The Swan and Dolphin versus Disney Properties

DiSnEyF@n

I'm glad to read this. My husband wanted to stay here to keep his Marriott Bon Voy status active (instead of our usual Boardwalk), since he hasn't been traveling for work. I've never stayed there, but I've dined there a few times and looked around after dinner. It looks really nice and the pools look great. I know people say it's not "Disney enough." You can walk to two parks--that is Disney enough for me.
Honestly, it’s my “home” at Disney.... with or without some of the Disneyish theme of it. It still feels “Disney” to me. The smells of the hotel can’t be beat and the beds are literally heavenly. Just an FYI, if you’re traveling with more than 2 people, the Dolphin has 2 double beds and the Swan has 2 queen beds. We stay at the swan bc it’s quieter albeit a little farther away from the Dolphin amenities. The bigger beds and the quieter halls make a more enjoyable stay for us. Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy your trip!

Last edited:

bennyw01

I'm glad to read this. My husband wanted to stay here to keep his Marriott Bon Voy status active (instead of our usual Boardwalk), since he hasn't been traveling for work. I've never stayed there, but I've dined there a few times and looked around after dinner. It looks really nice and the pools look great. I know people say it's not "Disney enough." You can walk to two parks--that is Disney enough for me.
Sometimes its nice to come back to your room and not have to be surrounded in Mickey Mouse everything.

tpoly88

WdwPrince has it right. I love the Dolphin and Swan and I don't ever feel any lack of Disney Magic there. I've stayed many times and it is always as good as deluxe at the moderate price. You can't beat the location. You might have more "Disney at the moderate" but you can't really have more magic and Disney than the ability to walk to 2 parks.
You and the previous post are right on. My wife and i stay at the S&D 90% of the time and price is the main reason but also the quality of the rooms. i like the Swan better but both are nice and even with the resort fee and parking it is sometimes $200-$300 less per night with my FL discount. All in its usually around $220-$240 a night. thats with all the fees and parking. ive gotten a room there for as little as $149. my favorite is the YC but i cant rationalize spending $400+ a night there when im spending $220 total at the S&D.

Epcotfan21

You and the previous post are right on. My wife and i stay at the S&D 90% of the time and price is the main reason but also the quality of the rooms. i like the Swan better but both are nice and even with the resort fee and parking it is sometimes $200-$300 less per night with my FL discount. All in its usually around $220-$240 a night. thats with all the fees and parking. ive gotten a room there for as little as $149. my favorite is the YC but i cant rationalize spending $400+ a night there when im spending $220 total at the S&D.
Everything you said is spot on.

JusticeDisney

S&D are great resorts, in my opinion. We have stayed there many times and always had great experiences. They do, however, have a little bit of that “I could be in any hotel anywhere else in the country” type feel, if that makes sense. Also, be prepared for a very adult feel. Yes, you will see some kids and families, but you will also see tons of adults and convention-goers pounding drinks in the lobby area as well as at the pool. Nowhere near like a Vegas hotel, but as close to that as you are going to get in WDW. I definitely recommend the S&D, you just need to know what you are signing up for.

Notes from Neverland

We're considering S&D for a future stay as we've never stayed there before and it's hard not to love the location. The prices are pretty attractive compared to what's currently out there in the Epcot Resort Area. Add in Disney's shrinking list of perks and we're now strongly considering it.

Club Cooloholic

On the plus side, the Swan and Dolphin are Deluxe Resorts in an excellent location. The Boardwalk, DHS, and Epcot are all close by. They share a very nice pool facility and have some excellent restaurants. Rates usually are very reasonable, often less than Disney Moderate Resorts. Disney's buses & boats service the resorts, and S&D guests receive Extra Magic Hours.

On the negative side, the lobbies and rooms feel corporate and lack that "Disney magic". Between Resort Fee and daily parking, add at least $25/night to the resort rate. I don't believe they offer Disney's Magic Express.

If you are like me and love the Crescent Lake, then S&D are viable options because they are a lot less expensive than BWI or Y&BC.
What a difference between 2013 and 2021. So many of the cons mentioned now apply to WDW properties too. Parking fees, no magic express and the corporate look and lack of theming after many renovations.
Makes choosing Swanfin easy if right price. And they still have a kids club

Bugz

They do charge a parking and daily resort fee, so take that into account when pricing rooms.

Location can't be beat. Epcot resorts are kind of right in the middle of everything. If you wanted to, you could walk to Epcot or DHS. :) The Dolphin is a cute hotel. The staff is pleasant. You get some free water bottles...they aren't really free, of course, but Disney doesn't give you any, so a wee little bonus there.

Rooms are a good size and, as the dolphin says, the whole place is "whimsical." But there is nothing garish. Nerves aren't on edge or anything. Just kind of cute, for a hotel. A little extra space is always nice. The lobby is cute, but was confusing for me the first time I had to go find my room. After that, it was fine.

I only ate in the big, full restaurant once because the cheaper places were what I wanted more, but the time I ate there the food was good and the service was great. The Dolphin Fountain had the best tuna fish sandwich I've had at WDW. Picabu is the best kept secret at WDW. The eating area is adorable and comfortable! The food is way above average for cafeteria-style food. The prices aren't bad, either. Seriously the best fast-food in any hotel on the Disney property and I've been to all of them many times. :)

The gift shop is fine, but there are much better hotel gift shops out there. No matter. There are plenty of places to shop in WDW, that's for sure.

The pools are far and away the best pools in all of WDW. And the chairs are more comfy than the Disney chairs. It's just all better at the Dolphin pool.

I was really happy with my stays at the dolphin and (except for that "resort fee" business) recommend the place.
Were going in September and staying at Dolphin , i like what you said about it , i always stayed at Carribean , and a little nervous about Dolphin but you described what we're looking for , thank you!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Were going in September and staying at Dolphin , i like what you said about it , i always stayed at Carribean , and a little nervous about Dolphin but you described what we're looking for , thank you!
Relax you'll like it and may never stay anywhere else again. Read any TR by @bee she and @MinnieM123 stay there most of the time

bee

Relax you'll like it and may never stay anywhere else again. Read any TR by @bee she and @MinnieM123 stay there most of the time
Thanks for the tag!

My wife and I have stayed at all the moderate resorts (including Caribbean Beach), 4/5 value resorts, and the Boardwalk. We prefer the Swolphin over all the resorts we have stayed at, even the Boardwalk. If you have any questions about the resorts I am happy to chat here or via DM.

Kkar

We just got back from 5 days/4 nights at the Dolphin. We were there for a weekend in April, and had such a good time we decided to go back in May. Our stay was great - between the restaurants (both in the Dolphin and Swan), pool area, lobby bar and location, it was a perfect getaway. You'll like it!

Bugz

Thanks for the tag!

My wife and I have stayed at all the moderate resorts (including Caribbean Beach), 4/5 value resorts, and the Boardwalk. We prefer the Swolphin over all the resorts we have stayed at, even the Boardwalk. If you have any questions about the resorts I am happy to chat here or via DM.
It looks like its in a perfect spot!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Thanks for the tag!

Anytime my friend:inlove:

Kkar

The swan and Dolphin you can’t do Disney dining plan ( when it all goes back to normal)
But all the main restaurants (Shula's, Blue Zoo, Kimono's, Il Mulino, as well as the Cabana Pool Bar & Grille) are still taking the TiW card if you still have one that hasn't expired yet.

Bugz

But all the main restaurants (Shula's, Blue Zoo, Kimono's, Il Mulino, as well as the Cabana Pool Bar & Grille) are still taking the TiW card if you still have one that hasn't expired yet.
No using any dining plan at Dolphin??

Figgy1

Premium Member
No using any dining plan at Dolphin??
Currently there are no dining plans and no date for when they will come back. The European deal for next year is a gift card that can be used for food no dining plan options so it may be quite a while until they come back

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom