Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

TP2000

It’s also in Fantasyland next to Dumbo

It's not just next to Dumbo, it literally frames Dumbo. And not just any Dumbo, but a 1970's 10-arm version of Dumbo. On a cement pad. A cement pad coated with fresh slurry paint quarterly, and antiseptically cleaned every night. But a cement pad nevertheless. :cool:

Dumbo%201.jpg

It's as if WDI took every bland, corporate design decision they made for WDW in 1970 and amplified it just a bit for Tokyo in '83.

I'm not up to speed on the latest Tokyo news, after my planned 2020 trip was cancelled, but I seem to remember they were going to finally fix this. I kind of wish they wouldn't.

Seriously, it's like the best of ham-handed 1970's corporate design that gave us most of Magic Kingdom Park circa 1971, but with slightly sloppier brush strokes. You can't pay for that sort of magic, it just has to happen once every generation or three.

Last edited by a moderator:

owlsandcoffee

It's not just next to Dumbo, it literally frames Dumbo. And not just any Dumbo, but a 1970's 10-arm version of Dumbo. On a cement pad. A cement pad coated with fresh slurry paint quarterly, and antiseptically cleaned every night. But a cement pad nevertheless. :cool:

Dumbo%201.jpg

It's as if WDI took every bland, corporate design decision they made for WDW in 1970 and amplified it just a bit for Tokyo in '83.

I'm not up to speed on the latest Tokyo news, after my planned 2020 trip was cancelled by the China Virus, but I seem to remember they were going to finally fix this. I kind of wish they wouldn't.

Seriously, it's like the best of ham-handed 1970's corporate design that gave us most of Magic Kingdom Park circa 1971, but with slightly sloppier brush strokes. You can't pay for that sort of magic, it just has to happen once every generation or three.
Looking at Google Earth, Dumbo was still Dumboing there as of January. That might be the most baffling thing I've ever seen.

TP2000

Looking at Google Earth, Dumbo was still Dumboing there as of January. That might be the most baffling thing I've ever seen.

Isn't it great?!? Immediately south of Dumbo are a few classic 1970's dark rides; Peter Pan and Snow White.

All perfectly maintained, as if they just opened in 1983, except it's well into the 21st century. And all slathered in fresh slurry paint on the ground that is swept clean every 5 minutes and sterilized every night. With smiling Japanese Cast Members who are perfectly groomed and expertly managed. It's the weirdest and yet most charming version of a Disney theme park you've ever seen. It's perfection, really.

PC031812.JPG

TP2000

Everything I've seen of Tokyo feels like a time capsule into WDW circa 1975.

That's exactly what it is.

What happened is that Walt Disney Productions circa 1980 sat down and wrote a manual for the Oriental Land Company on how to operate and manage a Disneyland. And the Japanese, being Japanese, took that manual and studied it as if it was the Bible. And they followed and obeyed that manual to the letter, even if their American counterparts weren't actually following it completely in 1980. But the Japanese took it very, very seriously and codified it into quantifiable facts and actionable results. And they opened their Disneyland based on that in 1983 and then they just kept going, decade after decade, returning to the source material whenever they had a question or a quandry.

The result here in the 21st century is that Tokyo Disneyland is an expertly run and managed theme park based on the principles of Walt Disney Productions circa 1975-1982. But you get to buy a ticket and go in even if it's 2021. And it's still the same. And it's perfect.

Meanwhile, in the United States...

2021-WDW-EPCOT-Tower-of-Terror-Tattoo-3-427x600.jpg

SuddenStorm

What happened is that Walt Disney Productions circa 1980 sat down and wrote a manual for the Oriental Land Company on how to operate and manage a Disneyland. And the Japanese, being Japanese, took that manual and studied it as if it was the Bible. And they followed and obeyed that manual to the letter, even if their American counterparts weren't actually following it completely in 1980. But the Japanese took it very, very seriously and codified it into quantifiable facts and actionable results. And they opened their Disneyland based on that in 1983 and then they just kept going, decade after decade, returning to the source material whenever they had a question or a quandry.

The result here in the 21st century is that Tokyo Disneyland is an expertly run and managed theme park based on the principles of Walt Disney Productions circa 1975-1982. But you get to buy a ticket and go in even if it's 2021. And it's still the same. And it's perfect.

I'm more interested in visiting Tokyo Disneyland then I am WDW.

I mean they have CBJ, the 'purest' version of Pirates and Mansion on the planet, and by all accounts it's maintained and ran like we wish Anaheim was.

unmitigated disaster

What's wrong with how she looks?

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No

That’s a human being right there. Not a tool for your Disney vacations.

waltography

I'm seeing the new HM queue pop up in my Instagram stories and the new queue details are nice! There's plenty of queue space past the cat where you do a roundabout U-turn so hopefully there's not too many problems regarding hopping into a doombuggy.

George Lucas on a Bench

If anything, the added space there seems not only brighter, but emptier and perhaps worse than it was before aesthetically. Looks like everything people have been complaining about in this Load Area AKA The Boundless Realm as all these Disney forum people call it, has been made worse. However, it makes sense as a staging area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom