News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

Little Green Men

For the record, I haven't watched the video, but I do think it's a little ironic that people are complaining about the rushed ending when the previous ending was literally a painted sign that said "And they lived happily ever after!"

It would have to be a pretty bad ending to be worse than that!

The previous ending was quite garbage.
Absolutely the old ending was a “ that’s it?”

britain

1619582192329.png

Another nice touch - they've got the queen's funky glass and that half skull in there. And even the 'scream of fright' smoke coming out of it!

And the audio is all from the original film too! That could have gone so badly. I might not be so positive on all these changes if it weren't for the subliminal 'seal of approval' from using the original audio tracks.

Rich T

Just watched the ride-through. Haven’t read anyone else’s reactions yet.

Eeeeeeeeeeuuuuaaaaggggghh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried to be open-minded. It was always the weakest of the four 80’s remodeled originals, so there was plenty of room for improvement. And, once past the grotesque new exterior paint job, I did enjoy the audio vibe in the boarding area. It felt lively and fun.

Cottage scene....fine.
Heigh-ho movie clip.... LAME.
Mine scene....Wonderful. Excellent.
Transformation....left alone. Wise.
Skeletons gone???? Grrrrrrr...
Apple potion scene....left alone...good...

And then the ride turns into complete garbage and falls apart and is dead to me now.

They removed tbe dark forest chase and compressed all the other witch appearances into the DL equivalent of Tiny Angry Ursula at DCA.

And replaced everything with Fifty Truckloads of flowers and sparkles.

And it turns out that Snow White’s enchanted wish was to live with deer and wave goodbye to the prince.

Well, the remodeled ride lives up to its stupid new name. What a bucket of barf.

Loved the mine, though.

Professortango1

For the record, I haven't watched the video, but I do think it's a little ironic that people are complaining about the rushed ending when the previous ending was literally a painted sign that said "And they lived happily ever after!"

It would have to be a pretty bad ending to be worse than that!
The painted mural was dumb and unneeded. The ending of the attraction is the witch dying. We venture into her lair, see her evil self, then we are pursued relentlessly until the dwarves help vanquish her, the end. Its a perfect ending for a ride about fleeing from an evil witch. This new version has too many ideas. We establish Snow White and the Dwarves, venture into the evil castle, then see a mirror under a bridge, the witch runs away, and then we have 2 scenes of Snow White being saved. The castle section is now the weird outlier that doesn't fit. The ride used to get more mysterious as it went before ramping up into a chase. Now, we jump around in tone and concepts and it feels like Ariel's Undersea Adventure.

Professortango1

Whenever I worked the exit, guests would always question me with this and ask where the ending was. I would point to the mural.🤷🏾‍♀️
But that wasn't the ending, that was a mural. The ending was the evil witch who was trying to kill us being stopped. Its straightforward storytelling. Queen in spooky castle. Queen is actually evil Witch with poison apple. Witch is trying to feed you poison, chasing you. Witch is killed, the end. I honestly don't get why people complain about the ending. It makes more sense than the added extra scene in Alice with the Unbirthday Party and nobody complains about that.

Magenta Panther

Some nice new effects. I do think it's an improvement over the original. But during the cottage scene - shouldn't Dopey be holding a bouquet or something in that clenched fist? And shouldn't either he or Snow or, heck, both of them be spinning around a little since they're supposed to be dancing? And that ending - yeesh. The poor Prince is left standing by wondering why his bride-to-be is petting a deer instead of him.

Hey TDA - would it have KILLED you to have Snow with the Prince on one side of the track corridor and the Dwarfs waving goodbye on the other? Oh wait - yeah - that would mean your having to build 7 new Dwarf AAs, heaven forbid!!!! God knows that money would be much better spent on a robot based on a flash-in-the-pan 2nd-tier Marvel character/walking tree stump (Groot). It just kills me that so often today's Imagineers just can't seem to tell a story right. The ride's ending is lame, anticlimactic, and underwhelming. The Peter Pan ride in Shanghai was re-imagined much better than this. OH well, can't expect too much from U.S. Imagineers I guess. Too bad.

Californian Elitist

But that wasn't the ending, that was a mural. The ending was the evil witch who was trying to kill us being stopped. Its straightforward storytelling. Queen in spooky castle. Queen is actually evil Witch with poison apple. Witch is trying to feed you poison, chasing you. Witch is killed, the end. I honestly don't get why people complain about the ending. It makes more sense than the added extra scene in Alice with the Unbirthday Party and nobody complains about that.
No, the mural was the ending. I was even told this in training. The mural was considered the ending, not the Evil Queen falling off the cliff. The idea was once Snow White wakes up, she then leaves for her new castle with Prince Charming, which is how the film ends. The mural is a direct depiction of this, hence why it's the ending.

Professortango1

No, the mural was the ending. I was even told this in training. The mural was considered the ending, not the Evil Queen falling off the cliff.
The mural is clearly not a show scene. Its a title card. That's like calling "The End" the end of the movie rather than the final scene. The ride was about an Evil Queen and it ends with her death. Every scene in the attraction ties into that narrative. Now, they kept some of that narrative, but changed out other parts and muddied other scenes, so the ride is more of a standard book report ride rather than a rider experience.

Californian Elitist

The mural is clearly not a show scene. Its a title card. That's like calling "The End" the end of the movie rather than the final scene. The ride was about an Evil Queen and it ends with her death. Every scene in the attraction ties into that narrative. Now, they kept some of that narrative, but changed out other parts and muddied other scenes, so the ride is more of a standard book report ride rather than a rider experience.
It was still officially considered the ending of the ride.

Rich T

You’re both right. Disney wanted a happy ending tacked onto the ride, even if it was just a mural. But the witch and the boulder *should* have been the end. If they’d just eliminated the mural altogether, I think people would have been fine with the ending (It worked for the 1955 original).

Or, they could have repainted the mural to show the fried witch lying dead on the rocks. :D

Rich T

Come to think of it, every 80’s New FL dark ride remodel ended with some sort of Mural/diorama except Toad. Pan has the pirate ship flying away, Alice has the outdoor Cheshire Cat goodbye...

I’m surprised they didn’t add a little unloading zone mural of Toad waking up in bed under the words, “And it was all just a dream!”

DLR92

I think the new facelift are perfect for the dark ride. But maybe if the attraction was large and grand. I think the screen would make it cheap. But in small tight spaces, screen work perfect!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom