Cars Land After a Decade: How Are We Feeling?

mickEblu

Carsland is the weakest theme. I think only Raider Spring Racers will be the only last standing attraction that will stand of time. Everything else will be obsolete in degrading popularity.

I mean Jumpin Jellyfish has been up for 20 years and counting so I think they have a good shot. But seriously, those rides will always be popular. Remember that eventually (rather quickly actually) the nostalgia created is not for the movie or any particular IP but to the places you are experiencing those attractions and making those memories. Disneyland and DCA.

TrainsOfDisney

Carsland is the weakest theme. I think only Raider Spring Racers will be the only last standing attraction that will stand of time. Everything else will be obsolete in degrading popularity.
You do realize that a vast majority of guests visiting a theme park want to ride attractions like junkyard jamboree and Luigi’s dancing cars?

I argue that lands that don’t have flat rides are the incomplete ones. Now they should be well done and up to a Disney standard, but they should exist both because guests enjoy them, and also because they add and incredible amount of kinetic energy.

I mean there’s a reason dumbo and the tea cups are practically icons of the Disney Parks.

Professortango1

Carsland succeeds because of RSR and how gorgeous the exterior rockwork is. The land itself is charming, but it does lack life. A drive in restaurant and a darkride would complete the land, even if they pulled out Luigis to do so. I also wish Mater's was off the beaten path rather than right near the hub of the park. Its not a very attractive looking attraction.

DanielBB8

I’m sure Hollywood Pictures Backlot is dropping off one ride at a time. This is due to how lackluster it was designed and constructed.

EPCOTCenterLover

"Your description reminds me of the old days of Tomorrowland Terrace (1967 version). You sat right in the middle of the "world in motion". All around you there was motion: the subs gliding by; monorails departing and arriving with their distinctive horn' Skyway gondolas rising into the air; Carousel of Progress turning; Peoplemover popping their lids around the station and moving past on all sides; and Rocket Jets spinning high over head. Plus you had the bandstand periodically rising up out of the ground! You almost overlooked the mediocre hamburger (which wasn't nearly as overpriced back then) and having to drink Coke instead of Pepsi."

You are SO right! I used to spend a lot of time in Tomorrowland. Now, it's Space Mountain and maybe Star Tours and I'm done.

BayouShack

I also wish Mater's was off the beaten path rather than right near the hub of the park. Its not a very attractive looking attraction.

Agreed.

Always thought thought Maters could go in the place of Luigi’s (though keep the Luigi’s storefront for a shop). Mater’s entrance can be off the beaten path like you said. Move Sarge’s and the hippie joint over there too. The front third of the land is a pretty poor use of space. It didn’t have to such a literal translation of the town from the movie.

It’s inevitable that they’ll have to downsize the land at some point. Space is finite, and the land is one of the least efficient uses of spaces in the resort.

Back on topic: Carsland works! It helps that it’s an alluring theme independent of the movie, and the rockwork is beautiful.

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

Another vote for a Drive-in Restaurant ala Sci-Fi in FL! :)

But I'll add my often-minority opinion that a) Cars is one of my favorite Pixar films and b) I think Cars Land is beautiful and charming and one of the best Disney parks lands in existence. That said, I can't go on a single attraction there (drop, spin, whip - none of which are good for my head). And I still love it. It's loud and bright and colorful and has characters and great spots for photo ops and used to have a charming show (DJ's Dance n' Drive) which I miss. It has some solid food options - love Flo's and have MISSED the flavored popcorn at the Cozy Cone (dill pickle FTW!). It is joyful and musical and fun.

Sitting at Flo's listening to music and watching the RSR cars zoom by is delightful and has a nostalgic CA/Route 66 feeling. It's a perfect fit for this park.

And it has one of the most magical experiences in any Disney park anywhere - the "Sh-Boom" moment at dusk as the land lights up with neon fills my heart every single time I see it. And I can't wait to see and hear it again. ♥️

waltography

Another vote for a Drive-in Restaurant ala Sci-Fi in FL! :)

But I'll add my often-minority opinion that a) Cars is one of my favorite Pixar films and b) I think Cars Land is beautiful and charming and one of the best Disney parks lands in existence. That said, I can't go on a single attraction there (drop, spin, whip - none of which are good for my head). And I still love it. It's loud and bright and colorful and has characters and great spots for photo ops and used to have a charming show (DJ's Dance n' Drive) which I miss. It has some solid food options - love Flo's and have MISSED the flavored popcorn at the Cozy Cone (dill pickle FTW!). It is joyful and musical and fun.

Sitting at Flo's listening to music and watching the RSR cars zoom by is delightful and has a nostalgic CA/Route 66 feeling. It's a perfect fit for this park.

And it has one of the most magical experiences in any Disney park anywhere - the "Sh-Boom" moment at dusk as the land lights up with neon fills my heart every single time I see it. And I can't wait to see and hear it again. ♥️
That stretch of walkway between Flo's and RSR on the way to Pacific Wharf is by far one of the best quiet spots in the resort. They couldn't have designed it any better, a rarity for modern Imagineering.

Rich T

Still love Cars Land. In addition to the mind-blowing wonderfulness of the RSR ride area, tbere’s a lot of charm, humor and warm fuzzies in the land, and Mater’s is a great flat ride for all ages.

They should turn Filmore’s Geodesic Dome into the entry to a sunk-into-the-ground, psychedelic-themed Rotor Ride (that’s the one where you stick to the wall of a spinning room and the floor drops away).

Last edited:

mickEblu

That stretch of walkway between Flo's and RSR on the way to Pacific Wharf is by far one of the best quiet spots in the resort. They couldn't have designed it any better, a rarity for modern Imagineering.

Which is crazy because it’s also one of, if not the best vistas in the park. What a feat to create that vista and also have it be one of the lesser used intimate paths.

MarvelCharacterNerd

It really is one of the few not only true beauty spots in the park, but one of those extraordinary points where you really can believe you are in another world entirely and the real world, though so close by, seems entirely distant.

The only other point I really used to feel that completely isolated from the world was in the before times on the Rivers of America (the longer version pre-SWGE). That also felt like its own private world; a complete escape.

CaptinEO

Regardless of me thinking the land is way too big, it adds much needed charm and fun to a park that needs it. Even the flat rides are a bonus.

fctiger

Still love Cars Land to death and never seen any of those movies! Great land and my family loves to go. It made DCA in so many ways.

EPCOTCenterLover

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 7.46.40 AM.png

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
It was announced as part of Cars Land.
This I did not know. I’m trying to think of a space in which it could have gone and I can’t think of one, assuming the current version of what’s there now (with the Flying Tires) were still in the plans when Cars Land was announced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom