Question around Star Wars Day at Sea

Schweino

Original Poster
Hello All. First, I have never looked at Disney cruises in much detail. Always thought they were overpriced compared to RC/Carnival and I could get equal amounts of 'adult' fun. However, someone let me know there is such thing as Star Wars cruises and I immediately became interested.

Has anyone done this before in the past? It looks like it is just only one day where you get to experience it, and if that rings true, not sure its worth the $4500 price tag (we prefer balcony). I could spend about 40% less on RC/Carnival. Open to opinions about the experience and if I am misguided! TIA!

ChuckElias

Hi @Schweino ! Nice to see you here! DCL definitely charges a premium, compared to RCCL or even Celebrity. I know we have some poster here who love DCL when they travel with kids/grandkids, but prefer Celebrity when traveling adults-only. So you're right about pricing, for sure.

Having said that, I've been on a ton of DIsney cruises and love them for a lot of reasons, with kids or without. BUT. . . I've never done a Star Wars at Sea sailing myself. I know that we have people in the forum who have posted about their experiences with Star Wars at Sea. So hopefully, one of them will see your post and reply. But it's so slow on the forum lately that they might not be around much. So, I think you might be able to search the forum for "wars" and find a few threads that talk about it. (Although the search function seems to be malfunctioning at the moment. . . )

Good luck!

Schweino

Original Poster
Hi @Schweino ! Nice to see you here! DCL definitely charges a premium, compared to RCCL or even Celebrity. I know we have some poster here who love DCL when they travel with kids/grandkids, but prefer Celebrity when traveling adults-only. So you're right about pricing, for sure.

Having said that, I've been on a ton of DIsney cruises and love them for a lot of reasons, with kids or without. BUT. . . I've never done a Star Wars at Sea sailing myself. I know that we have people in the forum who have posted about their experiences with Star Wars at Sea. So hopefully, one of them will see your post and reply. But it's so slow on the forum lately that they might not be around much. So, I think you might be able to search the forum for "wars" and find a few threads that talk about it. (Although the search function seems to be malfunctioning at the moment. . . )

Good luck!
Traveling with Kids makes total sense :) Will try searching again later - could be a temp site issue. Thanks Chuck!

jme

I've done the Marvel Day at Sea, which is for all intents and purposes, the "same" with a different franchise.

And while I can espouse the value of DCL to justify the premium as compared to other lines, I'll spare you the pitch.

You are correct the festivities focused around Star Wars will be confined, largely, to one day (at sea, with no ports of call).
That will include things like, character meet and greets, movie screenings, a special dinner menu, etc.
There are smaller things that will take place throughout - i.e. decor, snack items, exclusive merch, etc.
It's also fair to say that there will be some of the major character meet and greets throughout the duration, but on the "day at sea" you will experience far more, varied, and frequent M&Gs.

I would price out the two cruises you're interested in (DCL & RCCL) and make them as comparable as possible (room type, etc.) and get your prices, then find the delta between the two - and see if the difference in price is justifiable for the Star Wars festivities (as well as perhaps just the opportunity to try another cruise line if you find value in that)

Here is a thread with a link to a podcast trip report:

Surfin' Tuna

I would say JME hit the nail on the head. We have done the Star Wars cruise in the past, and people loved it. We are not huge Star Wars fans, so it was just okay in my opinion. We have mostly given up on other lines for various reasons, but I can say it would not be the deciding factor for me (even if I was a Star Wars super fan). If it is really $4500 between two cruises all other things as equal as possible, that's just too rich for what you get for Star Wars only. That all being said, I'd still do the DCL cruise over the other.

Schweino

Original Poster
I've done the Marvel Day at Sea, which is for all intents and purposes, the "same" with a different franchise.

And while I can espouse the value of DCL to justify the premium as compared to other lines, I'll spare you the pitch.

You are correct the festivities focused around Star Wars will be confined, largely, to one day (at sea, with no ports of call).
That will include things like, character meet and greets, movie screenings, a special dinner menu, etc.
There are smaller things that will take place throughout - i.e. decor, snack items, exclusive merch, etc.
It's also fair to say that there will be some of the major character meet and greets throughout the duration, but on the "day at sea" you will experience far more, varied, and frequent M&Gs.

I would price out the two cruises you're interested in (DCL & RCCL) and make them as comparable as possible (room type, etc.) and get your prices, then find the delta between the two - and see if the difference in price is justifiable for the Star Wars festivities (as well as perhaps just the opportunity to try another cruise line if you find value in that)

Here is a thread with a link to a podcast trip report:
Big thanks @jme for taking a moment! Will certainly take a look at that podcast. Appreciate you!

aliceismad

We've priced out so many Disney cruises. Royal and NCL are way cheaper, even on the big new boats. Sometimes as much as half the price. Carnival is even cheaper still. I still want to try one soon. Star Wars day at sea is basically the only way I can convince my hubby it might be worth it. But I think he might be disappointed by it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom