Ready to buy, push me over the edge

havoc315

It really is fascinating to me how the lowest points-cost rooms are the first to go at pretty much every resort. I understand the urge to get the most nights for your points, but I think I'll be much more inclined to hunt for value by seeking out the best points-per-dollar-of-rack-rate.

If I'm going to drop $20,000+ on a vacation club, I'm absolutely not going to be staying in a standard view studio at Aulani.

Best point per rack rate dollar are usually the lower point rooms. Overall, studios have the best per dollar value. (Often $20-30 per point). 1 bedrooms have the worst, sometimes just $15-$20. 2 BRs are in between.

havoc315

The basic idea is that if you wanted to have $5000 to spend on a vacation in 2042, you’d only have to invest $1300 in a S&P fund now to do it. For a 2062 vacation that number is like $400. So it’s not reasonable to value the out years the same way you value the next few years; the should be deflated.

And I would argue they should be further deflated for all of the risk you are agreeing to absolve the Walt Disney Company of - what if climate change makes the parks unbearable?What if they totally start to neglect the parks? What if they spin off the parks division and things get weird? You’re still on the hook. We have some visibility to the next 10 years and can see that’s unlikely to happen. We have less visibility to 20+ years, and should probably not make any assumptions. Thus, the value of those years should be deflated further.

Finally, some of the 2042 contracts are just cheap. You could get Boardwalk for $110 last summer. BRV sells sub-$100 contracts all the time. Stack those with the point charts and mathematically discounting the out years and for BRV and BWV the total dollars per night, in both dues and buy in, is a good bit lower than say Poly or CCV, which have a ton of years left.

OKW would be right there too except the dues are kinda high and the 2057 contracts only usually go for $6-$7 more.

Beach Club is so expensive you’d be better off renting and for a 1 bedroom you’re better off paying cash through Disney. The beach resorts also don’t make sense to buy, but it’s more because of dues.

Ignoring the fact that a BWV becomes worthless in 2042. While in 2042, Riviera will likely have solid resale value, likely greater than the current direct price (in non-inflation adjusted dollars).

Thus, even considering the reduced value of far distant years, considering the difference in resale value, direct at Riviera is a much better long term value proposition than BWV.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ignoring the fact that a BWV becomes worthless in 2042. While in 2042, Riviera will likely have solid resale value, likely greater than the current direct price (in non-inflation adjusted dollars).

Thus, even considering the reduced value of far distant years, considering the difference in resale value, direct at Riviera is a much better long term value proposition than BWV.

have you ever been to riviera??

ummm...no

but other than that...I agree with you.

people pay way over valuation for 1/2 used resells...then convince themselves it’s worth “more”

its classic Disney Stockholm syndrome.

havoc315

have you ever been to riviera??

ummm...no

I own at Riviera. So I put my money where my mouth is. Especially for the price, I find it to be the nicest hone resort.

but other than that...I agree with you.

people pay way over valuation for 1/2 used resells...then convince themselves it’s worth “more”

its classic Disney Stockholm syndrome.

havoc315

have you been to any others? It’s not. The reputation is true.

...or was it the only one for sale? Don’t feel bad...I wouldn’t have “picked” Saratoga. But I saved a lot 😎

Been to most, not all (been to BLT, Poly, GFV, BWV, and BCV, never been to AKV, SSR or OKW).

Does seem Riviera spawns love/hate controversy. I’m in the “love” camp. Large well appointed rooms — my number 1 priority. Skyliner access to 2 parks. Lovely grounds and nice relaxing pools which are quite large being they serve only 300 units. A very good signature restaurant.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Been to most, not all (been to BLT, Poly, GFV, BWV, and BCV, never been to AKV, SSR or OKW).

Does seem Riviera spawns love/hate controversy. I’m in the “love” camp. Large well appointed rooms — my number 1 priority. Skyliner access to 2 parks. Lovely grounds and nice relaxing pools which are quite large being they serve only 300 units. A very good signature restaurant.

...but looks nothing like any other Disney hotel. Hence the criticism.

amorphous “Italian” theme...portofino bay with less amenities.

topolino had decent food. But looks like an 80’s wedding factory. I bet most don’t even realize the “observation deck” is on the wrong side? It looks at caribbean.

the Guady RR sign in lights is a nice touch too 🙄

minor details.

it’s got a “what New Yorkers want...we think?” Kinda feel to it. Like a place in Naples (Fl) or Central Park south. Couldn’t shake that.

rooms seemed to be larger than recent DVC...bland...but an improvement there.

I said about 2 years ago I would wait to pass judgement on the construction. Now I’ve seen it.

the idea was awful...as is the price and the restrictive policy torpedoing the longterm value of it. But I wasn’t gonna comment more till I gave it a shot. Not likely to stay there. If the points were equivalent with the moderate grounds it was built on...then maybe. But the amenities aren’t there.

But I tend to be an optimist

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster

topolino had decent food. But looks like an 80’s wedding factory. I bet most don’t even realize the “observation deck” is on the wrong side? It looks at caribbean.

minor details.

it’s got a “what New Yorkers want...we think?” Kinda feel to it. Like a place in Naples (Fl) or Central Park south. Couldn’t shake that.

I said about 2 years ago I would wait to pass judgement on the construction. Now I’ve seen it.

the idea was awful...as is the price and the restrictive policy torpedoing the longterm value of it. But I wasn’t gonna comment more till I gave it a shot. Not likely to stay there. If the points were equivalent with the moderate grounds it was built on...then maybe. But the amenities aren’t there.

I'm with you on Riviera, but I have to say.... having just spent a week at Caribbean Beach, the Skyliner is freaking awesome. I can see that being a huge selling point for many people. But yeah, it feels like the kind of place you go because it's what your rich mother-in-law likes and she's paying for the trip so you have no choice.

Last edited:

havoc315

minor details.

I do happen to like the design of the hotel. But even if I didn’t, “theme” is mostly irrelevant to me. Other than Animal Kingdom, I really don’t like the theming at any Disney resort. The worst, IMO, are Beach Club (pastel Holiday Inn with the blandest smallest rooms), BLT (90’s small city apartment building with tiny cheap feeling rooms), Grand Floridian (feels like someone tried to add superficial elegance on top of a Marriott).

To me, Riviera is a very nice hotel, large well appointed rooms, beautiful artwork through out, with inspiration and touches from Europe. I certainly don’t “feel like I’m in the French Riviera”... but I don’t “feel like I’m in Hawaii at the Poly” either, just feels like a Disney hotel with some Hawaiian decoration. (Though I do like Poly... if they had 1-2 bedrooms and it was the same price as Riviera, then I might have purchased at Poly.)

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
I do happen to like the design of the hotel. But even if I didn’t, “theme” is mostly irrelevant to me. Other than Animal Kingdom, I really don’t like the theming at any Disney resort. The worst, IMO, are Beach Club (pastel Holiday Inn with the blandest smallest rooms), BLT (90’s small city apartment building with tiny cheap feeling rooms), Grand Floridian (feels like someone tried to add superficial elegance on top of a Marriott).

To me, Riviera is a very nice hotel, large well appointed rooms, beautiful artwork through out, with inspiration and touches from Europe. I certainly don’t “feel like I’m in the French Riviera”... but I don’t “feel like I’m in Hawaii at the Poly” either, just feels like a Disney hotel with some Hawaiian decoration. (Though I do like Poly... if they had 1-2 bedrooms and it was the same price as Riviera, then I might have purchased at Poly.)
*whispers*
go to aulani

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom