Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incomudro

Very good article.
I understand some of the positions, that some of the people in that story hold.
They (most of them) are not irrational, and if you add in the freedom to do what they want with their own bodies - they make a decent argument.
Their body, their choice.
Where I differ from them, and what I think is important to stress is herd immunity.
The more of us that get vaccinated, and the sooner we do it - the quicker mitigation methods will be dropped.
Avoiding the vaccine keeps covid around longer, and that makes things worse for everyone.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I hear ya there. The flu shot knocked me on my butt last year...I'm praying my 2nd dose doesn't do that.

but a day later you were fine...and you could go to the mall and shop without a face diaper and see your mom on Christmas Eve and everythjng

Just got my second dose. Hoping for no side effects

You’ll be fine...at least as much as you usually are 😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, you are preaching to the choir here. The doom and gloom crowd absolutely loves to point out that we can’t or won’t reach herd immunity now even though nobody anywhere actually knows what level of immunity is really needed. It’s great click bait to say that and then quote an “expert”. The headline is the clickbait but when you read further what’s buried in there is the quote from Fauci that people seem to forget.

“People were getting confused and thinking you’re never going to get the infections down until you reach this mystical level of herd immunity, whatever that number is,” he said. “That’s why we stopped using herd immunity in the classic sense,” he added. “I’m saying: Forget that for a second. You vaccinate enough people, the infections are going to go down.”

So as I keep pointing out, we don’t need to wait for full herd immunity to see cases drop and to roll back mitigation efforts. The 7 day daily average in the US is the lowest it has been since the first week of October. We are still above the levels we hit in early Fall, but the cases are falling now in the majority of states. The curve is turning down and as we get more people vaccinated that should continue.

the “doom and gloom” is a counter to outright stupidity/defiance.

I’m good dropping both and doing puff pieces again...but one side of that equation feeds of straight economic rage and never shuts the hell up.

SorcererMC

Yeah, you are preaching to the choir here. The doom and gloom crowd absolutely loves to point out that we can’t or won’t reach herd immunity now even though nobody anywhere actually knows what level of immunity is really needed. It’s great click bait to say that and then quote an “expert”. The headline is the clickbait but when you read further what’s buried in there is the quote from Fauci that people seem to forget.

“People were getting confused and thinking you’re never going to get the infections down until you reach this mystical level of herd immunity, whatever that number is,” he said. “That’s why we stopped using herd immunity in the classic sense,” he added. “I’m saying: Forget that for a second. You vaccinate enough people, the infections are going to go down.”

So as I keep pointing out, we don’t need to wait for full herd immunity to see cases drop and to roll back mitigation efforts. The 7 day daily average in the US is the lowest it has been since the first week of October. We are still above the levels we hit in early Fall, but the cases are falling now in the majority of states. The curve is turning down and as we get more people vaccinated that should continue.
Exactly. There's a difference between saying 'we don't know exactly what the herd immunity threshold is' and 'it's never going to happen'. Dear US media, get politics reporters off of the science beat and write an accurate headline for once.

havoc315

1620049544887.png

Israel vaccination rates. This is what’s getting them to herd immunity.
Over 80% for 40+.
Except teens, all adult age brackets are 75%+.

ImperfectPixie

Exactly. There's a difference between saying 'we don't know exactly what the herd immunity threshold is' and 'it's never going to happen'. Dear US media, get politics reporters off of the science beat and write an accurate headline for once.
I'm actually wondering if the Times article was meant to scare the vaccine-hesitant to go out and get their dang shots.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Very good article.
They (most of them) are not irrational, and if you add in the freedom to do what they want with their own bodies - they make a decent argument.
Where I differ from them, and what I think is important to stress is herd immunity.
The more of us that get vaccinated, and the sooner we do it - the quicker mitigation methods will be dropped.
Avoiding the vaccine keeps covid around longer, and that makes things worse for everyone.
The bold part is all that should matter. These same people who claimed they weren’t afraid of a virus and said we had to drop all restrictions for the sake of the economy and the poor workers who are “killing themselves” because they are out of work are now afraid of a vaccine and are the primary reason the economy is still on partial pause. So they have been exposed completely as frauds. Any person who uttered the word economy in any context as a reason to drop covid restrictions all along and then refuses to get the vaccine is a complete fraud.

carolina_yankee

This is an interesting map on vaccine willingness by county from The NY Times article that's been posted. I don't read the article as doom and gloom, just realistic, and gets into why even the concept of herd immunity isn't all that helpful for a geographically diverse country and a globalized world.

Vaccine Willingness Map.png

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

you’re off base here...respectfully.

is this tact good? No.

but we’ve had to idiot proof this since day 1. Evidence piles up every single day. There’s no argument. Too much at stake and the public has not been proven to handle it.

if there’s gonna be a ramp up of “fear” to achieve the goal...it probably is warranted. It has at least as good a chance of succeeding as “trust”.

Heppenheimer

Very good article.
What they're missing, however, is that the variants in circulation now are not last spring's COVID. We've seen a large upswing in hospitalized patients under the age of 50, both in percentages and absolute numbers.

Also, as a physician, I can tell you that many people under the age of 40 these days have an exaggerated sense of their own relative health. Their undiagnosed hypertension, pre- (or even overt) diabetes, smoking and/or drinking habits haven't caused any severe symptoms yet, so they think they don't need any medical care... until they do.

GimpYancIent

The bold part is all that should matter. These same people who claimed they weren’t afraid of a virus and said we had to drop all restrictions for the sake of the economy and the poor workers who are “killing themselves” because they are out of work are now afraid of a vaccine and are the primary reason the economy is still on partial pause. So they have been exposed completely as frauds. Any person who uttered the word economy in any context as a reason to drop covid restrictions all along and then refuses to get the vaccine is a complete fraud.
None of this is being helpful.

ImperfectPixie

you’re off base here...respectfully.

is this tact good? No.

but we’ve had to idiot proof this since day 1. Evidence piles up every single day. There’s no argument. Too much at stake and the public has not been proven to handle it.

if there’s gonna be a ramp up of “fear” to achieve the goal...it probably is warranted. It has at least as good a chance of succeeding as “trust”.
We need to ramp up the fear, and make it so those who choose to continue to deny COVID is a threat need to be vaccinated to do the things they want. I'm tired of uneducated bullies winning this thing.

havoc315

Agreed. This segment of the population had constantly changing rationales.
But at the core, it was a conspiracy theory that “Covid is a hoax.” (Or a more mild “Covid is greatly exaggerated by the liberal elites).
Since Covid is a hoax/exaggerated, we never needed the restrictions. Since it is a hoax/exaggerated, we don’t need dang vaccines. Both the restrictions and vaccines are some sort of elitist globalist plot to take away their freedom.
That’s really the logic of a significant segment of the people not getting vaccines.

DisneyCane

not looking good. People are refusing to take it...because of political stupidity and the ramblings of buffoons.

it’s a fact...not a “debate”
Not necessarily "refusal" but the fact is that the people who aren't taking the vaccine are people under 40 and the younger the fewer taking it.

It doesn't really matter if somebody is "refusing" the vaccine for whatever reason or just not taking it even though they aren't "refusing." The result is the same that there are doses not going into arms.

Honestly the young people are the more frustrating ones. People refusing based on whatever beliefs they hold at least have some level of reasoning. Young people are pretty much not getting vaccinated because they don't feel like doing it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom