News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
Fully vaccinated... and we will STILL mask at WDW. Huh?

You see, we also worry about infecting OTHERS. Even vaccinated? We have little data on this :(. It would just kill us, to sicken a child that was NOT vaccinated :(.
The data is coming in quickly and it's all good news as far as these vaccines preventing both infection and transmission! Won't be long now.

RSoxNo1

celluloid

#NotALawyer, but I think there's a difference between a Vaccine that has FDA Approval vs. a Vaccine that has Emergency Use Approval. I know some employers would require Flu Shots for example and that's legal.

I am sure some specifics would go to the state but essentially any vaccination can be required as a term of employment. Hypothetically if other strains or Covid19 remains as bad or worse, many places of employment such as government workforces(Public Education etc...) could require a vaccination as part of employment.

G00fyDad

Fully vaccinated... and we will STILL mask at WDW. Huh?

You see, we also worry about infecting OTHERS. Even vaccinated? We have little data on this :(. It would just kill us, to sicken a child that was NOT vaccinated :(.

I truly wish more people cared about that. Instead they mask it (no pun intended) with silly garbage they hear from others that they then twist to fit their own desires. Then they shout it back to you as if it makes them not wearing a mask appropriate and that you are just being irrationally afraid.

G00fyDad

#NotALawyer, but I think there's a difference between a Vaccine that has FDA Approval vs. a Vaccine that has Emergency Use Approval. I know some employers would require Flu Shots for example and that's legal.

My son's employer (Kroger's food stores) told him yesterday that once he gets his second COVID shot that he will have a $150 bonus on his next check. No intimidation or pressure to get it. Just incentive.

tpac24

I’m already having nostalgia for Jun-Aug 2020 wait times. I’ve looked back on some pictures from both Disney and Universal during those times and they are just something we’ll probably never see again.
I was there the first week of April and it was crazy but the waits were never as long as the posted time.

tpac24

The current mask policy is all paper talk. It looks good on paper and that’s as far as it goes. Going to any point in the park I guarantee you that you can do a quick 360 spin and see at least one person breaking the current mask policy. Either they have it pulled down below their chin, they are eating/drinking on an internal line, or they have it off completely on a ride.

Every time I’ve seen it I’ve looked for a cast member to see what they would do. Many times they ignore the situation even when they directly interact with the person (give them directions for a ride for example).

When they do address it they have the very meager “hey, next time make sure you have your mask up”. I saw this on Everest where the family behind me had their masks off the entire ride. All they got was a that simple “don’t do it again” but nothing more. The rule is very loosely being enforced while the signs and the audio recordings keep reminding you of them.

Does anyone even have a record of someone being ejected from the parks for simply not wearing a mask? Not that they aren’t permitted in without a mask or they were unruly and physical, simply that they didn’t wear their mask when required and they were ejected? It’s stated all over the park but it’s really a weak policy just for the sake of covering themselves with the lawyers.
Probably because even the CM knows how silly it is to wear one outside!

""A year after cities closed playgrounds and public parks, fearing the spread of the virus in shared outdoor spaces, plenty of evidence has accumulated showing that outdoor transmission is rare. That means recommendations around wearing a mask outside don’t need to be as strict either.

“One of the strongest findings from the literature is that transmission is reduced outdoors relative to indoors,” says Jonathan Proctor, a postdoctoral fellow at the Harvard Data Science Initiative and the Center for the Environment. The reason is fairly intuitive: The virus has plenty of places to go besides up your nose.

“There’s a lot of air in which the droplets and the viral particles can disperse,” says Lisa Lee, a public health expert at Virginia Tech and former official at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.""

Touchdown

I’m already having nostalgia for Jun-Aug 2020 wait times. I’ve looked back on some pictures from both Disney and Universal during those times and they are just something we’ll probably never see again.
Clearly you’ve never been to the park a day before a hurricane. I have, with my brother. Walked onto everything at Universal, left at 3ish to drive to Tampa to ride out the storm (which was coming from the Atlantic, and only sideswiped Tampa overnight.)

G00fyDad

Probably because even the CM knows how silly it is to wear one outside!

""A year after cities closed playgrounds and public parks, fearing the spread of the virus in shared outdoor spaces, plenty of evidence has accumulated showing that outdoor transmission is rare. That means recommendations around wearing a mask outside don’t need to be as strict either.

“One of the strongest findings from the literature is that transmission is reduced outdoors relative to indoors,” says Jonathan Proctor, a postdoctoral fellow at the Harvard Data Science Initiative and the Center for the Environment. The reason is fairly intuitive: The virus has plenty of places to go besides up your nose.

“There’s a lot of air in which the droplets and the viral particles can disperse,” says Lisa Lee, a public health expert at Virginia Tech and former official at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.""

But you are comparing the idea of being outside in a general day-to-day life of an individual versus being at a Disney park shoulder-to-shoulder a lot of the time. I don't care if they mandate 6' social distance. It is not being enforced the way some say it is. The transmission rate can be as high as indoors when you are jammed into a theme park that close to others. Being outdoors does not just magically make physics stop working. Want proof? (Not to be nasty or anything but...) Have you ever been outside at a theme park and someone walks past you after passing gas? Did you get a whiff of it? Yes. So please do not tell me that a 4' to 5' ejection of air from a person's lungs cannot transmit to someone just because they are outside. :)

CaptainAmerica

Been here for almost a week now and I'm shocked to observe that the biggest problem with masks is *not* comfort. We've had zero issues wearing masks all day, including kids 6 and 3.

The problem has been communication. In a lot of cases, you have a mask, a face shield, a plexiglass barrier, and another mask in between a cast-and-guest interaction. Combine that with a noisy environment and it's absolutely awful. Even not being able to read facial expressions has had a bigger impact on my experience than I thought it would. I miss good morning smiles and strangers laughing with my baby on the bus.

Then there's the rain. Oooooh the rain. A wet mask could rightly be described as torture.

G00fyDad

But the fact that a vaccination simulating a previous infection prevented severe infection and thereby transmission was known long before COVID. That is how a vaccine works. There is no new data coming in. It is simply confirmation of what was once settled science. Just as cloth masks being useless against aerosolized viral transmission.

This vaccine does not work the same as other vaccines (flu) work.

file-20201117-23-1joiln2.jpg

stevebwv

Been here for almost a week now and I'm shocked to observe that the biggest problem with masks is *not* comfort. We've had zero issues wearing masks all day, including kids 6 and 3.

The problem has been communication. In a lot of cases, you have a mask, a face shield, a plexiglass barrier, and another mask in between a cast-and-guest interaction. Combine that with a noisy environment and it's absolutely awful. Even not being able to read facial expressions has had a bigger impact on my experience than I thought it would. I miss good morning smiles and strangers laughing with my baby on the bus.

Then there's the rain. Oooooh the rain. A wet mask could rightly be described as torture.
A wet mask is more than useless.

Sad you describe this as torture but say comfort was not the biggest problem. When we have descended to torture not being our biggest problem we are lost.

ImperfectPixie

But the fact that a vaccination simulating a previous infection prevented severe infection and thereby transmission was known long before COVID. That is how a vaccine works. There is no new data coming in. It is simply confirmation of what was once settled science. Just as cloth masks being useless against aerosolized viral transmission.
So much misinformation...so little time.

stevebwv

This vaccine does not work the same as other vaccines (flu) work.

View attachment 549009
Absolutely true. No mRNA has ever been approved by the FDA (I am not arguing against its efficacy, I believe it works with near zero risk) . It is a different process resulting in the same end. The infection from COVID as with the flu post-vaccination is minimal. Just a different process to get the body to respond.

G00fyDad

Absolutely true. No mRNA has ever been approved by the FDA (I am not arguing against its efficacy, I believe it works with near zero risk) . It is a different process resulting in the same end. The infection from COVID as with the flu post-vaccination is minimal. Just a different process to get the body to respond.

I swear by the Pfizer vaccine. I mean, this third arm I now have can be useful at times but try sleeping on your back with it.

CaptainAmerica

Carry spares, use an umbrella, ask for a disposable mask from a CM, etc. There are ways to prevent wearing a wet mask. Heck, a mask can become wet from sweat alone in the Florida heat. Anyone going to Disney right now with only one mask is just asking for issues.
I brought 12 masks. Spares aren't useful when it's raining sideways at 3 inches per hour. No poncho or umbrella is going to save you. They weren't just damp, people were literally wringing them out on the sidewalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom