Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I'm re-posting the Vaccine Willingness map from The NY Times with today's heat map for the virus for comparison. I can honestly see why some people in some areas are waiting. I'm not saying they should, but I don't think they are irrational. For starters, it can still be an effort to get the vaccine if you aren't in an urban area and have major control of your schedule. There are some who are just plan Anti-Vax-holes, but I think the vast majority are persuadable if they can see what it's important for them. Every wall should be plastered with a reason to be vaccinated. Every cultural icon should be harnessed. If you want massive vaccinations, you basically need to go at it like the WW2 "Loose Lips Sink Ships" and "Buy War Bonds" campaigns.

View attachment 554239

View attachment 554240
Is NJ and NYC will get back to normal and start to lose masks and social distancing by late summer or fall as they will reach herd immunity? @ImperfectPixie

GimpYancIent

We need to ramp up the fear, and make it so those who choose to continue to deny COVID is a threat need to be vaccinated to do the things they want. I'm tired of uneducated bullies winning this thing.
It's the uneducated bullies that are ramping up the fear, yeah!, those self appointed, self proclaiming, self anointed, loud people that truly are unable to get the facts right and are seeking control and power through coercion. The fear concept had its day people are smartening up to the tactic. I suggest continuing to make vaccination accessible without appointments and stop making the very rare negative reaction to a vaccination major news. The rare negative reactions to vaccinations have occurred since vaccinations for various diseases were developed yet all of a sudden because of COVID they are a major news story. There are no 100% magic bullets. This whole thing has become surreal.

ImperfectPixie

I've got it.

Let's put hackers to good use. Anyone who hasn't been vaccinated yet who is medically able will get slammed with phone calls, texts, and e-mails until they've gotten at least their first shot. We can NAG them into getting vaccinated!

In all seriousness though...we need to make it somehow "painful" to not be vaccinated.

DisneyCane

If there is one lesson I learned over the past year its that I have no idea where to get credible news from anymore.
Honestly, the best way is to get raw data and analyze yourself. For stories about what people said, seek out the transcript so that the author of an article can't use selective quoting and taking things out of context.

We live in the "information age." It's not like 1930 when you either needed to read a newspaper article or go through an ordeal (and a long journey) to get a transcript from a records depository.

For most things that articles are written about, you can find the source material in its entirety in a few minutes at most.

CosmicRays

I think we have a chance to still get this more under control...but we could still have effects that have to be handled. I don’t think we will have as many issues as 2020...but may not be doing enough to get back to 2019
As much as the phrase has worn out its welcome, "The new normal" is here to stay in some form or another. I think we will be looking back at 2019 more fondly than we realize.

ImperfectPixie

Honestly, the best way is to get raw data and analyze yourself. For stories about what people said, seek out the transcript so that the author of an article can't use selective quoting and taking things out of context.

We live in the "information age." It's not like 1930 when you either needed to read a newspaper article or go through an ordeal (and a long journey) to get a transcript from a records depository.

For most things that articles are written about, you can find the source material in its entirety in a few minutes at most.
Yep. And a GOOD media outlet will provide links to the source material when it's able to.

techgeek

On Disney's return to normalcy --
They announced summer discounts, and they are rather weak. There isn't a whole lot of on-site availability. Demand appears very strong.
Which begs the question, if demand is so strong, why not open more hotels? Half the mod and value hotels are still closed, AKL is still closed.
Clearly, summer won't have the same capacity limits that we see today.

Tom Bricker wrote up the discounts here:

In the comments, he reports that it is his understanding that the central Florida labor shortage is really restricting Disney's ability to expand operations. As I've been saying for a while, I expect Disney's "re-opening" is being slowed by decisions and factors that are not directly related to Covid restrictions.

From day one of the shutdown the message from the top down has been that they would return to operations with a priority to profitability. Clearly, this decision was always going to be at a sacrifice to agility in being able to respond to rapidly changing and unpredictable market conditions. And here we are... and everyone is shocked that Disney can’t turn it all back on again with 30 days notice. Slow and steady was always the plan.

Is Disney now hiring part time / casual staff? Have there been any hints about college program or international program ramping back up? You can’t solve a WDW labor problem (and by extension a capacity problem) without relying heavily on those three labor segments.

Joesixtoe

Regardless of your political ideals, the trust in government and media are way down. I do wish we all could come together like we did for 911 and fight this. However we must be truly honest with ourselves and how we as a society are much more divided than I've personally ever seen and lack trust in their opposing political governments. So to say well they are just anti-vaxxers and all sorts of other names in my opinion doesn't help. At the place I work at where we have covid patients(although drastically going down thank God), I would say probably half has taken the shot. We work in direct contact, have seen the effects of this virus, yet probably only half got it. Why? Probably cause there are to many questions unanswered.

corsairk09

Not necessarily "refusal" but the fact is that the people who aren't taking the vaccine are people under 40 and the younger the fewer taking it.

It doesn't really matter if somebody is "refusing" the vaccine for whatever reason or just not taking it even though they aren't "refusing." The result is the same that there are doses not going into arms.

Honestly the young people are the more frustrating ones. People refusing based on whatever beliefs they hold at least have some level of reasoning. Young people are pretty much not getting vaccinated because they don't feel like doing it right now.
How much do you think it is the fact that you have to get two shots and a minimum of 8 weeks to be considered fully vaccinated? I personally think that is why the J&J thing was so detrimental. I suspect there is a huge portion of the population who would be willing to get the one shot as opposed to the 2 shots + 2 months wait.

havoc315

From day one of the shutdown the message from the top down has been that they would return to operations with a priority to profitability. Clearly, this decision was always going to be at a sacrifice to agility in being able to respond to rapidly changing and unpredictable market conditions. And here we are... and everyone is shocked that Disney can’t turn it all back on again with 30 days notice. Slow and steady was always the plan.

Is Disney now hiring part time / casual staff? Have there been any hints about college program or international program ramping back up? You can’t solve a WDW labor problem (and by extension a capacity problem) without relying heavily on those three labor segments.

Not sure if they are taking applications yet, but there was talk of bringing back the College Program at the end of the year.
They have listed opening for part-time staff but I’ve heard they aren’t getting a whole lot of applicants.
Patina is offering significant cash bonuses as they are having dire trouble filling the staff of the Disney restaurants they operate. (Rumor that the lack of available staff is a big factor in delaying Space 220 from opening)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There’s something going on in Michigan that we need to get Sherlock on....
Ok, then, I'm here!

Michigan has had a recent spike, just like NJ, NY, and PA did. Those three states were heading to what Michigan looks like, but, by having a high vaccination rate, were able to bend the curve before it got as bad as Michigan.

As I've posted recently, it seems that when you get to 40% of adults vaccinated, the spike stops growing; and at 50%, it definitively goes down.

Now that Michigan has hit the magical 50% of adults (16+) vaccinated its cases are plummeting, just like for the tristate area.

Michigan...
1620052204781.png

That 43% of first dose for all residents is equivalent to 53.5% of adults (16+).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom