News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

dlr74

I’ve noticed on several videos that there seems to be pacing issues with the finale when the ride vehicles are backed up in the station. It’s almost like when there’s a backup, the ride vehicles inside the ride get closer together than normal.

In a few videos, specifically in the finale, when you enter the kiss scene you can hear the music playing from the vehicle before yours, and your music starts playing at the same time, overlapping. (“and wedding bells will ring” from previous vehicle overlapping with “someday my prince will come” from your vehicle”). The show effects seem to be out of sync when this happens too.

I personally rode this yesterday and this didn’t happen to us. Also seen some videos where this didn’t happen. Every video where it did happen, there was a vehicle backup at the unload station.

MagicWDI

I was violently scared of Michael Jackson's Thriller music video and of Chuck E Cheese, but never of the Disney animated movies. To each their own

yensidtlaw1969

I can definitely see them going after Pinocchio before Toad.

Agreed. Toad may not be the most popular attraction in the whole park, but it does have its cult-ish following. It draws a line and can get by for now. But Pinocchio, which *I* love for sentimental reasons, has never really been anyone's favorite and is generally accepted as the least successful of the Fantasyland attractions.

My hope is that the Pandemic has spared its removal, since it would be cheaper and faster to simply upgrade the attraction. The Snow White update cost less than 500 grand, if I recall - if that could get them a Pinocchio that finally pulled it's weight I bet they'd like that. Though I don't know if they'd approve even THAT kind of money these days . . .

I'd love to see Pinocchio reworked to include a great effect where we see Pinocchio transform into a Real Boy before our very eyes. I get why they opted out initially, but I don't think it registers with most guests and would be a great way to amp up the finale.

Californian Elitist

Agreed. Toad may not be the most popular attraction in the whole park, but it does have its cult-ish following. It draws a line and can get by for now. But Pinocchio, which *I* love for sentimental reasons, has never really been anyone's favorite and is generally accepted as the least successful of the Fantasyland attractions.

My hope is that the Pandemic has spared its removal, since it would be cheaper and faster to simply upgrade the attraction. The Snow White update cost less than 500 grand, if I recall - if that could get them a Pinocchio that finally pulled it's weight I bet they'd like that. Though I don't know if they'd approve even THAT kind of money these days . . .

I'd love to see Pinocchio reworked to include a great effect where we see Pinocchio transform into a Real Boy before our very eyes. I get why they opted out initially, but I don't think it registers with most guests and would be a great way to amp up the finale.
I like Pinocchio as well.

I’d like to see more done with the Pleasure Island and Blue Fairy/transformation scenes. Lots of potential there, as long as Disney doesn’t make it worse. That’s where I can see projection mapping coming into good use.

yensidtlaw1969

I like Pinocchio as well.

I’d like to see more done with the Pleasure Island and Blue Fairy/transformation scenes. Lots of potential there, as long as Disney doesn’t make it worse. That’s where I can see projection mapping coming into good use.
For sure - The Blue Fairy has this great shimmer effect in the movie as she appears and disappears, laying that over the Pepper's Ghost effect as she disappears would be a nice touch. Even projecting it onto the crash doors as you exit the giant Birdcage at the beginning wouldn't be bad - they play twinkly music to suggest she's helping you out there, but the connection could stand to be made clearer.

Pleasure Island could for SURE come to life with some mapping. My biggest issue with projections is when you get a straight, flat projection screen in place of what should be a practical event (looking at you, new Mine Scene Grumpy), but mapping a layered, dimensional space like the Pleasure Island scene seems like what that was made for.

Monstro could use some help too - I've always thought part of their problem was that there's already a much more interesting Monstro moment over in the Storybook Land Canal Boats, and that they didn't just want to repeat you being eaten, so they could at least project some better seagulls and water rushing down and around him.

There's a good bit of potential to Pinocchio, even beyond projections, they've just got to really lean into the "dirty fun" over the morality element. We're at Disneyland, give us the fun parts! And then just round it out with a heartwarming finale at the end, to drive the point home.

Animaniac93-98

The Pinocchio restaurant is still Beauty and the Beast decorated right?

I think Disney would sooner drop Pinocchio altogether and swap it for another Princess movie, than update what's there now. Pinocchio is neither an "original" ride, nor tied to any franchise. There's probably more merchandisable movies they'd prefer to use. I'm also sure there's lots of bits and pieces they could recycle from the Tokyo BatB and Tangled rides.

waltography

I think Disney would sooner drop Pinocchio altogether and swap it for another Princess movie, than update what's there now. Pinocchio is neither an "original" ride, nor tied to any franchise. There's probably more merchandisable movies they'd prefer to use. I'm also sure there's lots of bits and pieces they could recycle from the Tokyo BatB and Tangled rides.
Yep; it's still Red Rose Taverne, and it shows no signs of reverting back to Pinocchio anytime soon; all the signs were made permanent a while back (so no more cloth covers over the former Village Haus signs).

I like bits and pieces of Pinnochio (Jiminy and the Blue Fairy) but I wouldn't be horribly upset if they redid it to another property.

Animaniac93-98

I like bits and pieces of Pinnochio (Jiminy and the Blue Fairy) but I wouldn't be horribly upset if they redid it to another property.

I feel the same, especially since the only difference between this Pinocchio ride and the ones in Tokyo and Paris is that it's in English.

ATM there's nothing extra special about the California version.

mharrington

Except I believe OLC didn't want those rides cloned, and besides, given the space, it probably wouldn't be very good anyway.

I love the Pinocchio ride, and I don't want anything to happen to it, aside maybe from some upgrades. Perhaps with the remake coming, it might help make it relevant again somehow.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom