Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarperRose

May I suggest that they are “advised “ to watch a news report from India for 10 minutes. Maybe that would help explain the need for everyone (who is able) to get the vaccine as soon as possible. It may also go some way to increasing understanding of why some people, me included, favour vaccine passports- not as a means of excluding the non vaccinated- but as a means of remaining within a safer community. I realise that the last sentence is perhaps splitting hairs but I view it as a positive idea rather than as a punitive measure.
I want vaccine passports to exclude the non-vaccinated. Your (non) actions have consequences.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I am as far from a DeSantis supporter as they come, and have been a lifelong registered Democrat and am a DNC donor, but I don't disagree with him. The vaccines are available now to anyone that wants one. If you aren't yet vaccinated, you can be. If you choose not to, it's your choice. And if you are, it's time to get back to normal.

I support mitigation/distancing policies for another month or two at places like theme parks, stadiums, etc. But if we're still doing this come July/August/September, it's not fair to those of us that have done our part to help ourselves and others by getting vaccinated.
I, too, am all for 'getting back to normal' now that we have the vaccines.

However, having less than half of all people fully vaccinated is *not* "we have the vaccines." That's only half done.

Kevin_W

I am as far from a DeSantis supporter as they come, and have been a lifelong registered Democrat and am a DNC donor, but I don't disagree with him. The vaccines are available now to anyone that wants one. If you aren't yet vaccinated, you can be. If you choose not to, it's your choice. And if you are, it's time to get back to normal.

I support mitigation/distancing policies for another month or two at places like theme parks, stadiums, etc. But if we're still doing this come July/August/September, it's not fair to those of us that have done our part to help ourselves and others by getting vaccinated.

I tend to agree with you, I think. Also, as has been pointed out - look at spring break crowds and many other stories form the past months. Have the restrictions really been affecting the whole population? I think those that aren't getting vaccinated already weren't listening to the restrictions. So this really only changes things for those that are vaccinated for the most part.

(Admittedly, this ignores children and those few who have other conditions that prevent a vaccine.)

correcaminos

9/11 had a clear enemy to unite against. An unseeable virus is a much harder foe.

And it's much easier to "unite" against the facist/incompetent/pick-your-adjective politician instead.
9/11 was also not as universally uniting as some people think. The backlash against Arabs and Muslims as a whole was big. Not all wanted to go to war (pacifists) and were called Anti-American. We see what we want to see with unity depending on perspective.

disneygeek90

I fear at WDW, cast members will have to deal with an increasing numbers of guests trying to skip masks. "The governor said the mask rules are all cancelled!"
To be fair, the governor never said masks were required. Everyone accepts the "covid terms" when booking a park reservation. The whiny claims that they didn't know won't matter. If they don't want to comply, Disney can just remove them.

disneygeek90

I think what he could have done differently is similar to what Orange county is trying (tried?) to impose. Anyone on the fence now likely will just not get the vaccine. If he were smart, he could have used it as a bargaining chip. Say, if Florida gets to 60%, 65% etc then all restrictions are lifted. I think that would be more reasonable, and would maybe push those putting it off or on the fence to show up a little sooner.

Archie123

I honestly don’t think we ever reach those people. They won’t take the vaccine because it would be admitting they were wrong and Covid is a real threat. They are more concerned with saving face on Facebook then getting out of the pandemic. Some even enjoy the attention from flaunting their non-vaccinated status. I do think we can reach some of the other people that are just apathetic and not actively resisting. That’s where the real hope comes in. Too many people have written off all the remaining unvaccinated adults as radical or seeking to resist but a large portion just don’t care and those are the people we can get. Not by threatening them but by educating, encouraging and even offering Incentives. That’s our best hope.

Unfortunately this was politicized from the beginning and there are a lot of people who still would rather listen to some politicians then the scientists and true experts. No amount of threatening or shaming or anything else will get them to get vaccinated until they want to. If they every do.

Stevek

In theory this makes sense but what about kids? Do we just let them be exposed by the adults who drop protocols? That doesn’t seem to make sense to me
That's the tough part but also kids are the least likely to have significant effects from the virus. There have been 277 deaths in the US for age 0-17 years since 1/1/20 (179 deaths due to influenza during that same time period). As someone else stated above, now that everyone of age has access to the vaccine, you have to open up and know that it's an assumed risk should you choose not to get the vaccine. We are at the point where we need to continue to open up the economy and get back to some sense of normalcy. If there is a concern about anyone else being at risk, like a younger child, parents will need to make the choice as if to go or not go places.

source: https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In theory this makes sense but what about kids? Do we just let them be exposed by the adults who drop protocols? That doesn’t seem to make sense to me

once we have vaccine availability for kids...then I’m all for darwin.

but that’s a question of timing. One of mine had the Pfizer as part of the clinical trial...the other is just below the age cut line but only for a few more months.

so I’m gonna be all “Galapagos” by the fall if things go according to plan

lazyboy97o

I think what he could have done differently is similar to what Orange county is trying (tried?) to impose. Anyone on the fence now likely will just not get the vaccine. If he were smart, he could have used it as a bargaining chip. Say, if Florida gets to 60%, 65% etc then all restrictions are lifted. I think that would be more reasonable, and would maybe push those putting it off or on the fence to show up a little sooner.
But that isn’t wanted. He is deliberately trying to garner support with those who do not want the vaccine. This is why vaccine passports have been banned and discrimination against those are are vaccinated was knowingly and intentionally allowed to remain legal.

twebber55

There are 2 overlapping factors at play in driving down cases:
Vaccinations AND seasonality.

Recall that cases have plummeted before, only to rise again later.

There is evidence that Covid "peaks" follow flu seasons and other factors.

Alabama's first spike went from June 2020 to August 2020, and then cases plummeted. Then a second spike hit in October.

So I'd watch the "deep South" in 6 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see cases start to rise a bit, if there isn't a higher level of vaccination. Hopefully there is enough vaccination to avoid a full big spike, but I really wouldn't be surprised to see an uptick.
yeah the south will get a rise but probably not like last year do to Vaccines

MrMcDuck

DeSantis makes me dislike him more every day. Vaccines take some time to work and a huge % have yet to receive any vaccine. The fact that vaccines are now widely available to all (which technically only became a thing last Thursday when the state lifted the proof of residency requirement thus allowing the illegal immigrants to get vaccinated) doesn't mean that we are all 'safe'. I agree with those that say he should have used the idea of cancelling local orders as an incentive to get more people to get the shot, but that's not the way he operates. The guy is a political beast that will sacrifice any number of lives if it gets him ahead. He doesn't actually care about Floridians.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I tend to agree with you, I think. Also, as has been pointed out - look at spring break crowds and many other stories form the past months. Have the restrictions really been affecting the whole population? I think those that aren't getting vaccinated already weren't listening to the restrictions. So this really only changes things for those that are vaccinated for the most part.

(Admittedly, this ignores children and those few who have other conditions that prevent a vaccine.)

I’m for rewarding the intelligent and disenfranchising the stupids...

what is cutely and historically known as “common sense”

florida tends to straddle that fence so religiously that they can taste the fence post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom