Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanbreeze77

Again a different perspective from over the pond. WDW is an American destination but in “normal” times it is also an international destination. Agreed at the moment, there are no official international visitors so they are not high up on anyones agenda but there are now discussions on how and when this will change. When we are allowed back in to the country it seems highly likely that vaccine passports for entry will be mandatory.😁
I would also hope that the same would be true for all major tourist sites. If we have spent a lot of money to stay at Disney, bought very expensive travel insurance, travelled many thousands of miles, jumped through every hoop required to enter your beautiful country I do not want to be put at even a SMALL risk by mixing with the unvaccinated (medical reasons exempt.) If vaccines are not able for certain ages then negative test would be acceptable every 72 or so hours.
This may appear selfish and as I’ve said before probably is but if people are arriving from anywhere in the world? I know vaccine passports aren’t a 100% guarantee of safety or even potentially vaccine compliance but would provide a greater degree of safety than relying on herd immunity, especially if children remain unvaccinated.
I want to be able to visit Disney too - with or without a mask but preferably with some guarantee of vaccination compliance!
And this is why I said yesterday the money maker will be required vaccines. There are more pro-vax travelers than anti-vax travelers.

SamusAranX

Sure does. But, just like FL uses state funds to “enforce” the EO, see how quickly they and other similar states that are trying this approach buckle if the feds similarly withhold funds for not participating in a national database.

Frankly, I think it’s stupid there already wasn’t a national vaccine registry of some sort so that people aren’t constantly asking for their medical records for different things.
The feds can’t do that kind of coercive conditioning anymore. See recent SCOTUS cases involving Obamacare

sullyinMT

He has the right, sure, but I agree with the thought that he and others with anti-vax and discouraging the effort messages really need to shut up right now.

I honestly have never seen or heard anything from Rogan beyond a tv spot for Fear Factor back in the day.

I’m most shocked by FNN, though. Within the same umbrella, they have a vested interest in sports coming back with MLB and NFL tv contracts. If stadia aren’t full for NCAAF season again that could really hurt. Sports are hard to watch without full stadiums of ambient noise, as evidenced by lower ratings even when “everyone” was home last season. Most of what’s on throughout the day is thinly veiled spin (true of any network), but the prime time hosts get away with being rather careless with the rest of the broadcast company’s bottom line.

GimpYancIent

Again a different perspective from over the pond. WDW is an American destination but in “normal” times it is also an international destination. Agreed at the moment, there are no official international visitors so they are not high up on anyones agenda but there are now discussions on how and when this will change. When we are allowed back in to the country it seems highly likely that vaccine passports for entry will be mandatory.😁
I would also hope that the same would be true for all major tourist sites. If we have spent a lot of money to stay at Disney, bought very expensive travel insurance, travelled many thousands of miles, jumped through every hoop required to enter your beautiful country I do not want to be put at even a SMALL risk by mixing with the unvaccinated (medical reasons exempt.) If vaccines are not able for certain ages then negative test would be acceptable every 72 or so hours.
This may appear selfish and as I’ve said before probably is but if people are arriving from anywhere in the world? I know vaccine passports aren’t a 100% guarantee of safety or even potentially vaccine compliance but would provide a greater degree of safety than relying on herd immunity, especially if children remain unvaccinated.
I want to be able to visit Disney too - with or without a mask but preferably with some guarantee of vaccination compliance!
More like vaccine visa's rather than passports.

sullyinMT

The feds can’t do that kind of coercive conditioning anymore. See recent SCOTUS cases involving Obamacare
I don’t doubt it would be an uphill battle. I also don’t see it happening, or being fully litigated in the time it’s hopefully necessary from an immediate public health perspective. But other CMS funding and payment is absolutely tied to meaningful use of healthcare IT. Defining the sharing of ANY vaccine status as “meaningful use” is something I’d like to see done, honestly, since so much other data is already shared, anyway. My insurance company already knows we were vaccinated for billing of time and PPE, and I didn’t have much choice in that divulgence (not that I care). Being able to make that info easily portable to an airline app, or something like the Excelsior pass in NY, should be just as basic if I choose to open that portal.

SamusAranX

I don’t doubt it would be an uphill battle. I also don’t see it happening, or being fully litigated in the time it’s hopefully necessary from an immediate public health perspective. But other CMS funding and payment is absolutely tied to meaningful use of healthcare IT. Defining the sharing of ANY vaccine status as “meaningful use” is something I’d like to see done, honestly, since so much other data is already shared, anyway. My insurance company already knows we were vaccinated for billing of time and PPE, and I didn’t have much choice in that divulgence (not that I care). Being able to make that info easily portable to an airline app, or something like the Excelsior pass in NY, should be just as basic if I choose to open that portal.
Don’t get me wrong, I wish it were a simple solution such as funds conditioning. But I have no faith in politicians and never will

CatesMom

I'll probably get in trouble for speaking of this, but at today's outdoor presser he came to the podium, mask on, after the new CDC guidance for fully vaccinated and outdoor events. No one was within 30 feet of him either. Granted, he left without the mask on, but missed an opportunity to show a benefit of being vaccinated off the jump.
The whole point of mask on/ mask off was to demonstrate how the guidelines had changed. He replaced his mask with his Ray-Bans. Every news report I've heard about the presser has stressed that point so I think he took full advantage of the opportunity.

lazyboy97o

Just like Rogan, who I disagree with, is allowed to state his opinion on his podcast. Making him "answer for that" as someone said in this thread is ludicrous. He's not claiming to be the foremost authority in virology and has every right to say what he wants on his show just as you have every right to not heed his advice.
Just because you can do or say something does not mean you should and it more importantly does not mean it should be respected. This idea that all opinions are equal and should be respected, and especially that lies and misinformation are a valid opinion, completely undermines good faith arguments and civic discourse.

ImperfectPixie

Just because you can do or say something does not mean you should and it more importantly does not mean it should be respected. This idea that all opinions are equal and should be respected, and especially that lies and misinformation are a valid opinion, completely undermines good faith arguments and civic discourse.
I think it's wonderful that he was able to get full creative control of his show - that's very rare. And I understand that he wants to discuss a wide variety of topics. But that freedom comes with responsibility, and my opinion is that, as an entertainer, he shouldn't be voicing opinions that go against what the experts say during a world-wide health crisis. The vaccination campaign is already struggling, and he just encouraged a bunch of 21-year-olds (who aren't generally the best decision-makers to begin with) not to get vaccinated, making the campaign to get as many people possible to get a vaccine even more difficult. It was completely irresponsible for him to say that - and he KNOWS people do what he says.

ImperfectPixie

He was a reality show host, no more cred than the last guy. Not surprised he spews BS to grift a buck from the gullible, its all a performance.
That's my point. He's an entertainer. He shouldn't be voicing opinions that differ from the experts during a health crisis - it's irresponsible and he likely did damage to the already struggling vaccination campaign.

Incomudro

It baffles me that near-immunity from a potentially dangerous virus isn’t “reward” enough for some people. I really despair of humanity.
Do you remember what it was like to be young?
I know you've seen the statistics of how covid effects people along various age groups.
Young, healthy people have a risk that is smaller than that of several other things that might kill them.
Many young people are going to need to be convinced to get vaccinated to help other people, and society as a whole.
That's a fairly tall order.

ImperfectPixie

Do you remember what it was like to be young?
I know you've seen the statistics of how covid effects people along various age groups.
Young, healthy people have a risk that is smaller than that of several other things that might kill them.
Many young people are going to need to be convinced to get vaccinated to help other people, and society as a whole.
That's a fairly tall order.
It is. And Joe Rogan just made that order even taller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom