Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

Brer Oswald

Give it 2-5 years. He ll be gone. They just want to space out their cancel culture activities and not **** off too much of their core fans at the same time. Especially Mansion fans. They know what a cash cow the Haunted Mansion is for them. Plus Suicide isn’t as hot a topic as Racial tension as soon as it is he’ll be replaced with a projection of some phantom flying around.
I doubt it very much. Suicide is not treated as a real issue. And Mansion is the cash cow.

Very surprised to see LA Times pick it up. But I don’t see the “progressive” Disney fans holding the company to this.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

This bit from the LA times article has me thinking.

"Recently, some have called for the the removal of a hanging scene in the Haunted Mansion, noting its association with suicide and lynchings.

Disney has heard those complaints, but for now, the scene will remain unchanged. “It’s been discussed for sure,” says Disney’s Michele Hobbs, who managed the Haunted Mansion refurbishment. “It’s definitely something that we’re thinking about.”"

My personal feelings about the changing of this scene aside, what do think they could possibly replace this effect with? During Holiday it works well enough but while it's regular Mansion, the removal of this effect would likely constitute a complete change in narration in the scene. What else could be considered, "my way?". The entire context of the stretching room would likely need to change if Master Gracey's hanging corpse is removed some day. It would be a shame to lose that. What do you guys think could possibly make it work?
It is not 'MASTER GRACEY" at Disneyland. that is disney world made up crap. at Disneyland the mansion has no true owner. it just a hang out for ghosts from around the world. Keep that gracey crap in florida where it belongs.

George Lucas on a Bench

I doubt it very much. Suicide is not treated as a real issue. And Mansion is the cash cow.

Very surprised to see LA Times pick it up. But I don’t see the “progressive” Disney fans holding the company to this.

Who are the people calling for the removal? It's an extremely stupid question by the paper to try to stir up controversy that simply doesn't exist. It's a tiny minority of people and apparently the LA Times advocating for removing a skeleton from a haunted house? Screw 'em.

fctiger

This all seems like a genuine plussing of the ride. The negatively around what seem like minor upgrades is truly baffling.

You know Disney fans and their nostalgia. Honestly looking at the video I don't even think I would've noticed most of the stuff if they didn't point it out before hand. It looks fine.

VicariousCorpse

Are you really complaining about 1 cat that was reference to an original design by X Atencio?
For those that don't know, it's a reference to this concept art by X Atencio.
maxresdefault.jpg
In one of the early drafts of the story done by Atencio, the black cat played a role that would be evolved into what the raven/ghost host character does in the ride and earlier drafts.

DavidDL

It is not 'MASTER GRACEY" at Disneyland. that is disney world made up crap. at Disneyland the mansion has no true owner. it just a hang out for ghosts from around the world. Keep that gracey crap in florida where it belongs.

Easy there, buddy. I'm speaking to a general mythos. It's clearly our Ghost Host's corpse if his narration explains that it was "his way" of escaping. Like it or not, that host could be conceived as Gracey, especially after the ill-fated 2003 film shows him to have hung himself, his tombstone in Anahiem's graveyard and a changing portrait in the hallway which commonly purports to show him.

For the record, I'd vote against the bigger issue of touching the stretching room too much, if I had any sort of say in it. There's better uses for your energy. But that hasn't even been confirmed yet. Them "thinking about it" could very well mean them "thinking about not wanting to change it" as much as it could mean them "wanting to".

Either way, nothing's confirmed yet. No reason to waste your energy or anger on something that may or may not even be a problem, yet.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I doubt they showed us ALL the changes they did. I am still willing to bet they did put in the on ride photo and god help them if they changed the hithhiking ghosts. we will have to wait for the first ride throughs when the park re-opens to appear on line to see all they did.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Easy there, buddy. I'm speaking to a general mythos. It's clearly our Ghost Host's corpse if his narration explains that it was "his way" of escaping. Like it or not, that host could be conceived as Gracey, especially after the ill-fated 2003 film shows him to have hung himself, his tombstone in Anahiem's graveyard and a changing portrait in the hallway which commonly purports to show him.

For the record, I'd vote against the bigger issue of touching the stretching room too much, if I had any sort of say in it. There's better uses for your energy. But that hasn't even been confirmed yet. Them "thinking about it" could very well mean them "thinking about not wanting to change it" as much as it could mean them "wanting to".

Either way, nothing's confirmed yet. No reason to waste your energy or anger on something that may or may not even be a problem, yet.
No. it just a hanging skeleton and i don't believe it refers to suicide or that is the ghosts host body. i always took it as murder. as his way out was death. and he shows a body not necessarily his body. but there is no master gracey at disneyland .never has been never will be.

Brer Oswald

No. it just a hanging skeleton and i don't believe it refers to suicide or that is the ghosts host body. i always took it as murder. as his way out was death. and he shows a body not necessarily his body. but there is no master gracey at disneyland .never has been never will be.
It is a suicide joke. “My way” is his way to death. The old script has the crow referring to it as “the coward’s way”.

They aren’t taking it out. Relax. 0% chance.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

It is a suicide joke. “My way” is his way to death. The old script has the crow referring to it as “the coward’s way”.

They aren’t taking it out. Relax. 0% chance.
I always took it as death in general was the only way out by becoming one of the ghosts. that is why i love the mansion. its ageneral haunted house with no set story and man interpitations of things can be given.

VJ

Considering they're plugging New Foliage with an extremely terrible Kim Irvine narrated video, I want to say this is all they've got for changes.
I have a feeling this video is ignoring whatever elephant in the room the Imagineers are scared to mention... the end of the video says there are more improvements than the one in the video.

DavidDL

The LA times article had a pretty extensive list of the changes they are making for this refurb. On the whole, it all seems positive. Mostly minor stuff to add to the ambience and general mystery of the attraction. They talk about the April/December addition, minor changes to the drapes, some new flooring in the foyer, a new floating chair in Madame' Leota's room, a new prop or two (including a dollhouse) for the attic, along with the new foliage and a new pet headstone or two outside.

I don't think we'll see much more than that. Nothing at the level that folks are worried about.

That all seems very positive, to me and I'm sure it will look great. The only (very minor) worries I have are over the line about them possibly removing the skeleton from the stretching room (a problem which admittedly, has not happened yet) and with the new temp looking wall across from April/December. I'm sure it'll look nicer in person, I just hope that it doesn't obscure too much of our view of the "boundless realm" loading area. During normal Mansion it's not an issue but during Holiday, I don't think it's a good idea to try and obscure the wonderful advent calendar from Guests in line. Maybe it'll be a non-issue, I haven't seen it for myself yet!

In any case, with any change, the positive side of it means that if they're willing to adjust or update anything; it means they plan on keeping it long term. I'd certainly hate to lose Mansion in my lifetime. Any future changes just assuage my fears of that happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom