News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

lazyboy97o

A little off topic... but how much would it realistically cost Disney to build Alice, Toad, Snow White, and Pinnochio at MK ala Disneyland?
What it should cost or what it would cost? I could easily see each of those balloon above $100 million when the whole thing probably should be doable for a similar amount. It really is a shame how poorly Disney now uses space.
I think Disney purchased 3 of these so they had to put them somewhere.
They didn’t.
I think the people at disney have a 10+ year plan ahead of them and we will be getting more cool stuff in the future, esp in DHS.
They don’t.
Also maybe they will get rid of the barnstormer and shift the entire pathway over, closer to autopia and give perhaps a viewing area with a railing looking out over autopia. Im heard autopia is getting a major refurb soon. Possibly (hopefully) electrified and with a tron aesthetic. and if they do that, having a cool viewing area looking out over would be chill, esp with the massive tron canopy behind you...that entire area could be really something special.
A cool view of insulated metal panels?

Mr. Moderate

I’m ok with Tron being added in the spot is in now, but I didn’t realize it was gonna be about a minute and a half ride so the lines for it will be way too long for me. I’ve been studying Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney sea for quite a while and hopefully within two years I’ll be making my first visit.
My wish is that some of the rides like they have a TDL could be imported to Walt Disney World. I would love to see the Winnie the Pooh ride they have in Tokyo instead of the current version we have now. Same with Aqua Topia and I would love to see something like that instead of those smelly, loud gasoline powered cars that they have now.

Tokyo has so much over there in those two parks compared to what we have and so much of it as high-quality. Just my opinion and when I’m at MK, I’m the kind of person who looks at what can be improved.

owlsandcoffee

I’m ok with Tron being added in the spot is in now, but I didn’t realize it was gonna be about a minute and a half ride so the lines for it will be way too long for me. I’ve been studying Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney sea for quite a while and hopefully within two years I’ll be making my first visit.
My wish is that some of the rides like they have a TDL could be imported to Walt Disney World. I would love to see the Winnie the Pooh ride they have in Tokyo instead of the current version we have now. Same with Aqua Topia and I would love to see something like that instead of those smelly, loud gasoline powered cars that they have now.

Tokyo has so much over there in those two parks compared to what we have and so much of it as high-quality. Just my opinion and when I’m at MK, I’m the kind of person who looks at what can be improved.

One is run by TDO, one is run by OLC. Funny how that turns out. May we pray that Disney never buys out Tokyo like they did Paris.

Brer Panther

Wreck-it-Ralph would be perfect. Make the fantasyland end sugar rush themed to help that transition, Tron would work with the “breaks the internet” theme and vintage 70’s Tomorrowland works with the vintage arcade game.
Problem with doing a Sugar Rush ride is, Ralph Breaks the Internet had Vanellope ditch that game because she thought it was boring. Why would Disney build a ride based on a game in the film that they dubbed boring?

TrainsOfDisney

Problem with doing a Sugar Rush ride is, Ralph Breaks the Internet had Vanellope ditch that game because she thought it was boring. Why would Disney build a ride based on a game in the film that they dubbed boring?
Don’t go all bright suns on me!

Why is Arial greetings guests as a mermaid when she sacrificed her fathers kingdom to become human and then asked to remain human?

MichRX7

Premium Member
I will take Magic Kingdom 1973 for the win. Which, if I remember right, is about the time they pulled the plywood off the sides of the PeopleMover. Honestly, I would rather have a re-do of 20k Leagues over Tron. I understand why they feel they need to build it, but it doesn't mean I have to agree they couldn't have done something else with better story telling. If I want thrills I'll take the family to Cedar Point. If I want total immersion and a "best experience money can buy" getaway, Cedar Point will not be the choice. Maybe I'll push it back to 1975, because I did love the original Space Mountain. I miss me some Mr Toad's Wild Ride and If you Had Wings.

Of course, the kids and grandkids would argue this point with me.

DoleWhipDrea

A little off topic... but how much would it realistically cost Disney to build Alice, Toad, Snow White, and Pinnochio at MK ala Disneyland?
I don't know much about cost, but logistically WDI wouldn't be able to actually build all of those attractions as they are in Disneyland. They fit into a very tight space and share buildings with each other, and they're grandfathered to be exempt from certain safety regulations. So if WDI wanted to build versions in MK, they would have significantly larger footprints. I wouldn't mind seeing the circus area (excluding Dumbo) going away in favor of at least one really nice dark ride, and doing a proper full facade makeover to the parts of the land that still retain the old tent look, and give them the DL/DLP FL look. Then perhaps they could create a better transition between FL and TL. Barnstormer could be sent to one of the other parks that could desperately use another attraction to round out their roster.

If anything, it would be nice if the Tomorrowland Speedway cars could get their engines replaced with something more environmentally friendly...and less smelly. Part of me feels like WDI is purposefully neglecting the attraction to get rid of it in the near future, but to be replaced by what?

Tomorrowland needs a lot of love, and while TRON will help, it won't magically fix all of those problems. It's really unfortunate that right after the new entrance sign to Tomorrowland you have closed attractions on both sides of the land (neither of them were great, and when I saw them IRL for the first time in 2017, I felt like I was in a tacky strip mall.) Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor is probably meant to re-open when things are mostly back to normal, but it's not great, and it doesn't fit the land at all. Buzz looks completely run down and is a far cry from the versions that came after it.

I have heard that Merchant of Venus is permanently closed, which gives me some hope that we will see something new in the former Stitch building (which may have room to stretch out further if the shop is gutted?)...but who knows when that will happen. I do wonder if that rumored thrown-together 50th attraction is still being talked about for that spot.

owlsandcoffee

I have heard that Merchant of Venus is permanently closed, which gives me some hope that we will see something new in the former Stitch building (which may have room to stretch out further if the shop is gutted?)...but who knows when that will happen. I do wonder if that rumored thrown-together 50th attraction is still being talked about for that spot.

Yes, MoV is permanently closed. I saw some low-quality rumors that Stitch would be replaced by Wreck-it-Ralph and the store would be a meet-n-greet or something. It is my sincere hope that this does NOT happen.

DoleWhipDrea

Yes, MoV is permanently closed. I saw some low-quality rumors that Stitch would be replaced by Wreck-it-Ralph and the store would be a meet-n-greet or something. It is my sincere hope that this does NOT happen.
I think WIR got nixed before COVID (per insiders on this forum.) I will be very annoyed if another attraction is replaced by a M&G, but it sounds like something current management would do :confused:

owlsandcoffee

I think WIR got nixed before COVID (per insiders on this forum.) I will be very annoyed if another attraction is replaced by a M&G, but it sounds like something current management would do :confused:

I haven't ridden ANY of the iterations (went to WDW in 2004, between AE and Stitch) but I honestly think Alien Encounter was the best attraction to ever be in that space.

It seems to me that the general concept of "space travel" has always been the core of that space. WiR would be bonkers. I'd like to see a new, kid-friendly 4D show where you travel to space (like Mission to Mars but, you know, interesting). Space travel has been back in the public consciousness lately. I think people actually would be interested in it.

Fun fact, I'm pretty sure Timekeeper was ALSO down that day, and the GMR was down when we went to MGM Studios. I didn't really ride a lot of rides when I was there lol.

Bocabear

Pooh should just go away... Put a new version of the classic Snow White dark ride there...where it would relate to the mine across the Esplanade. Pinocchio Dark Ride should be copied from Disneyland and move into the Peter Pan's Flight location. Circus tents should go away along with the kiddie splash zone and the entire area should become Neverland. A new expanded double tracked PPF, Pirate Ship where the splash pad is, add a Tinkerbell overlay to the rollercoaster there and a meet and greet pixie Hollow and I think it would be just about perfect.

Bocabear

I’m still waiting for Pinocchios Daring Journey to go where Philharmagic is.

Or is that so early 80s?
I agree it should be there...and it is a charming ride... People love the dark rides... a shame that WDW is missing a good version of Pooh, Mr Toad's Wild Ride, Alice In Wonderland, Snow White, and Pinocchio. Adding 4 Family Friendly dark rides, and maybe a new build expanded Peter Pan's Flight would make for the BEST Fantasyland worldwide.

lazyboy97o

I don't know much about cost, but logistically WDI wouldn't be able to actually build all of those attractions as they are in Disneyland. They fit into a very tight space and share buildings with each other, and they're grandfathered to be exempt from certain safety regulations. So if WDI wanted to build versions in MK, they would have significantly larger footprints.
Small dark rides are still built today. Look at the Legoland Discovery Centers that are built into existing malls.

Sharing buildings is not a problem. Poor design of the Pandora show building doesn’t make it a problem. Again, see the Legoland Discovery Centers.

Grandfathering is not a blanket permanent exemption. Some regulations have no exemptions and must be implemented. Others have different triggers. Outside of certain exemptions regarding cost, history and structural viability new work generally must conform to current standards. All of the changes to make Snow White’s Enchanted Wish had to conform to contemporary codes.

Sure, the exact ride layouts and access may require adjustment but it should not require a significant increase in size.

Last edited:

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I agree it should be there...and it is a charming ride... People love the dark rides... a shame that WDW is missing a good version of Pooh, Mr Toad's Wild Ride, Alice In Wonderland, Snow White, and Pinocchio. Adding 4 Family Friendly dark rides, and maybe a new build expanded Peter Pan's Flight would make for the BEST Fantasyland worldwide.
Hasn't expanding MK out thru FL and the circus area been fans dream for years, going over the service road like DL?
Is there any truth to WDI ever looking into expanding that way?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I seem to remember some of those rides at WDW.

They weren’t busy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom