ride will be bigger/better than it is, so it creates more of a setup to be let down.

The Under the Sea scene is pretty bad. It's supposed to be the centerpiece of the ride and it's got a lot of stationary plastic fish glued to the walls, spinning in a circle, or just kind of bobbing up and down. Even the Ariel animatronic doesn't look very good or move especially well.

Overall, though, disappointing is probably the better description. It's not absolutely terrible, but between the queue and the amount of money they spent on it, the ride should be far better. There are way too many scenes that look like they were done for cheap which is baffling considering the cost.

Stupido

There's something to be said about an attraction that's queue is it's biggest draw. However, that Ursula animatronic is incredibly impressive, and if you go in with proper expectations, the ride can still be a good time. It definitely can be improved on though.

Bocabear

Mermaid is not bad at all, just doesn't hit the E ticket that people were really hoping for. It is an E ticket Queue and a C ticket ride.
The biggest problem is really the closeness of the set pieces to the track... There is a lack of staging that causes you to pass the figures too quickly making it feel less impressive. The ride would be much better with more of an ending instead of a screen of ursula dying and then a wedding set... But biggest problem is the narrow window of each setting. It is way too compressed.

Dranth

They could always bring back Extra-TERRORestial... Just saying...
Exactly this! If they NEED to slap an IP in there, go back to the original where Eisner wanted to put in an actual Alien. They own the franchise now. I loved that ride and let's be honest, Tomorrowland is missing a nice air-conditioned space that makes kids cry and gives them nightmares because parents can’t read.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom