News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

Animaniac93-98

What's up with Dopey, and why haven't they put the flowers back in his hand? It just looks really weird having him with an empty clenched fist. I remember the preview video said something about how impressed we would be by the interaction between the Dopey and Snow figures, but they aren't even facing each other half the time. Was there something originally planned here that didn't work out? The holding area at the end of Seven Dwarfs' Mine Train at WDW features a really cool animatronic of Dopey and Snow who hold hands and dance across the entire cottage, surely a smaller version of that could have been done here.

Also, anybody else notice they knocked out an entire wall in the cottage of the Dwarfs? I'm assuming this is because the room and track layout are designed to draw your attention to the staircase with the Snow White figure, but she isn't there anymore, so now it's just one big room.

Before:

View attachment 552770

Now:

View attachment 552773

Good catch! Didn't notice that.

Also gives WDI another excuse to load up a scene with crates, boxes, bags and other junk. The true hallmark of theme design. ;)

BayouShack

The wasted ten seconds between the true love's first kiss and the farewell scene is a real shame. The kiss scene really should have replaced the cottage to allow for room to breath between the witch at cauldron, smashed mirror, cliff, and kiss scenes. It's really poor pacing. The ride is very tight up until the end, so all that wasted space stands out for the worse.

It seems like this was done by changing as little infrastructure as possible, because there isn't even a crash door between the cliff and kiss scenes. It's honestly just as abrupt as the original. The witch falls, and then -bam- you're in the next scene before that one is even over.

It's a shame because I like so much of what they did up until the apple mirror. I even like the set design of the happy ending. But the hallway between the kiss and goodbye scenes is bad design. It's very haphazard. Are you supposed to even notice the cottage behind the book? It's not lit up? Did they just not have the budget to remove it?

To me it feels like they started with the kissing scene-placing it in a location that would give riders lots of time to appreciate it--and designed the rest of the changes around it. There was no compromising, and it comes off clunky.

britain

Yes, it does seem like they were required to make physical changes as minimal as possible while still substantially changing the story beats.

Like, is there a witch still installed in the cottage behind the book?!

Okee68

From the Miscellaneous thoughts thread:
1.png

johnsmith1917

Honestly a huge improvement to the ride. There are a couple rough spots, but these can be easily fixed in the future.
Just 3 small changes I would advise in the future:
1. Add another animated storybook to the right of the cauldron scene showing snow white biting the apple
2. Move the projection of the witch trying to get away to where the current shattering mirror effect is
3. Put a projection of the witch falling off the cliff in place of the current projection.

Then I'd add the previous stormy climax music where the current musical lead in to "someday my prince will come" is. I think they might make similar edits in the next couple months/years hopefully since they wouldn't cost much

FerretAfros

Where the old ride suffered from a lack of conclusion, the new one suffers from too many conclusions. Before, there was just the mural book, awkwardly crammed into the corner between a violent death and the unload area.

Now there's the kiss. And then the animated book. And then Snow and the prince waving farewell. And then the mural book, now with fiber optics. For a ride that's barely over 2 minutes long, about a quarter of that time is spent in the various finales.

WDI's modern dark rides have an awkward tendency toward curtain-call endings, where all the characters make a final appearance, celebrating with each other and/or waving to the passing vehicles. It does nothing to progress the through-line of the attraction, whether that's defined as a series of moods and emotions, or a true linear story. It only introduces an awkward 4th-wall-breaking element right as everything is getting wrapped up. Have we been visible to these characters the whole time? Why are they only now acknowledging us?

Indiana Jones has the cracked boulder. DL's Pooh has the non-sequitur birthday party. Gran Fiesta Tour has the trio performing together. Epcot's Nemo ride has the Big Blue World. Little Mermaid has perhaps the most blatant one. Radiator Springs Racers has Lightning and Mater in the caves. Ratatouille has the rat restaurant party. Frozen ever after has In Summer. Runaway Railway has the picnic in the park.

This trend seems to have started with DLP's Snow White, followed by WDW's 1994 Snow White redo. And now DL's Snow White has it too.

I'm not sure why it's become such a pervasive design approach that it's practically required now, but it's seldom executed well, and rarely serves a meaningful purpose. When you're trying to convey a lot of information to riders in a limited amount of time, it seems like a waste to reuse the same trope that rarely adds value to the attraction as a whole, yet it's incredibly pervasive.

What's up with Dopey, and why haven't they put the flowers back in his hand? It just looks really weird having him with an empty clenched fist. I remember the preview video said something about how impressed we would be by the interaction between the Dopey and Snow figures, but they aren't even facing each other half the time. Was there something originally planned here that didn't work out? The holding area at the end of Seven Dwarfs' Mine Train at WDW features a really cool animatronic of Dopey and Snow who hold hands and dance across the entire cottage, surely a smaller version of that could have been done here.

Also, anybody else notice they knocked out an entire wall in the cottage of the Dwarfs? I'm assuming this is because the room and track layout are designed to draw your attention to the staircase with the Snow White figure, but she isn't there anymore, so now it's just one big room.

Before:

View attachment 552770
View attachment 552777

Now:

View attachment 552773
View attachment 552778
Dopey at least looks like he could be holding his hand up to dance with Snow White. Meanwhile, poor Sneezy underneath him has been missing his flute for literal decades at this point. I was hoping that this overhaul might finally replace the missing prop, since it was far more intensive than typical refurbishments, but it appears we've lost the opportunity yet again. At this point, I highly doubt it will ever return.
Prior to The Haunted Mansion, Snow White basically was Disneyland's "Haunted House" ride - skeletons and all!

Now with the changes to it and Tower of Terror, DLR has lost two of its peak "spooky" rides, and that's a shame.
Snow White and Tower of Terror were both advertised as spooky rides that fit the season when DLR launched the first Halloweentime in 2006, along with Haunted Mansion Holiday. Oddly, HMH is less spooky than the regular version of the ride, yet it's the only one that (probably?) still remains after 15 years.

Animaniac93-98

Snow White and Tower of Terror were both advertised as spooky rides that fit the season when DLR launched the first Halloweentime in 2006, along with Haunted Mansion Holiday. Oddly, HMH is less spooky than the regular version of the ride, yet it's the only one that (probably?) still remains after 15 years.

I'm still hoping they skip Jack Skellington's Enchanted Wish this year.

choco choco

To me it feels like they started with the kissing scene-placing it in a location that would give riders lots of time to appreciate it--and designed the rest of the changes around it. There was no compromising, and it comes off clunky.

That's exactly how they designed it. It's honestly fine. You design toward the wow moment and make that pop as much as possible.

It's really poor pacing. The ride is very tight up until the end, so all that wasted space stands out for the worse.

It seems like this was done by changing as little infrastructure as possible, because there isn't even a crash door between the cliff and kiss scenes. It's honestly just as abrupt as the original. The witch falls, and then -bam- you're in the next scene before that one is even over.
There literally is no solution for what you are asking for. The project's parameters are clearly set. Lose the scary forest. No re-rerouting the ride. Not a single square foot of expansion. I'm kinda worried people are up in arms here about "the plot" of the ride. We are now nearly seventy years into ride design history knowing the plot of a ride is somewhere between the twelfth to seventeenth most important thing.

So they could do nothing about the pacing, knowing they had at most...what, a hundred fifty feet? What can you do in that space?
The smartest thing to do is what they did. They went for a wow moment. They made sure to place it where there would be no light bleed from the scene before or the scene after. This precludes it from placing it at the end because that would lead to sunshine from the outside. The darkness of the cliff scene made it a good match for it to come before. Make both scenes have appeal and execute. Who cares the plot?

choco choco

Where the old ride suffered from a lack of conclusion, the new one suffers from too many conclusions. Before, there was just the mural book, awkwardly crammed into the corner between a violent death and the unload area.

Now there's the kiss. And then the animated book. And then Snow and the prince waving farewell. And then the mural book, now with fiber optics. For a ride that's barely over 2 minutes long, about a quarter of that time is spent in the various finales.

WDI's modern dark rides have an awkward tendency toward curtain-call endings, where all the characters make a final appearance, celebrating with each other and/or waving to the passing vehicles. It does nothing to progress the through-line of the attraction, whether that's defined as a series of moods and emotions, or a true linear story. It only introduces an awkward 4th-wall-breaking element right as everything is getting wrapped up. Have we been visible to these characters the whole time? Why are they only now acknowledging us?

Indiana Jones has the cracked boulder. DL's Pooh has the non-sequitur birthday party. Gran Fiesta Tour has the trio performing together. Epcot's Nemo ride has the Big Blue World. Little Mermaid has perhaps the most blatant one. Radiator Springs Racers has Lightning and Mater in the caves. Ratatouille has the rat restaurant party. Frozen ever after has In Summer. Runaway Railway has the picnic in the park.

This trend seems to have started with DLP's Snow White, followed by WDW's 1994 Snow White redo. And now DL's Snow White has it too.

I'm not sure why it's become such a pervasive design approach that it's practically required now, but it's seldom executed well, and rarely serves a meaningful purpose. When you're trying to convey a lot of information to riders in a limited amount of time, it seems like a waste to reuse the same trope that rarely adds value to the attraction as a whole, yet it's incredibly pervasive.

I believe Tony Baxter somewhat invented this approach. I vaguely remember a podcast where he mentioned it was important to have this "entrance hall/exit hall" approach where you gradually bring people into the world and gradually exit them out of it, and these sort of greet and farewell rooms did the trick, while satisfying the corporate mandate to shove characters in people's faces at every turn.

I have attributed it to him, although it may have been a design philosophy someone else ensconced there and he was the first to explain it publicly. I'm like you, I've always thought it was pandering and unnecessary.

lazyboy97o

I told one of my sisters about the changes, and her immediate reaction to the ride’s name was, “They already have an ‘Enchanted’ Tiki Room. Could they REALLY not come up with a different word?”

Sums up how I feel about this redo’s management in a nutshell.
Snow White’s Magical Wish of Dreams and Enchanted Magic inspired by Disney Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at DisneyPark® California North.

johnsmith1917

It's crazy how the tide turns so fast in this sub. It's not even 2 days old and people are already turning super negative about it. If you read the backstory, this was some intern's passion project that Disney actually green lit. Disneyland is investing in improving their dark rides which is a huge win. I know it's been awhile, but if you remember the Snow white ride was forgotten by the general public. They have breathed new light into it and better captured the spirit of Snow White. The dwarves dancing with Snow, Jewel mine, magic mirror, and castle on the clouds ending are iconic and the ride really focused on bringing to life those moments. Yeah I personally would have changed a few things, but this is a huge home run overall

MerlinTheGoat

Here's the version at Paris (i dunno if it was already posted before)-

As I've said before, this was previously an almost exact clone of the 1983 version at Disneyland CA. The show building is exactly the same size, the track layout is identical (even sharing the vehicle storage with the neighboring Pinocchio ride), rooms are structurally the same other than a few props being in different positions (and Paris has still yet to get the digital effects on the mirror and cliff scenes added to Cali some years back). The only major different is that the vehicle unload is pushed closer to the load in order to add a more elaborate ending.

Without having had a larger show building to accommodate the coffin scene like WDW's used to have in its 1994 renovation, implementing Paris' ending was the best and most logical way to "plus" the ride. Wouldn't have sacrificed any scenes to do so, and would give it a lovely ending scene (including some of the dwarfs as well). Unfortunate...

Californian Elitist

It's crazy how the tide turns so fast in this sub. It's not even 2 days old and people are already turning super negative about it. If you read the backstory, this was some intern's passion project that Disney actually green lit. Disneyland is investing in improving their dark rides which is a huge win. I know it's been awhile, but if you remember the Snow white ride was forgotten by the general public. They have breathed new light into it and better captured the spirit of Snow White. The dwarves dancing with Snow, Jewel mine, magic mirror, and castle on the clouds ending are iconic and the ride really focused on bringing to life those moments. Yeah I personally would have changed a few things, but this is a huge home run overall
Tides turning? From the moment the video was posted, many of us have had both criticisms and praise for the new version. It’s been pretty consistent.

It’s fine if you think it’s a home run. Some of us don’t and that’s fine, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom