News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Oh it’s absolutely terrible. I did a count. The number of Fantasyland rides from opening to today at WDW are equal. Even after a major overhaul, the net total of attractions in the land has not changed.

Magic Kingdom is the most attended theme park in the world. The wasted space in Fantasyland is insane.
WDW needs to spread their rides among 4 parks compared to Anaheim's two.

Both Orlando and Anaheim have just about the same amount of rides, but with WDW, they're spread out more.

Anaheim, short of their DisneyForward expansion (that may never come about), can only add new rides by cramming them in tightly in the space they have.

Brer Oswald

Both Orlando and Anaheim have just about the same amount of rides, but with WDW, they're spread out more.

Anaheim, short of their DisneyForward expansion (that may never come about), can only add new rides by cramming them in tightly in the space they have.
I’m specifically talking about Fantasyland. Much bigger land in Orlando than Anaheim. The utilization of space in that land is not good.

BayouShack

I do believe the company is banking on that logic prevailing. But Disneyland CA expects you to spend 2-3 days at the park, compared to the 5+ days WDW pushes for. (I had to look it up: WDW sells up to 10-day multi day passes. Disneyland sells up to 5-days)

In encouraging at least double the amount of days to WDW vacationers, they’re over promising and under delivering. That kind of that “the guest is too naive to notice” cheapens the brand.

PiratesMansion

I don't know that I would positively compare Shanghai's Fantasyland to any other Fantasyland.

I mean, it has the cool updated Pan, but the aesthetic is off, there's areas where there's just nothing, and there's no kinetics or anything of visual interest other than the castle and the maze.

At least Hong Kong's is charming and has IASW! Even WDW's is charming-ish compared to what Shanghai has going on.

mickEblu

It's fine...just another indication that our fanbase is looking for anything to ridicule. 99.9% of the people that walk by this poster won't give a rats **** about the artwork.

As the person who I assume your referring to or at least sparked your post I’ll respond. Dont generalize just because you don’t care about them. If they were tiki bars or tiki mugs you’d probably have a stronger opinion. Also kind of a strong statement to make no? When all I did was give my honest opinion / detailed response of why I feel the old posters are superior?

Stevek

As the person who I assume your referring to or at least sparked your post I’ll respond. Dont generalize just because you don’t care about them. If they were tiki bars or tiki mugs you’d probably have a stronger opinion. Also kind of a strong statement to make no? When all I did was give my honest opinion / detailed response of why I feel the old posters are superior?
I honestly didn't remember who posted it but I still do believe that we, as a fanbase, are overly critical of everything, some deservedly, some not...and things like a different or unique version of an attraction poster aren't really something that I would spend the energy to get worked up about. I absolutely love attraction posters by the way, have 5 large matted and framed ones on my wall at home and they are all classics (Peoplemover, ATIS, SM, Pirates, Matterhorn) and beautiful pieces of art. The poster art book book is one of my favorite Disney art books of all time and I've spent many hours going through the pages admiring the artwork.

I'm probably the least snobbish person when it comes to tiki mugs. I buy what I like, 99.9% of them only from bars I visit. I may not like a lot of what other people buy or what is in the market but if people like something I don't like, it's fine.

I still really don't believe that most guests turn a critical eye on the posters in the tunnels like folks here might and my intention was never to tell you whether your opinion was valid or not...just that for me personally, I couldn't relate to getting upset about it. I can't related to social clubs, APs that hangout at DL multiple times a week or vloggers either but if the aren't hurting anyone, let them do their thing...doesn't affect me, but a lot of people here get very worked up about those things.

If I've ever come off as trying to be superior, I apologize. I don't think I've ever tried to portray that here or any other site. I value everyone's opinion and try not to have an overbearing personality here. I'm quite literally 180 degrees from that in the offline world so I don't think I could even figure out how to act superior online.

mickEblu

I honestly didn't remember who posted it but I still do believe that we, as a fanbase, are overly critical of everything, some deservedly, some not...and things like a different or unique version of an attraction poster aren't really something that I would spend the energy to get worked up about. I absolutely love attraction posters by the way, have 5 large matted and framed ones on my wall at home and they are all classics (Peoplemover, ATIS, SM, Pirates, Matterhorn) and beautiful pieces of art. The poster art book book is one of my favorite Disney art books of all time and I've spent many hours going through the pages admiring the artwork.

I'm probably the least snobbish person when it comes to tiki mugs. I buy what I like, 99.9% of them only from bars I visit. I may not like a lot of what other people buy or what is in the market but if people like something I don't like, it's fine.

I still really don't believe that most guests turn a critical eye on the posters in the tunnels like folks here might and my intention was never to tell you whether your opinion was valid or not...just that for me personally, I couldn't relate to getting upset about it. I can't related to social clubs, APs that hangout at DL multiple times a week or vloggers either but if the aren't hurting anyone, let them do their thing...doesn't affect me, but a lot of people here get very worked up about those things.

If I've ever come off as trying to be superior, I apologize. I don't think I've ever tried to portray that here or any other site. I value everyone's opinion and try not to have an overbearing personality here. I'm quite literally 180 degrees from that in the offline world so I don't think I could even figure out how to act superior online.

No worries but who said I was upset? Nor did I say anyone would be upset about it. I have a critical eye and I like what I like but I’m not upset.

yensidtlaw1969

It's fine...just another indication that our fanbase is looking for anything to ridicule. 99.9% of the people that walk by this poster won't give a rats **** about the artwork.
I mean, in fairness, some of those older posters are graphically unimpeachable. There's a reason the park has sold prints of them in dozens of sizes for decades - because many people like to hang them as works of art in their houses.

I can survive this new Snow White poster being rather uninspired, but let's not pretend there's no pantheon here to aspire to. Some of Disneyland's attraction posters are absolutely spectacular.

yensidtlaw1969

After the reimagining of WDW Fantasyland, I'd expect Shanghai to knock it out of the park. Missed opportunity in my book.
I always say that the team at Disneyland Paris seemed to take the route of using every lesson Disney ever learned over all the Fantasylands they built to create theirs (to great success), and that Shanghai's team seemed to throw out the book and assume they could do basically just as well by winging it (Spoiler alert: They couldn't).

It's shocking how awkward, inefficient, and underwhelming Shanghai's Fantasyland is. You really would have thought it would have been more informed by the lessons learned from WDW's New Fantasyland, with the benefit of freedom from an existing Fantasyland layout to have to fit in as was the case in Florida. Instead they merely kept the Mine Train and Pooh, punched up Pan (to sometimes weird effect, if you ask me), and burdened the whole center of the land with a toothless boat ride that's permitted to offer neither kinetics or aesthetics to the land it travels through. They masked the whole thing off with landscaping for no discernible reason. It's so, *so* clear there was no meaningful vision behind the land. It's more a random collection of IP's than ever.

Stevek

I mean, in fairness, some of those older posters are graphically unimpeachable. There's a reason the park has sold prints of them in dozens of sizes for decades - because many people like to hang them as works of art in their houses.

I can survive this new Snow White poster being rather uninspired, but let's not pretend there's no pantheon here to aspire to. Some of Disneyland's attraction posters are absolutely spectacular.
Nothing I can remember recently has approached the quality of the old school posters, which as I mentioned before, I have hanging in my house. I have a great appreciation for those posters. I’d love to hear people’s opinion on the last great poster Disney created.

George Lucas on a Bench

The poster is bad and so is the name. I will never accept it. I know they've ruined my favorite dark ride and bimbo Kim Irvine is taking a swig of wine right now oh so proud of herself. She ruins everything. They replaced a beautiful macabre spookhouse ride with this toddler version. Just put it out of its misery and turn it into a DVC booth.

mickEblu

☝️

yensidtlaw1969

Nothing I can remember recently has approached the quality of the old school posters, which as I mentioned before, I have hanging in my house. I have a great appreciation for those posters. I’d love to hear people’s opinion on the last great poster Disney created.
My bad! I must have missed that post. Yes, many of them were and are fantastic.

I do enjoy the Mr. Toad poster they came up with a few years back - I don't know if I'd quite put it at the level of the classics, but it does a decent job capturing the vibe of the originals and feels like it's older than it is. Does anyone remember the actual year it was released?

s-l400.jpg

EPCOTCenterLover

SteveK, I’ve never viewed you as negative at all! I find your insights well informed and always a good read.

Brer Oswald

For what it’s worth, the old Snow White poster wasn’t that great. I think Toad and Alice are the gold standard for FL attraction posters. I think if they would have gone with the characters posed as they made them in the new poster, but gave it an artstyle that fit with the old posters, this would’ve been a smash hit. However, they went with an artstyle that isn’t much better then the early-mid 2000s soulless Disney character art. So meh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom