Love Bugs!

Wendylet

So we are planning to visit WDW in May 2022. I want the real skinny on the love bug situation. We have a 7 year old who I fear may be terrified of them as she is averse to bugs in general. We want to prepare her but fear actually scaring her more than anything. Currently we are hoping for May 7-21 but could move the dates a bit if the beginning or end of the month would be better. So how bad might it be really? Will they be swarming us? At the pools or water parks? What should we expect and how would you explain this to a squeamish young girl?

littleroo

I was just there in mid April but usually go the end of May and I have never seen one. My daughter is 5 and going through this insane, fear of bugs/spiders right now! (Literally driving us crazy!) We were in Orlando for 12 days and she never had one episode!

Upvote 0

John park hopper

We were there in May 2017 and May 2019 and never saw any --I 'd rather have love bugs over mosquitos any day. Over the years they have now shown up in coastal SC they are annoying but that's about it.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
We were there in May 2017 and May 2019 and never saw any --I 'd rather have love bugs over mosquitos any day. Over the years they have now shown up in coastal SC they are annoying but that's about it.
That’s very interesting. I have been reading a few blogs and a lot of people commented May 2019 was the worst they have ever seen! Nice to hear someone was there and didnt experience that. I am hoping for the same experience!

Upvote 0

Rob562

While they have a "season", the dates of love bug season tend to vary widely from year to year based on the weather. There's something that triggers them to emerge, something like a stretch of wet weather followed by a stretch of dry weather. Or maybe it was dry followed by wet. Or maybe my Floridian friend was pulling my leg...

-Rob

Upvote 0
Usually show up May and Sept yearly. We've seen them both months many times and May 2019 was the worst. We were there late April through early May if that helps. Other trips were in September (after Labor Day and then Mid to later in the Month). I hate bugs, but was fine with them, just an annoyance, but I'm an adult.

If she's really that scared of them I'd be planning a trip in any month but May or Sept.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ksearcy

So we are planning to visit WDW in May 2022. I want the real skinny on the love bug situation. We have a 7 year old who I fear may be terrified of them as she is averse to bugs in general. We want to prepare her but fear actually scaring her more than anything. Currently we are hoping for May 7-21 but could move the dates a bit if the beginning or end of the month would be better. So how bad might it be really? Will they be swarming us? At the pools or water parks? What should we expect and how would you explain this to a squeamish young girl?
I live within about a mile of Magic Kingdom. So far, I have seen very few...no squashed bugs on my car front end or windshield, either. I'm hoping for the best!

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
I live within about a mile of Magic Kingdom. So far, I have seen very few...no squashed bugs on my car front end or windshield, either. I'm hoping for the best!
Well that is sounding hopeful for this year at least. I was thinking of moving the two weeks but it really doesn’t seem to follow an early/late month type of thing for the bugs.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Love bugs are prevalent in Florida two times of the year, when they are mating - April to May and August to September. They are especially bothersome while driving as the flies are attracted to exhaust fumes and swarm in great numbers around roadways.

I've never had an issue with them when visiting WDW those times of the year and walking around property.

They really are harmless, except to your car.... Driving anywhere in Florida those months, especially on interstates, is a pain and can be dangerous as visibility is affected.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
While they have a "season", the dates of love bug season tend to vary widely from year to year based on the weather. There's something that triggers them to emerge, something like a stretch of wet weather followed by a stretch of dry weather. Or maybe it was dry followed by wet. Or maybe my Floridian friend was pulling my leg...

-Rob

They were. 😉

They swarm during the 2 mating seasons. I carry Windex and microfiber cloths in my car to clean off my windshield when traveling any distance on interstates. Interstate rest stops with spray stations are a godsend during love bug season.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member

I'm up in NW Florida. I don't have an issue with the little buggers unless I'm driving on an interstate. They are especially attracted to the exhaust fumes of fast moving cars.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
Thanks so much for everyone’s insight! If anyone is in the parks right now it would be great if you could let me know how they are this year! Much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom