News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

Father Robinson

Oh, I agree. I'm also of the opinion that Disney goes out of their way to be tacky with most things. You don't need to throw 4,193 different images onto the castle all at once. Less is more.

What's wrong with Spaceship Earth as it is? How many millions of night-time photos has it appeared in because people have spent 39 years thinking it was/is already a beautiful sight to behold?
As of lately, I sure do tend to agree with the first part of this! As for the second, EXACTLY!

flutas

Got this pic last night.

Testing or was it just a very odd reflection or something else going on?

DA96AF2F-625B-4E91-9F23-2924804D716A.jpeg

Goofyernmost

Oh, I agree. I'm also of the opinion that Disney goes out of their way to be tacky with most things. You don't need to throw 4,193 different images onto the castle all at once. Less is more.

What's wrong with Spaceship Earth as it is? How many millions of night-time photos has it appeared in because people have spent 39 years thinking it was/is already a beautiful sight to behold?
I can't help but tell you how strongly I agree with the second paragraph. I respect the originality and actual beauty of the outer shell of SSE and hate to see it cheapened for some less then classy light show with permanent props. (i.e. Taco Lagoon)

That said, the first paragraph has a couple variables in it. First is that projections on any object are corrected by an off switch on the projectors. No harm done! Second as far a projection shows go of any type, WDW is an entertainment venue and tacky, gaudy or any other descriptive adjective meaning over the top is as much a part of the inner personality of a fantasy theme park as breathing is to the guests. Without that you would be paying a whole lot of money to be bored.

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
How many guests know the spires on Cinderella Castle are gold leaf?

That’s the real question.
Well I didn’t know that. Neat. My question still applies, though. If the average park guest is not able to physically see the chains, will it matter? They see the gold on the castle, yes, but will they see the chains?

msteel

I know it doesn't really matter, but at least the "safety chains" are wire rope with crimped thimbles. Much better both in safety and in appearance than actual chains would be.

And since I'm now in the thread, I'll say that I love Spaceship Earth and I would not want anything to ruin it's appearance.
From what I'm seeing this doesn't seem to go that far; and the lighting effect and/or mini-shows seem to have the potential to be quite nice.

I still may never see them in person, as at the moment I don't feel a WDW vacation has enough value to justify the expenditure it takes.

MadTeacup

The real question is how many guests notice them?
Not sure, but I do. I understand why they exist, but I find them unsightly in most installations. They were the first thing I noticed in the points of light pictures.

What I don't understand is why they didn't just go with a lighting design that uses smaller, more hidden points and added show programming to the current uplighting. Yes it wouldn't be AS dynamic, but it would still get the "point" across. 😉 That said, I'd have been happy to just have the current uplighting connected to the new main entrance lighting show control and just have it sync with the colors and patterns of the entrance lighting. My fear with the Points of Light project is that it's not actually designed to highlight Spaceship Earth, but to be a pretty light show installed on top of it. The way these lights work, there will likely be a lot of hot spots and shadow on the surface of the building and I fear this lighting is simply too gimmicky. To me, this does not look like a project that was conceived by a lighting designer, but merely implemented by one.

A better use of this money (strictly from a lighting standpoint) would have been to add a Tokyo-style light show to Space Mountain that would eventually tie into the show control for the lighting on Tron to help unify the land.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well I didn’t know that. Neat. My question still applies, though. If the average park guest is not able to physically see the chains, will it matter? They see the gold on the castle, yes, but will they see the chains?
If one guest does, it’s one too many. This company was renowned for the fine detail.

Hopefully they’ll be properly hidden further down, doubtful though since this would probably mean removing the outer panels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom