News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I thought that the topiary sculpters who work inside the park are "on stage" and therefore Cast Members? Nowhere did I mention all Disney employees so I'm not sure why you would try to educate me on the dress codes at their studios or an event like D23?
Some of the sculptures are from WDW horticulture and are considered cast members and have to follow Disney Look. The ones featured here are Imagineers, not considered cast members, and do not have to follow Disney Look. Not all employees of TWDC are considered cast members. Just ones that are speciality hired for in park roles are.

Lilofan

Some of the sculptures are from WDW horticulture and are considered cast members and have to follow Disney Look. The ones featured here are Imagineers, not considered cast members, and do not have to follow Disney Look. Not all employees of TWDC are considered cast members. Just ones that are speciality hired for in park roles are.
There are also some third party staff that work in theme parks specifically in food and beverage and deal directly w/ guests. Curious if they will be allowed tattoos, guys wearing earrings.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
There are also some third party staff that work in theme parks specifically in food and beverage and deal directly w/ guests. Curious if they will be allowed tattoos, guys wearing earrings.
Good question. When beards were allowed originally I remember Chefs de France (3rd party) didn’t update their policy and their staff were stuck with the old rules. It may be up to the third party operator if they want to go with the new rules or keep the previous one.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disneyland was the star, everything else was in the supporting role. There's nothing racist or transphobic or misogynist about that concept, although some folks have revised history today to frame it that way. That's unfortunate and shows a clear lack of understanding about what the Disney Look was trying to do historically.
Nope - the standards were not just about making cast bland or fail to stand out - they were also about an image. An ideal prototype.

Consistency in the costume- yes. Consistency in behavior - yes. But standards like they had about hair, facial hair, etc were about the prototypical image they wanted to convey. Not about making you forget who that guy was... or forgetting individuals.

Stevie Amsterdam

Thank you for this elegant and insightful answer - I mean it🙏🏼

dreday3

Today, in the wild....(pic from another site)

tatoo.jpg

el_super

I really hope that Disney thought about the Disney park legacy/reputation among guests over the last few decades and how they want the parks to be perceived by guests in the future.

They did... and that's why they made the changes.

However, allowing someone to display their tattoo they got on their forearm that has no cultural/religious value beyond someone trying to express themselves doesn't seem like the right approach to me. While working, the cast member is representing Disney as a brand, not themselves- just like when you work at any company. But Disney has placed great value on their brand since the '50s, whereas Mcdonald's has not.

I think you're missing the broader point here: The Disney Brand is now going to include Cast Members representing themselves. That's why this is wholly appropriate now. This isn't a matter of Disney becoming more like McDonalds because they don't care how people see their employees. Disney still cares a great deal about how their employees are presented to the public. It just so happens that, to Disney, it is more important to present the image of a cast that is included and welcomed, are happy going to work, than one where they are unsoiled by ink.

Excluding Tattoos was excluding people from certain groups and backgrounds for no valid reason. Disney wants to hold themselves to their own standard of inclusion, and that takes more effort than you are giving them credit for.

This doesn't even touch on the huge decline in the quality of service CM's provide as a whole.

:rolleyes:

So now if the "Disney Look" is no different then any other amusement park, and if the level of service provided is not much better then anywhere else- what exactly is the Disney Difference? And at what point do we stop calling Disney employees the vanity term 'Cast Member" and start calling them "workers" like every other company?

The Disney Difference is an environment of Diversity and Inclusion. Disney is right to be proud of it.

There are a lot of changes that individually aren't a huge deal, but combined lead to an overall decrease in show quality.

The definition of "show" can and should be changed. And it was never more important in the four key hierarchy than the concept of courtesy. Not before or after the inclusion key. Some things are just more important. Trying to insist that some people should be excluded, in defiance of the public zeitgeist, in order to preserve some ancient and unnecessary tenant of theme park policy, is the quickest way to find your brand carted off to the dumpster of history.

el_super

Disney Imagineers do not work “on stage” nor do they work for Walt Disney World or Disneyland. They work for Walt Disney Imagineering.

Really? But there are so many stories of people overhearing them plotting world domination in the queue for the teacups? How can this be????

mightynine

I noticed it on the first photo, and I'd probably note it the first time I saw it in person, and then promptly forget about it.

If Chappy has his way, all cast members will probably be wearing bright green shirts with "Disney Cast Member" screenprinted on it with the freeware Disney script font everyone on Etsy uses by the end of the year, so some colorful tattoos might be nice to look at.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom