Chef Art Smith's Homecoming, is it that good?

littleroo

We just went to Homecoming last Saturday for lunch! It was delicious. The portions are huge!! I suggest a dinner reservation because it is hard to move afterwards. Lol! The bloody mary and orange crush were tasty and fresh! This will be a must do every trip for us. Oh...HUMMINGBIRD CAKE!!

Minnesota disney fan

Have been trying to get an ADR at Homecoming for a month now with no success. We're going late Sept.-early Oct. this year so I realize things can change at any time, but it's been full-up since 180 days out. I'll keep trying, but is it that good? Also, opinions on Polite Pig as an alternative?
My husband and I ate there after having great anticipation because of all the good reviews.
Well, the chicken was okay. The "mashed" potatoes were watery and had to be eaten with a spoon??!!
The biscuits were too cheesey for our tastes but ok.
And when we got the bill, they charged us double!!
We were really unimpressed with the food, TBH, and wouldn't eat there again.
Lots of other people had a good experience and seem to love it though. Just our experience.

Phonedave

Everything came out hot and fresh

That is the lower bar for calling yourself a restaurant.

I see so many reviews that say "the place was wonderful, everything was hot and fresh"

That does not make a good restaurant. That is table stakes for calling yourself a restaurant.

Maybe it is a great restaurant, I don't know, I have not eaten there yet - but any place I eat at had better have 'hot and fresh' food.

Hockey89

That is the lower bar for calling yourself a restaurant.

I see so many reviews that say "the place was wonderful, everything was hot and fresh"

That does not make a good restaurant. That is table stakes for calling yourself a restaurant.

Maybe it is a great restaurant, I don't know, I have not eaten there yet - but any place I eat at had better have 'hot and fresh' food.
Same for me with the portions were huge!!! I don't need nor do I want to eat a half of cow at dinner....

tpac24

YES YES AND YES!!!!!!!! It is must do for us every trip! IMOP the best restaurant on property. The fired catfish and fried okra are amazing!!

Also I am southerner and mostly cook southern foods. For reference my opinions on it being a great restaurant are based on what Disney has to offer of course I have had better but for Disney property this place is great.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

It was honestly one of the best meals I've had in my life and was the best meal of my trip (went at the end of April this year). Absolutely loved it. The Fried Chicken, Potatoes, Macoroni, and Humming Bird cake are all to die for and some of the best food I've had in my life. I would not pass up going there at all.

Second favorite meal was Via Napoli which had the best pizza I've eaten in my life.
Then you obviously never had pizza in NJ & NY...

Jimmy Thick

Being totally honest here.

My wife loved the food. I thought it was terrible and it made me sick and because of that I'll never go back. It was a breakfast dish too the Benedict. I'll go look for the picture of my meal when I have time, it looked incredible.

I honestly believe restaurants can have a bad day and deserve second chances but the food was so very very bad never again for me.

MrMcDuck

The portions are huge because it's Southern homestyle cooking. I've traveled all around the American South and a big serving for that level and type of restaurant is the standard. You're not forced to eat everything on your plate. If you don't like the quality or the menu, that's a fair criticism (I can certainly think of things to criticize), but portion size is one thing they definitely get right. Oh, and friendly, flirty staff. That's another thing they nail. (Although they tend to be more attractive at Art Smith's than similar restaurants in the South...)

PiratesMansion

I wanted to love it, but nothing impressed and I left feeling like I overpaid for overhyped chicken.

Even the dessert I ordered was disappointing.

It's right up there with Knott's as the most overrated fried chicken I've ever had (and Knott's chicken is at least a much better value!)

Hockey89

The portions are huge because it's Southern homestyle cooking. I've traveled all around the American South and a big serving for that level and type of restaurant is the standard. You're not forced to eat everything on your plate. If you don't like the quality or the menu, that's a fair criticism (I can certainly think of things to criticize), but portion size is one thing they definitely get right. Oh, and friendly, flirty staff. That's another thing they nail. (Although they tend to be more attractive at Art Smith's than similar restaurants in the South...)
Yes, that is why the obesity runs rampant in the south.
It was honestly one of the best meals I've had in my life and was the best meal of my trip (went at the end of April this year). Absolutely loved it. The Fried Chicken, Potatoes, Macoroni, and Humming Bird cake are all to die for and some of the best food I've had in my life. I would not pass up going there at all.

Second favorite meal was Via Napoli which had the best pizza I've eaten in my life.
omg. Via Napoli had the best pizza you have had. I’m crying for you.

PiratesMansion

I loved it. I’ve had many wood fired pizzas and this was my favorite place by far. My 2nd favorite is Giadornos, which is Chicago Style pizza.
Giordano's is ok. It's been a bit too hit-or-miss for me over the years.

My favorite Chicago style pizza (and favorite pizza, period) is Lou Malnati's. If you're ever in Chicagoland, definitely try it out!

That said, I can't say I love Via Napoli, and I've tried it twice. It's not bad pizza, it just doesn't do anything for me.

LittleMerman

I went once a few years ago and liked it. It wasn't anything absolutely incredible but imo not many restaurants on Disney property are amazing food-wise. We had a few apps which were just fine and I got the chicken n dumplings soup. It tasted good but way too salty. I left neither impressed or upset. Would like to try more places in Springs before going back though.

Giss Neric

Being totally honest here.

My wife loved the food. I thought it was terrible and it made me sick and because of that I'll never go back. It was a breakfast dish too the Benedict. I'll go look for the picture of my meal when I have time, it looked incredible.

I honestly believe restaurants can have a bad day and deserve second chances but the food was so very very bad never again for me.
Did you even taste your wife's food to seal the deal that it was really bad? I mean she loved it so most likely it was just you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom