Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

D.Silentu

If so it'd look really out of place compared to the other portraits. Unless those were updated as well.

If every portrait became bright 4K OLED screens then the ride will lose a lot of its charm.
It has been noted that the new April/December image was created with different technology than the rest of the changing portraits. This may be why they chose to stage it apart from the others. I am not sure if you have been to the Hogwarts attraction, but the ace of their effect is that the pictures do not seem to project light, making them appear more realistic as moving paintings. I would be more concerned about over lighting the scene if I didn't feel that it had already been done years ago and there is no more ground to lose on that front.

George Lucas on a Bench

I honestly don't mind the lighting in what all you people are calling "The Boundless Realm." I just call it the Load Area, if you will. The Part Where You Get On The Ride, even. It needs more rubber spiders. I've never seen it with The Original Lighting so I don't know if you could always see that the chandeliers are hung by really, really long chains. You also can't go wrong with cloudy projections on a wall. It's incredibly charming.

CaptinEO

It has been said that the new April/December image was created with different technology than the rest of the changing portraits. I am not sure if you have been to the Hogwarts attraction, but the ace of their effect is that the pictures do not seem to project light, making them appear more realistic as moving paintings. I would be more concerned about over lighting the scene if I didn't feel that it had already been done years ago and there is no more ground to lose on that front..
Oh yes I have been to Hogwarts. Those look like actual moving oil paintings and even keep the oil painting texture.

This looks like a poorly projected bright image, you can even see the projector directly in front of this portrait.

britain

Theres a weird metallic obiect directly in front of the portrait.

No, that's a lamp that is supposed to be "lighting" the oil painting. The real projector is behind the wall.

That load room is darker than the hallway of portraits, so it may have been determined to cheat and let April be a little brighter in order to be seen. These corporate videos are not to be trusted anyway - they've probably enhanced it alot.

CaptinEO

No, that's a lamp that is supposed to be "lighting" the oil painting. The real projector is behind the wall.

That load room is darker than the hallway of portraits, so it may have been determined to cheat and let April be a little brighter in order to be seen. These corporate videos are not to be trusted anyway - they've probably enhanced it alot.

There's a light sconce right below it, which isn't a projector. Those are meant to illuminate... a painting. Am I missing another object?
Thank you

yensidtlaw1969

Given what we know about the Permit that was filed for this work, it's very likely that April/December is likely accomplished with a flat Monitor set into the wall rather than a Projector. Though they do have the space for a projection, simply because the other side of that wall USED to be the Projection Room for the Changing Portrait Hallway (which also no longer require actual projectors).

DavidDL

Former Haunted Mansion CM here. For anyone whose unaware, these paintings are all connected to one larger, dark room on the other side of the wall, with projection boxes synced to them. Kind of like shooting a changing image via projection box towards a one-way mirror. The permit must've been so they can punch out another square hole in the wall of that room facing towards the load zone.

EDIT: Here's a crudely done MS paint drawing to illustrate. Red are the changing portraits, with April/December added near the load belt.
magic.png

Last edited:

CraftyFox

There's a light sconce right below it, which isn't a projector. Those are meant to illuminate... a painting. Am I missing another object?
In museum design, paintings in dimly lit galleries often feature small lights above them to illuminate the work. I’m assuming that with the 19th century technology seen throughout the mansion, an overhead light would be significantly less feasible (see old theatre stage lights being on the ground rather than suspended) and thus the below-painting opera-style sconce.

C3AA90F8-4D43-45E9-A539-A7B6AC61BCB4.jpeg

Stevek

Our main concern was the removal of the hanging corpse. Seems like they re still considering it. Happy to see it still there but concerned long term.

As far as the changes they all appear to be tasteful and I have no issues with them. Happy to see the April / December portrait back although I am concerned they made the boundless realm too bright. I’ll take the boundless realm over a faux looking changing portrait hallway extension. But I’ve also gone on record saying I prefer boundless realm for how it helps us transition onto the doom buggy’s psychologically. Not sure I like that extra tall fencing to your left as you make a right out of the changing portraits hallway.
Yeah, the fencing was really the only oddity...wasn't sure what the purpose was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom